Looking for help with an AS project!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

whihay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2009, 11:49 am

Hi I am a graphic design student from London and I am about to start a project on AS, I’m looking at making a series of pieces based on how people with Aspergers experience everyday life. I would really appreciate it if anyone could spare a few minutes to describe how their Asperger’s affects everyday situations looking both positively and negatively.

If you wish it to it would be great if this eventually became a collaborative project, by giving feedback on the work I create eventually so that it becomes a true representation of living with Asperger’s.

Any help would be much appreciated and if you have any questions please ask!
Thanks.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2009, 12:22 pm

I've been going through some ideas of my own along similar lines. I'd be very interested to see how your work progresses.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:22 pm

Hmmm. A combination of fabric and sandpaper might show how it is for me feeling fabrics at a store. Cotton, silk, rayon are good. Some polyesters and linens make me cringe and I have to wipe my hands on my clothing to get rid of the nasty feel.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 2:12 pm

You know those dreams you have where you are back in high school and you found out you forgot to put on some pants?

Ugly duckling was also a story I related to.

Cats are good image. I see that come up frequently in posts. Like maybe a design of all the rottweillers (I know I spelled it wrong, sorry) playing poker, and then have a cat in on the game. I always wanted to do my own painting of the following...
A room with a sofa, and cats just sleeping and lounging with some cat nip looking almost like weed on the table, some cream (maybe some on a cat's mouth), empty cream bottles like they were on a cream drinking binge, And a bunch of other cat related items with a picture of the dogs playing poker in the background with a huge cat scratch through it. Maybe that of itself would be a good image.

I'm really distracted right now and won't be able to get back for a long minute.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 6:00 pm

Hi man and welcome (:

Just check the Getting to know each other subforum, lots of people put their life story there.

BTW I'm also a designer (:

see you!

whihay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2009, 2:59 pm

Hi again,

The idea of touch you described is really interesting, i have been looking alot at sounds etc. but i havent really found anyone mention the sensation of touch yet. Will definatly explore it more!

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 12:02 am

pm me. i am a painter/artist and may be able to give you some interesting info.

the sensory issues are very pronounced in some of us and they result in hyper and hypo sensitivity issues that can make human contact unbearable at times.
some AS people have visual sensitivity and acuity issues which may be really interesting to explore in terms of your study assignment.

Last edited by millie on 18 Mar 2009, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 12:14 am

On touch, I can't stand touching or seeing someone touch (or scratch) blue jeans, and other specific fabrics. But I don't know about the whole hypersensitivity issue. Like I pay attention to many sounds. All sounds. In fact, I had perfect hearing on my military hearing test, and I think it's because I'm used to paying attention to sounds. I think some people ignore most sounds that they train themselves to be deaf to them. Since they really are a distraction, that probably is the better approach.

As far as human/human touch. I loved cuddling and such until after I was raped while awake through it. So, it's part of my ptsd that i don't like to be touched so much, but I still love it when my husband pets me. I just hate cuddling now. And, I drive my kids crazy constantly wanting to pick them up, hug, squeeze, kiss cheeks heads backs shoulders (their 1 and 2), pretend I'm eating their stomachs, tickling them, flipping them, dancing with them. I'm a very touchy feely person when it comes to showing love. But I don't like being touched too much by strangers. Kinda like a cat. But get me drunk, and I'm hanging on everyone.

I think one main theme of Aspergers is the ALIENATION. Wrong Planet was the perfect name for this type of site. Take a look at the forum, and you can see it. The Aspies here talk about the human race often like they are not included, they separate Aspies from NTs, they either display this huge hatred against or a huge desire to be a "neurotypical." We are very much alienated most of our lives because we are different. It's not an actual symptom. It's just a result of being Aspie.

Kinnery
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2009, 12:36 am

In terms of touch, I know one thing that really bothers my brother is face paint.

I don't know how you could incorporate this into art, but for auditory hypersensitivity, it's kind of like having four different songs being played while three t.v.s are on different channels, and then being told to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It's so distracting, you can't focus on what you're trying to do.

And I agree, alienation is definitely a huge part. Imagine going to a party where you don't know anyone, and they all are Farsi first language, with very broken english - even when they try to talk to you, it's hard to understand their cultural context, and what exactly they're trying to say.