Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2004, 12:03 am

I love to drink Water. In fact, I like it so much, that I usually drink 4 liters a day. If I'm really bothered about something that seems like Small Potatoes to my Family, than I'll drink 5 or 6 liters in a day. Am I drinking too much Water?

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2004, 1:25 am

yes someone can drink too much water but the amount you stated is no were near what would do it see this link
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2004, 6:04 am

I drink water when stressed or bored too...

It's a good habit to get into...

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2004, 7:32 am

I wouldn't drink more than a gallon or so a day. I had to take a trip to the emergency room earlier this year because my body was swimming with endorphins and I was worried that I would lose consciousness.

After numerous blood tests, they found out that the reason was because my body was low on electrolytes because I had consumed too much water. I was drinking somewhere around two gallons of water per day at the time.

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2004, 11:07 am

How much is a gallon? In liters, I mean.

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2004, 3:49 pm

One problem with drinking too much water--you have to rush to the bathroom at inopportune times! 8O Yeah... another guideline is to check your urine. If it's too concentrated and dark in color, you need to drink more water. If it's too light in color, you probably drank too much, although it's not likely to kill you doing that. Electrolytes are important though, so the more water you drink, the more salt, minerals and such you need to consume. The digestive system is good at rejecting excess water usually, but it's still a good idea to drink mineralized water and such.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2004, 4:48 pm

echospectra wrote:
How much is a gallon? In liters, I mean.

In the US a gallon is 3.78541 liters.
An Imperial gallon is 4.54609 litres.

aspaware
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2004, 5:04 pm

most people need to drink more water .It helps concentration too and if you're well hydrated you wont get all headachey and tired. Drinking sufficient water can prevent smelly breath too. All in all water is very good for you.

Children with bedwetting problems are encouraged to drink more water thro day. Where I come from schools allow water bottles in the classroom to encourage the children to drink more or some schools have water coolers etc

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2004, 5:49 pm

Research shows fairly consistently that most people are in a permanent state of dehydration, and that the sensation of thirst is not a good guide to how much you should drink....

Well, as it is is such an important topic, I checked my references (i.e., those I trust with my own health; make of that what you will) and found no particular guide to how much is appropriate, but a lot on why we should drink more! There's also the quack mendicants who send news letters challenging medical knowledge by asking questions like "can anyone specify how much we should drink?" to which the obvious answer is no! It depends on circumstances.

Guys, I'm running out of steam again, but, CR, irrespective of measures, your downput seems to me healthier than most, so your only issue should be the quality of the water you drink. Most water, whether bottled or tap (=faucet) is contaminated; the only sure bet is distilled or deionised water (tasteless, but you can always add {organic} fruit juice?)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2004, 9:46 am

Thaknyou for all of yoru answers and responses. I encourage you to keep them comming :)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 10:28 pm

usually i drink 5 liters water a day. and sometimes broth (vegetable). and i weigh 110 pounds.

some articles claim that if someone drinks 15 liters in one day, then they get fluid intoxication.

however, that amount also depends on how much you weigh.

when i was 21, once drank about 10 liters of water in one day. but i was heavier gravitationally then. it was 100 plus degree weather. and i was much more physically active back then. no undue side effects.

when i drink a lot of water, it makes me want to gorge less.

drank 2 liters, at one time. and threw up. that happened 2x total. but that was just a brief inconvenience. nothing drastic happened.

having to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate is a drag. sometimes 3x a night. and then sometimes i am too tired to get up altogether.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2017, 11:50 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
having to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate is a drag. sometimes 3x a night. and then sometimes i am too tired to get up altogether.

Might as well get used to it because there will come a point where even if you don't have water before bed, you'll still be doing that.

Or when you stand up, for any reason. Really. What the hell is with that?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-ra ... id=8970712

Drinking water is good but with anything, moderation is the key.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 9:58 am

I don't think that is too much. I've been trying to drink more water and less soda, but I usually only get to about three 16.9 oz bottles a day. I like adding flavors to it, it makes me miss soda and coffee less.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 10:34 am

Yes. You can get water intoxication. It's basically where the cells in your body absorbed to much water and burst.

Unusual increased thirst can be a sign of a heath problem like diabetes mellitus or diabetes insipidus. Diabetes insipidus is unrelated to diabetes melitus. It's where you have a malfunctioning thalamus or kidneys that don't absorb enough of the water you drink. You can also have a problem with you brain where it sends thirst signals even though your not thirsty.

If your always thirsty and have to pee no matter how much you drink, definitely see a doctor if you can

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 11:01 am

This thread triggered me to do more reading on water intoxication and stuff, and I just read about a psychiatric condition that can cause you to drink called primary polydipsia.its interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_polydipsia

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 11:39 am

No, you're just sensible.

I don't like water much, unless I am really thirsty and have no choice. But usually I crave carbonated drinks.