Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 8:47 pm

I know this has probably been mentioned before on WP, but I figured I would start a new thread. So would you take the cure for Asperger's Syndrome if it existed. I honestly don't know if I would or not.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2009, 8:52 pm

This topic has been mentioned before, but I will post. There is no way I would take a cure. I am happy with myself the way I am with AS. So my answer is, "No."

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 8:59 pm

I wish I had the same perspective today.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 9:06 pm

Definitely. Maybe I could get a decent job and have a girlfriend then.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2009, 9:08 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
I wish I had the same perspective today.

I have this philosophy of AS/autism as a gift. I say, "You have to unwrap it, accept it, nurture it, and then it will become a fascinating gift." For me, the autistic gift has been in intense special interests that I find incredibly fascinating and fun, and in my being a musical savant. I feel lucky and fortunate for that. Music, roller coasters and amusement parks, and house plans have gotten me through most of my life with satisfaction. I have challenges in my life too---like everyone else. But, I try to focus on the good things---those things that give me pleasure---those intense special interests of AS. Now I am trying to write a novel that is using a lot my intense special interests in it. I have always enjoyed writing too. So---try to find your interests and use them for fascinating discoveries.

outlander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2009, 9:37 pm

I would not trade my gifts for a cure. Now if the offer was that I could keep the gifts and add to my capacities, I might consider it, but it would have to be a CURE not just some sort of continuous treatment. But then I cannot imagine that any treatment would leave intact some of the things I can do because of being an Aspie. After 63 years of being who I am, I know how to live with me and I don't see the negatives so big anymore. I don't think I want someone messing with my psyche. Now if I could get some help improving some of my coping skills, Well maybe there is potential value there.

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2009, 9:39 pm

I would never take a cure.

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2009, 10:03 pm

Yes. I would become an extrovert and love it.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 10:06 pm

No effing way! I like who I am. I like the way I think, I like the way I am in the world.

It hasn't always been easy or fun; there have been some really messed up parts to my life. But after 50 years on the planet, I've noticed that NO ONE has an easy time of it... life is a b***h and then she has puppies! LOL

There are definitely some days when I'd like to find a cure for NTs, though. :)

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 10:08 pm

No. I like being stubborn, single-mindedly pursuing my interests. Not caring much about the crowd allows me more freedom than you can ever imagine.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 10:16 pm

Depends on what it "cures", really.

There's no denying that my sensory system isn't working properly, the same for my ability to interact with others (it wouldn't change my innate desire to be alone most times, as that's my introverted personality, not my deficits in reciprocal social interaction); just so I can interact when I need to, and without pain. Plus, it'd help with doing things I'd like to do (military); not being able to interact with one's species is somewhat detrimental in today's society.

However, I do enjoy the obsessive interest, and I wouldn't like to see that go and be replaced with a more broad and normal way of thinking. However again, this obsessive way of thinking is also a detriment in many ways (see: "exclusion of other appropriate activities"), which does make life hard to live in normal society.

Probably not, as I haven't known any different to how I am, and I hate change (hating change being another one of those ASD thingies, ironically).

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm

I had a thought last week...

If I was "cured" now, so late in life, it would actually make me less functional and far worse.

I am too used to being who I am, and too old to get used to being someone else.

The curebies really don't think of that.

05 Jun 2009, 10:27 pm

No.

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2009, 10:34 pm

Never.

brothersport
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2009, 10:38 pm

Yes, I'd take the cure. There is too much struggle and not enough fight left in me.

Can't make many friends since I'm "different" and typically have very little in common with other people.

Can't meet a significant other, not even sure how to start the process.

Can't get a good job. Interviews are difficult enough, let alone the process of searching.

Solitary hobbies, while an enormously comforting habit, is still a lonely life to lead. There are so many things I want to do, but I've just grown tired of doing them alone. Vacationing by yourself is no fun. Going to concerts by yourself gives the 'alone in a crowd' syndrome. Going shopping by yourself is not nearly as interesting. I feel like a pariah sitting by myself in a movie theater. I'm already self-conscious enough when eating in public, there's no way I'd ever want to dine alone in public.

What's a man to do?

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2009, 10:59 pm

If there was a cure, it would be acceptance (ironically.) People need to accept ASD for what it is and stop thinking those that have it are defective and a burden to the world. It was like that episode of Dr. Phil (can't remember which thread, but it's like on the first page of the General Autism topic) where that mom says that if she knew her twelve year old boy would have Down Syndrome and Autism she wouldn't let him come into this world. Makes me sick thinking about it.

Autism is a gift, and without it there would be hardly any contributions out here today, especially Stephen Spielberg and Pokemon. Funny most kids play Pokemon, but if they knew that an autistic person made it they would probably be in shock knowing how stupid they are.

As for me, I wouldn't take the cure. I already like the way I think and like how I act within the world. I don't like conformity, and when you're a teen conformity just gets worse. So no cure for me. Just accept me for who I am and move on.