Are there any true geniuses here? (IQ over 155)

Page 4 of 28 [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 11:17 am

Since the most used IQ test around here (and elsewhere?) is the Wechsler's that has a ceiling score of 145, there won't be any geniuses of 155+ tested with that prominent IQ test.

0% geniuses.

I also think it's absolutely pointless to ask as if IQ scores beyond 130 meant anything.

Samples of pretty much all modern IQ tests for those with a higher score than 130 are too small to validate IQ scores of above 130.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 11:23 am

pezar wrote:
Do you find yourself adrift in a sea of idiots to the point where you want to pull your hair out, because they JUST DON'T GET IT after having the obvious explained to them a million times?

A true genius would know how to explain the obvious to an idiot so that the idiot would get it.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2009, 11:25 am

It was horrific to see the photographs of people who had been electrocuted when trying to cross train tracks, i saw that at school. Im scared of train tracks i stay well away from them.
Ignorance is a bad thing i try explain in detail anything my son asks about that way he can make good choices in the future or help other peoples.
He knows about global warming it frightening but he has a scientific mind, hes already making inventions and ideas.

Stew54
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2009, 11:27 am

I entirely agree with those who have said that IQ tests are a good way of measuring the ability of people who are good at IQ tests.

I joined Mensa about 30 years ago, at the time when I was going through the rigmarole of finding "out of school activities" to put on university application forms when I didn't actually do anything aside from schoolwork and researching what were then my special interests. I got a really great score, in the top few percent of Mensa members, but I've singularly failed to go on and change the world. I've also only ever managed to go to two Mensa meetings...

Linasgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2009, 11:29 am

Personally I think that IQ is an NT concept designed to test NT minds in a way that actually is subjective but claims to be objective. I have no idea what my IQ is. It could be 50 or 150. At least for me, it has no meaning.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 11:31 am

Tantybi wrote:
pezar wrote:
Do you find yourself adrift in a sea of idiots to the point where you want to pull your hair out, because they JUST DON'T GET IT after having the obvious explained to them a million times?

A true genius would know how to explain the obvious to an idiot so that the idiot would get it.

How would a True Genius explain a Calabri Yao manifold to a mundane dullwit?

ruveyn

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2009, 11:34 am

I get high IQ if the tests are mainly visual logic block design other wise i border on the low IQ range.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tantybi wrote:
pezar wrote:

How would a True Genius explain a Calabri Yao manifold to a mundane dullwit?

ruveyn

How did you learn about it?

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:14 pm

I'm not shore about my IQ, but I've got a A* in both Math's and Science.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:19 pm

robo37 wrote:
I'm not shore about my IQ, but I've got a A* in both Math's and Science.

I promise you this. Your A in school will get you so much farther than your IQ result. But if you want an academic scholarship, I suggest you work on making sure you have as many A's in your other subjects as possible. You really can approach everything scientifically in this world, even art and gym. What grade are you in?

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:21 pm

I am a dullwit numbskull or whatever and even I understand the general concept of the calabri-yau or whatever once I had a chance to read about it and to be honest it was pretty unenlightening.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:29 pm

I think the only way you can get a score that high is to take the Stanford-Binet as a kid, and even then development goes in stages so how high you score depends on when you take the test.

I tend to score at/near ceiling. I've scored 96th %ile and up on the GRE, and I scored 99th %ile and 145 on the two Mensa tests I took when I was 26. Scientists generally use the 99th %ile as their highest cutoff, and even then it's somewhat inaccurate, because the tests aren't designed for such high cutoffs. Tests are most accurate when used to divide groups down the middle.

I think online tests and HIQ tests are pretty shaky, but you can always just take them for fun. Here's a link:
http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/hard_iq.html

If you want to take an IQ test, Mensa has supervised tests, or you can take the GRE to see how high you get (about the top 10% of the general population, maybe) if regular tests aren't challenging enough and you want something properly normed.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:37 pm

It's interesting you say that as I always liked to take tests when I was a kid as I could do almost any kind of test really fast and this made me feel really good but then people said I didn't answer the questions right so I felt really stupid and embarassed about felling so good for doing what I though I was supposed to be doing in the first place so test taking which I used to enjoy became a very unpleasant thing for me as I was growing up.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:38 pm

garyww wrote:
I am a dullwit numbskull or whatever and even I understand the general concept of the calabri-yau or whatever once I had a chance to read about it and to be honest it was pretty unenlightening.
:lmao:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 2:13 pm

Sora wrote:
Since the most used IQ test around here (and elsewhere?) is the Wechsler's that has a ceiling score of 145, there won't be any geniuses of 155+ tested with that prominent IQ test.
Where'd you get that? I could've sworn that test would go up to the 180s... not accurately, but theoretically... Or am I just thinking of the childrens' version here? (Yeah, psych testing interests me. Current fascination: The MMPI.)

Anyway, yeah, I don't think genius has a lot to do with IQ, either, especially when there's autism in the mix.

Besides, think about it--your raw IQ is something you were pretty much born with. Spend a lot of time practicing puzzles and thinking skills and you'll probably edge it up by five to ten points, but what you got when you were born is what you'll have, generally. (Whether they can measure it accurately is another story. Lots of autie kids get low scores as little ones and then in adulthood score normal or normal-plus.)

So... you were born with it. What's the point of being proud of it? It's like being proud of having brown hair or being five feet six inches tall.

I can see being proud of your grades at school. You earned those. I can see being proud of writing a book or learning to play the piano or learning to speak Japanese. All that stuff takes work and it's something you did, not something that just got handed to you by the luck-of-the-draw in your DNA.

But, y'know, you've probably got as much right to be proud of getting your straight A's in your uni physics classes, as the Down Syndrome guy down the street has got a right to be proud of learning to balance his checkbook. Maybe he's got more right, even; I don't know. It's a matter of effort. I'll give him even more kudos if he has ADHD on top of it and has trouble putting out effort in the first place.

But IQ? You were born with it, you managed to get the IQ test to accurately reflect your problem-solving ability, and that's about it. It's not something you should expect anybody else to look up to you for.

Having a particularly high IQ does, I think, give you a responsibility to do something with it. Not everybody has that talent, and that means there's a limited number of people in the world with those resources, just like there's a limited number of people who can work disaster-relief, play pro football, or be foster parents. If you don't use it, it's lost to the world. If you don't contribute, somehow, where's the point of having a high IQ at all? You can't just sit and gloat and say "I'm sooo smart" and then not do anything with it. What you do with it is up to you, though. There's no good reason to force yourself into specifically intellectual pursuits, if that's not what you want to do. But whatever you do, just do something.

Having a high IQ is not an accomplishment. It's just a background factor that might help you with whatever you decide to set out to do.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 2:17 pm

I've taken that one a couple of times. I call it the what you see is what you get test as I can't remember it's name (wysiwyg). I once got up to 105 after several attempts becasue it was important to get accepted into a program that I was interested in but it was really hard and basically I memorized the tests (there are several variations I think).