anyone else find IQ test-score threads funny?

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you think your IQ score is important?
Yes 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
No 78%  78%  [ 35 ]
Total votes : 45

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:18 am

huh? IQ?

i find it kind of brain-trash tragic when people get fixated on IQ as a measure of intelligence...
it is a measure of certain types of intelligence.
there are so many ways of looking at the world and experiencing it. and not all those ways of seeing and being are quantified by dandy little IQ tests. :lol:

I know some really smart people who cannot perform well at IQ tests, but they are brilliant at certain things - with a spiked ability in one area.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:25 am

usually if I see an IQ score type of thread an Aspie vs. Autie comparison thread is not to far behind and coming a little later is an Aspie vs. NT thread. I do like responding to such threads however as it gives me an opportunity to feel superior to other humans even if the feeling only lasts a few fractions of a second before I spell some critical word wrong.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:30 am

People like measuring things. Bigger clubs and all that.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:33 am

Yes and I was about to make a thread a while ago ranting about IQs lol. I just get sick and uncomfortable around people who brag about their high IQ scores as if it were the ONLY measure of intelligence within a person. That's not to say I don't hate anyone for bragging about a high IQ...I probably would too. I just get sick of how one will use it as means of superiority over another's level of intellegence.

16 Mar 2009, 12:48 am

I don't care about IQs. You can have an IQ of 137 and still be a ignorant f**k while someone can have an IQ of 93 and accept anyone for them and not judge based on someone's disability.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 16 Mar 2009, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:52 am

the IQ test mostly goes on geometric pattern recognition.

i saw a docu, where doves were proven to excel above humans in such recognitions.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:59 am

It's as if IQ scores were the Asperger's equivalent to penis (or breast) size. :roll:

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:11 am

Being in the top 1-3% was something that I used to be embarassed about throughout school. I was alienated and ridiculed because of it.(especially when Revenge of the Nerds came out LOL) In the 10th grade I finally dropped out of the gifted program, because I wanted to be one of the "cool" kids. Then I got into drugs, and alcohol, blah, blah, blah.......

Now that my life is crap, it is the one thing that can never be taken from me. So, I've come to appreciate that aspect of myself. And no, I don't find the actual numeric score to be important. For me, it is the knowledge of where I lie on the intelligence spectrum, that keeps me sain.

OK, back on track......yes, I do find those threads entertaining.

Those who know, don't speak.

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2009, 1:14 am

millie wrote:

I know some really smart people who cannot perform well at IQ tests, but they are brilliant at certain things - with a spiked ability in one area.

This is true. There are so many types of intelligence that
cannot be measured. The IQ teast just show one of them.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:18 am

It's really important to me right now, since I've got a superior verbal IQ and an average performance IQ, and I have to show that I function at an IQ equivalent of 70 in order to get DD services like case-management, life management, med management, budgeting and extra benefits.

It's a really big deal to me right now. :(

My test is Tuesday and I'm nervous.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:19 am

yes, IQ is important to a certain degree. If you are severely mentally ret*d, your IQ matters.

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2009, 1:20 am

When I get asked my IQ, I preface my response with "IQ holds no means to success."

I have an IQ of 189, and though I graduated two years early, I haven't done anything meaningful by society's standards.

I know plenty of people who would be considered below average who have been quite successful.

IQ scores aren't very important, unless maybe you're a child trying to skip a grade or two.

RPM
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2009, 1:23 am

I know that I have scored 126 - 131 on IQ tests online before but I know it can be hard to measure the IQ of an Autistic person like myself.

It's like yeah i've dealt with idiots having insisted I was ret*d or whatever, but when I read the criteria on what actually constitutes a person as MR, I noticed full well that my own IQ level is higher than the MR range.

Then again an Uncle of mine had a mild form of mental retardation but he certainly was not stupid at all, he was in fact smart on some things, he actually had a license to drive, as well as a car and his own place, he was married and divorced twice.

Unfortunately he got murdered in 1987, but the killer (who obviously had less of a brain than my Uncle), was easily busted a few days later cause he was driving stolen car with license plate still on it (that was really major stupid, I dunno what the difference was between the IQ of my Uncle and his killer but in this case the IQ levels don't matter cause the killer lacked a brain and he's locked up for the rest of his life).

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:32 am

Quote:
nothingunusual wrote:
It's as if IQ scores were the Asperger's equivalent to penis (or breast) size. :roll:

:lol:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:47 am

Ah shoot, I answered the subject question instead of the poll question -- so there's actually one more point for "don't find it important" and one less for the other.

I care a lot more about what kind of human being someone is than their IQ. IQ doesn't say anything about values or how a person treats others or outlook on life, etc etc.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2009, 3:23 am

I don't think IQ=intellegence, but it can be fun to do IQ tests and people can be proud of a high IQ just as people can be proud of being good at sewing or something.