Different forms of AS according to chromosome variation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:39 am

I cut and pasted this from the abstract of some academic article which I found on the Internet a while ago, but the full article wasn't available:

"One form of Asperger syndrome (ASPG1) has been mapped to chromosome 3q, and another, ASPG2 (608631), has been mapped
to chromosome 17p. Two X-linked forms, ASPGX1 (300494) and ASPGX2 (300497), are associated with mutation in the NLGN3 gene (300336) and the NLGN4 gene (300427), respectively."

So my question is (if anyone happens to know), is there some mapping of symptoms to the four different forms of AS? I mean, could one look at oneself and say, "Oh, I am a hyperactive-OCD-blablabla etc. type of Aspie, therefore I must be ASPG1" -- or something like that?

The reason I am asking is because I thought it would be fun to have a T-shirt which says something like "Mutation in the NLGN3 gene (300336)" but I don't want to go and print the wrong thing on my shirt.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:49 am

Alphabetania wrote:
I cut and pasted this from the abstract of some academic article which I found on the Internet a while ago, but the full article wasn't available:

"One form of Asperger syndrome (ASPG1) has been mapped to chromosome 3q, and another, ASPG2 (608631), has been mapped
to chromosome 17p. Two X-linked forms, ASPGX1 (300494) and ASPGX2 (300497), are associated with mutation in the NLGN3 gene (300336) and the NLGN4 gene (300427), respectively."

So my question is (if anyone happens to know), is there some mapping of symptoms to the four different forms of AS? I mean, could one look at oneself and say, "Oh, I am a hyperactive-OCD-blablabla etc. type of Aspie, therefore I must be ASPG1" -- or something like that?

Wow, it would be really hard to demonstrate which forms caused which traits, at least conclusively.

Alphabetania wrote:
The reason I am asking is because I thought it would be fun to have a T-shirt which says something like "Mutation in the NLGN3 gene (300336)" but I don't want to go and print the wrong thing on my shirt.

How incredibly geeky! I love it!

Last edited by fiddlerpianist on 01 Jul 2009, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 12:05 pm

Thanks for this information.

What are the 4 different types of AS?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 1:45 pm

Agreed, I didn't know this and neither did I know there were different types.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 3:55 am

Alphabetania wrote:

fiddlerpianist wrote:

Oh. Er... goody, thanks. :wink: I was a bit worried that some autism activist was gonna say, "You can't go and do stuff like that! It doesn't foster understanding, it just creates even worse perceptions of us all being freaks bla bla bla blistering barnacles and a thundering typhoon!"

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 6:42 am

Alphabetania wrote:
Alphabetania wrote:

fiddlerpianist wrote:

Oh. Er... goody, thanks. :wink: I was a bit worried that some autism activist was gonna say, "You can't go and do stuff like that! It doesn't foster understanding, it just creates even worse perceptions of us all being freaks bla bla bla blistering barnacles and a thundering typhoon!"

The thing is that absolutely no one but you would get the joke, including other people with AS. We often have tendencies to tell jokes that we think are funny that no one else has even a remote chance of understanding. So to tell the kind of joke that is a characteristic of a condition which you are using to describe the condition just amuses me to no end. :)

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 7:41 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
The thing is that absolutely no one but you would get the joke, including other people with AS. We often have tendencies to tell jokes that we think are funny that no one else has even a remote chance of understanding. So to tell the kind of joke that is a characteristic of a condition which you are using to describe the condition just amuses me to no end. :)

Wow, that has, like, two meta-layers and one of those is askew from the tier below, so it would not even count as a meta-joke. My concentration is reserved for programming and other tasks today, and it is about time for another Ritalin now, so I will have to figure out what to name this category of joke some other time.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 10:00 am

give me one please....(jus kidding)

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 6:42 pm

I love the idea of the T-shirt and all good if no one gets it, good conversation starter...

But any articles found a while ago, I wonder if the autism world has moved on in there theories, as seem to be ever changing at present, still I quite like the idea we are as mysteries as the universe 8O

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2009, 6:59 pm

Why don't you post the blurb on the front of the shirt and then a U RL on the back? A link to your blog if you have one or whatever.

The U RL anyone would understand, NT or not. :lol: Most people would be soooooo curious they'd go home and look it up if they remembered it.