I fall down a lot. It is very annoying.

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 12:20 pm

Dear. I manage NOT to do that. Worst thing is my walking/gait might be 'weird' sometimes.
Or me on the bus and the inertia of the bus moving me around; but im holding onto a poll and I manage not to fall, etc. I have gotten to the annoying instances of my biting my cheek several times in a short amount of time and the swelling means I bite it again easier...

For the past week ive been very afe in my chewing so I won't bite my left cheek again. Glad that rarely happens to me.

Song-Without-Words
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2009, 8:24 pm

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a small child after having seizures. I trip up the stares, down the stairs, over my own feet, knees buckle under me, etc. etc......Loved that someone mentioned not being able to rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time-I can't do that either. I went to a neurologist once who told me that it was called motor overflow-basically one hand wants to mimic the movements of the other unconsciously. Even if your non-dominant hand does the mimicing at slower rate than the other hand, it still severely impacts the ability to do separate movements simultaneously with both hands.
It took me years to be able to type.
Brilliant idea about the cane. My ex found out that she was going blind, and they gave her a cane. She hated to use it. I tried to get her to use it, but sometimes I would eye it, thinking hey that would be great for me. I, too, can't judge myself in relation to others. I've been thinking of buying a cane-one of those cool looking hiking/ exercise walking canes just to see if it helps.
Has anyone here ever had someone get upset/annoyed with them because you keep bumping into them when they walk?
A former friend of mine really became irate with me and called me stupid because she said I walked too close to her. She claimed that she was claustrophobic-which I didn't think about most of the time with her, besides we were outside and the street wasn't ridiculously crowed......I don't recall bumping into her. She was angry that I couldn't read her body language, said that's why she kept moving away from me.
I tried to apologize, but it didn't work. That wasn't what ultimately ended the friendship, but I was really shocked initially. She was a "different" type of person herself, though not on the spectrum, or if she was, she would never admit to it..
Anyhow, this site is a big relief to me.......I've never met so many people who share so many of what I thought were just my quirks and issues.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2010, 9:47 pm

I use a cane sometimes. It makes me feel much steadier on my feet plus, after I'm sitting down, it gives me something to mess around with..to keep my hands busy. Downside is that my wife doesn't like it because it makes me 'look old'. Pity, because it really does help but I don't want her to be unhappy with me.

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2010, 5:37 am

I can relate.

I run into stuff all the time. Still, after 25 years, I have to warn my wife to KEEP THE RUNWAYS CLEAR. No low-hanging knick-knacks either.

As for the stumbling around, some time back I heard myself tell someone it's like I forget I'm there. I go away. The body naturally begins to fall. Then I come back, almost always just in time. I rarely fall.

Thanks to tai chi, I can stand on one leg and move gracefully -- when I'm thinking about it. Which doesn't last very long.

dp

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2010, 6:23 am

My friend's son kept on falling down when walking on flat surfaces. Took her a while to work out that it was because although the surface was flat, the gradient had changed ever so slightly upwards!

As for that thing about not being able to read body language, most of the time I don't even really look at people, let alone read whatever their flipping bodies are nattering about!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 11:39 am

I just keep the environment as clear of obstacles as possible, and if I can't, then practically everything physical that I do, I do very slowly and deliberately, as if I were running in the dark, until I feel that I know the environment well enough to increase my speed. The downside is that I don't get so much opportunity to show immediacy (which I've always felt to be very important) and that sometimes people probably mistake my slow responses for laziness or lack of enthusiasm.

I didn't work out those coping strategies consciously.....I just noticed that I was doing them when I got diagnosed with AS and saw that clumsiness was a common Aspie trait. Before that, I simply believed that I wasn't particularly clumsy.

Quote:
There are two kinds of people in the world:
Those who can rub their bellies in a circular motion with one hand and pat their heads at the same time with the other hand, and those who can't. I do not belong to the first category.

I can do that 8) But I had to practise it for some time before I could. I was quite young when I first heard of that "test" and was adamant that I wouldn't be beaten by it. Similarly, it took me a while to "separate" the actions of my left and right hands when playing keyboards, but it eventually worked fine, and now I think nothing of it. A harder test is the ability to play a full drum kit, because that requires the hands and the feet to do different things....still can't do that :(

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2010, 12:18 pm

I don't fall but I stumble a bit. My boyfriend calls me "bumbles" for that reason. :lol: