Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

grimesy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2009, 11:01 am

i wouldent consider myself to have a disability at all

ill think sever autism is a disabity but AS is so minor i dont think it counts as a disability

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:03 am

You know how they say nobody is disabled, just differently-abled? Normally that pisses me off beyond belief, but for autism it actually makes sense.

y es como un semestre"

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:15 am

Well we typically have a harder time doing things some that other people do easily. So from their perspective, we are disabled. Really the definition of the word "disabled" is someone who can't do something that 'should' be able to be done easily. We have our own strenghs and weaknesses, though, just like any one else. From what I see here, many people on the spectrum consider things like brual honesty, special interests, and living in your own world to be positive things (myself included). This is usally not the veiw of people who are not on the autistic spectrum.

I, of course, do not think we should be viewed as ret*ds. But neither do I think that we are superior to so-called 'normal' people. We are 'disabled' in some ways according to the perspective of the majority (as they may potentially be viewed as 'disabled' by us in some areas). But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with us, we're just different :)

Does that make sense?

Last edited by mitharatowen on 09 Mar 2009, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

09 Mar 2009, 11:16 am

AS is a disability if you need assistance and you can't even hold down a job and it effects your work, relationship, etc.

So I do have a disability even though I don't need living assistance and I can hold down a job.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2009, 11:19 am

I think we are a difference, which makes us disbaled. We can't function "properly" in a world where the average person is NT. This is because everything has been made for average people to live properly. For example, mainstream schools are made for NT kids and there has to be special arrangements for SEN. If the world was full of people with ASD the NT's would be the disabled people.

dadum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2009, 11:20 am

Wide range of differences put together to a criteria.
Some of them are disabilities, but far from all.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:21 am

Minor?

I think AS isn't minor at all. It's a clinically significant impairment for all those with AS.

That's not minor. Impairments aren't 'minor'.

By definition the social deficits are as severe as those of other autism and the repetitive behaviours can be the same as in classical autism. And even if they're not, everybody with AS must be significantly impaired.

Or else they cannot be diagnosed with AS.

What so you mean by 'severe' autism'? Classical? LFA? Profound? I don't think classical autism has to be a disability always. Not even LFA as defined by IQ.

To think of disability as a problem with a person is offensive. I just wonder if you understand disability like that?

Nobody is 'wrong' or 'a problem'. The medical model is somehow insulting by that it implies that people are defect and that certain people are problems.

The not so offensive understanding of disability has nothing to do with how 'severe' or 'minor' a condition is either.

If you're disabled it can mean you're, say, left-handed. Dyslexic. Or clumsy.

If you're not included because of any of these or because of AS you may be disabled.

I think AS can lead to that often which constantly puts those with AS at risk for disability.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:25 am

Well, AS is crippling enough for me to call it a disablity. There are plenty of things that are way too difficult for me to comprehend that are easy by most people's standards.

grimesy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2009, 11:44 am

tbh i dont think its makes much difference AS is minor i have it and its my opinion

i think you can manage with it and have a normal life

if you think im being offensive i dont really care

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:52 am

This is a tough one. I am a very good worker when I work alone. I have a very hard time working with people. I can work with people, it's just that it's very mentally exhausting. I don't get involved in officee politics, which has often put me in the rumor mill.

The world is designed for right-handed people. Does that make lefties disabled?

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2009, 11:53 am

grimesy wrote:
if you think im being offensive i dont really care

If you want people to listen to your opinions, you should also listen to other peoples opinions instead of not caring. It's not fair to think that your opinion is the only one that counts.

grimesy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2009, 11:55 am

i understand stand that but if he thinks im being offensive i dont really care thats my opinion

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 12:02 pm

I think that's a good attitude, grimesy, people will be offended by practically anything, and pandering to it all the time is counterproductive.

y es como un semestre"

grimesy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2009, 12:20 pm

thats true thanks gina :)

twix93
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2009, 12:26 pm

I think it's a difference not a disability. If about 99% of the world had Aspergers, the 1% NT would be recognized as disabled wouldn't they?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 12:26 pm

grimesy wrote:
tbh i dont think its makes much difference AS is minor i have it and its my opinion

And I stated mine with few references to disability rights movements and how AS is defined, yes. My understanding is in total disagreement with your idea of things, but why's that a problem?

You did ask for opinions. Some few people here including me are so literal due to their autism that they don't think that people who ask a question don't want it answered actually. If you want only those opinions in agreement with you say so. There are many who share your opinion and you'd get a lot of answers too.

grimesy wrote:
i think you can manage with it and have a normal life

You can, as you said. But do not assume that because you can others can too.

grimesy wrote:
i understand stand that but if he thinks im being offensive i dont really care thats my opinion

Gosh, annoying, I didn't say you were. Your opinion might be, might not be. I said that the medical model of disability is offensive because it says there are people that are not real people or only half-people or else half of the population and half of WP wouldn't be outraged by being called 'disabled'.

I asked whether you understand disability to mean there are people who're defective. It could be that you understand disability differently, that you don't know the medical model exists and that you have no idea of what disability actually means. So I asked but you didn't answer.

I don't understand why you announce that you don't care what I think. I never asked you to care about what I think and I don't know where you got the notion that I asked you to care about my opinions in earnest.

Next time you could just send me a PM instead to not disrupt the topic, you know.