I hate my flat, saracastic monotone...

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 12:14 pm

I hate my voice. I really do. It's tolerable to my ears in real time, but today I heard my voice on recording and it was horrendous. :(

It's not even so much that the intonation irks me, I've heard people with voices that could be described in the same way and they don't bother me. More that I sound sarcastic and whiny all the time. I imagine it's extremely off-putting to other people and sends out a negative message. I'm annoying enough as it is... My voice doesn't help matters. It's downright embarrassing.

If heard someone with my way of speaking I'd automatically want to punch them in the nose out of irritation. Ugh. :x

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Mar 2009, 12:23 pm

I think everyone hates hearing their voice played back, because it doesn't sound like you. I kind of hate mine. It's very deep, but not deep in a good way. It doesn't sound seductive or dominant or soothing like a lot of deep voices do.
In fact, even though it's deep it still somehow comes off as very immature, ugh. I've kind of learned to accept my voice as time went on though, the thing I really still can't stand about my voice though, is when I get really genuinely upset about something I always sound like a whiny four year old throwing a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted for Christmas. =/

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 12:56 pm

I've never liked hearing my voice played back to me. I've always felt I sound like a female or a child in recordings, but I don't hear myself quite as badly when I speak (though I still do not like my voice).

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2009, 1:05 pm

I'm pretty sure most people don't like hearing recordings of their own voices, AS and NT alike. Although I don't think my voice necessarily sounds whiney, it definitely sounds very monotonous.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 1:17 pm

I don't like the way my voice sounds when played back. Is that a common reaction when listening to one's own voice?
I've gotten a wide array of comments on the way I sound. Some good, some bad, and I don't know the motives for either.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 1:28 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
I've never liked hearing my voice played back to me. I've always felt I sound like a female or a child in recordings, but I don't hear myself quite as badly when I speak (though I still do not like my voice).

I figure I sound like a pre-pubescent boy in some ways. Due to the monotone it sounds a bit deeper (especially compared to some of the more squeaky giddy females), but not so much that it sounds masculine. Though it is still kind of annoying when your a twenty-one year old female.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 3:05 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
I hate my voice. I really do. It's tolerable to my ears in real time, but today I heard my voice on recording and it was horrendous. :(

It's not even so much that the intonation irks me, I've heard people with voices that could be described in the same way and they don't bother me. More that I sound sarcastic and whiny all the time. I imagine it's extremely off-putting to other people and sends out a negative message. I'm annoying enough as it is... My voice doesn't help matters. It's downright embarrassing.

If heard someone with my way of speaking I'd automatically want to punch them in the nose out of irritation. Ugh. :x

Have you considered using a vocoder or switching to sign language?

ruveyn

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 5:34 pm

ruveyn wrote:
nothingunusual wrote:

Have you considered using a vocoder or switching to sign language?

ruveyn

I don't think I'd go that far to escape it...
Besides, vocoders are quite monotone themselves. :wink:

pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2009, 5:40 pm

I really don't think you're alone in this. Personally I have a huge complex about my voice because everyone at school used to tell me I spoke like a man, also I just think it sounds dead weird in a way I can't explain. Doing interviews with a dictaphone was hell! I guess the only thing to do is listen to other peoples voices and focus on how weird they are. Also, do kareoke in a place full of drunk people - I knew the guy who told me I should be on Pop Idol was very, very wrong, but it somehow made me feel better all the same.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2009, 6:30 pm

I was actually fine with my voice and playing it back on recordings. Then some people started to make comments, which for a period of time really did effect my self-esteem.
But I got over it. Then I got a microphone for MSN. People asked me to not post audio messages when everyone else was. That upset me.
Then when I started doing Youtube videos someone said my voice was weird. I stopped doing Youtube videos with my voice in for around 4 months then.
And then someone at school impersonated my voice while I was doing a presentation...
I won't post a video link of one of my YT videos with my voice in asking if it's bad or not, because IDK anyone who hates me on here, so I doubt anyone would say it's bad.
I still don't think it's that bad(I always knew I was bad at singing though), I just don't see why people would be so upfront and frank about how bad it is. I don't know. People have just said offensive things about it.
Truth is, the comments have put me off speaking, so now I mumble, making it more distorted... despite the fact I don't even think I have a speech impairment -.-.
EMZ.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 6:53 pm

dont... talk... about... recorded... voices....

i HATE my voice on a recording, hate it, loathe it, despise it

and to think about how much babbling i tend to do some times, my GOD, now i wanna die. thanx for reminding me >:0

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 7:01 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
and to think about how much babbling i tend to do some times, my GOD, now i wanna die.

That's the worst part about it by far. :(

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 7:09 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
and to think about how much babbling i tend to do some times, my GOD, now i wanna die.

That's the worst part about it by far. :(

you know what my dad did?

he pulled up a casette, where me and my younger brother had made "radio" ages ago, and played it for me and my sisters.

me ranting on with a squeaky voice. my shared joy to this old memory was CLEARLY fake and strained :D

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 8:45 pm

My voice is so deep that when I talk, most times, people don't even hear me. The combination of deep and quiet doesn't mix well.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 8:59 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
sbcmetroguy wrote:

I figure I sound like a pre-pubescent boy in some ways. Due to the monotone it sounds a bit deeper (especially compared to some of the more squeaky giddy females), but not so much that it sounds masculine. Though it is still kind of annoying when your a twenty-one year old female.

Frankly, I don't like giddy and/or squeaky. If you LACK those features, ****GREAT****!

As for ME? Sometimes I think I sound fine, but other times? NO WAY! When I first heard myself on tape, I was DUMBFOUNDED! I would NOT have known it was me except that I had just recorded it, and could remember what was said and when. Maybe your reaction is standard. After all, SOME people, that think they sound GREAT, sound HORRIBLE!

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2009, 9:15 pm

Don't worry, I hate mine for the most part as well.