Are you self diagnosed?
yes 37%  37%  [ 51 ]
no 63%  63%  [ 88 ]
Total votes : 139

JeffJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Mar 2009, 11:42 pm

I fit the description and syptoms of AS so scarily well that even if my aunts had not pointed it out, I could have self diagnosed myself with absolute certainty. It really is amazing how I fit every single descriptive smptom of it, from bodyl language, to speech quirks, comprehension difficulty, clumsiness or poor motor skill, overemphasis on narrow subjects, increased sensitivity to noises/distraction...the whole damned shebang. It makes me wonder if I should even waste money to confirm what I already know.

Kinnery
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm

But being able to ask, observe, listen, etc... wouldn't those be signs of being 'NT'?

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 11:47 pm

Kinnery wrote:
But being able to ask, observe, listen, etc... wouldn't those be signs of being 'NT'?

Not if the ways of doing so do not conform to societal norms. I do so on an analytical basis, not on an intuitive basis.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 11:48 pm

My understanding of society is that of an outsider looking in.

JeffJ

17 Mar 2009, 11:51 pm

Yes, but I am definitely NOT neurotypical lol. But in a way, its kind of fun being different and seeing things from a totally different perspective. but sometimes, its such an alien feeling that I just lie in bed at night and wonder how Ill ever meet someone, get married, and have a normal functioning adult life (as much as possible)

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 11:53 pm

Stevo_the_Human wrote:
Anyone is gives themselves a self-diagnosis has no grounds for actually being autistic. It's like if Alfred Nobel gave the Nobel Prize to himself; it seems questionable, even selfish. :roll:

not this again... :(

"you're not aspie if you're selg-diagnosed, you're only a faker/xxx/etc.....lul"

it's fun to see how people get bitchy about that, remember that n***a moment on another forum...

(btw I have an official diagnosis)

JeffJ

17 Mar 2009, 11:58 pm

I would have NO reason to fake this. Living in this way is not something I could see people choosing to do. All the strange feelings, the clumsiness, the social ineptness..I dont enjoy that part at all and would never fake it to be treated differently. In fact Id rather not have this damned AS and be able to know what its like to truly function as I was supposed to. Just to have that perspective on things would be fascinating and a huge relief.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 12:00 am

I don't truly feel as if I am a part of society; I feel as if I am an outsider looking in. The understanding I have is purely analytical.

JeffJ

18 Mar 2009, 12:09 am

timeisdead wrote:
I don't truly feel as if I am a part of society; I feel as if I am an outsider looking in. The understanding I have is purely analytical.

this is also how I feel. I overanalyze just about everything, to the point of completely missing out on the clues and signs that I need to function in society. Instead of reacting instinctively to stimuli I have to think about HOW Im going to react, and thats not how its supposed to work. For example, in the event I want to kiss a girl, Im not even sure HOW to do it. I would think of how to place my lips or tilt my head, and be afraid of bumping into her or something equally stupid. Im pretty sure NT's dont even think of that possibility, they just do it.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 12:10 am

I am in my own world 24/7 and absolutely love it.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 12:14 am

JeffJ wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

this is also how I feel. I overanalyze just about everything, to the point of completely missing out on the clues and signs that I need to function in society. Instead of reacting instinctively to stimuli I have to think about HOW Im going to react, and thats not how its supposed to work. For example, in the event I want to kiss a girl, Im not even sure HOW to do it. I would think of how to place my lips or tilt my head, and be afraid of bumping into her or something equally stupid. Im pretty sure NT's dont even think of that possibility, they just do it.

Ironically, this trait helps me pry information out of people and at times effectively psychoanalyze. At times, people have told me that I have effectively gauged their thought process. I do so by asking the right questions and forming conclusions from analyzing their responses. Like you, my mind is always on 24/7 and many, if not most, of my actions are not intuitive.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 12:41 am

timeisdead wrote:

look for a part of society where you *do* fit in...

timeisdead wrote:
I am in my own world 24/7 and absolutely love it.

indeed. Well not permanently but it is fun. Granted it depends on your definition of 'in your own world'

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:30 am

Stevo_the_Human wrote:
Anyone is gives themselves a self-diagnosis has no grounds for actually being autistic. It's like if Alfred Nobel gave the Nobel Prize to himself; it seems questionable, even selfish. :roll:

What a load of crap, firstly I like many here self diagnosed and then had it confirmed. After 43 years of wondering what the heck was wrong the AS symptoms fitted like a glove, the official dx was really unnecessary.

Secondly how the heck can you equate a DX of aspergers with the honour of receiving a Nobel Prize thats just absurd.

and 'selfish' why?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:41 am

Professionally dxed Asperger's.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2009, 6:50 am

Stevo_the_Human wrote:

That isn't true actually. That is like saying that only professionals can be right, when they have in fact misdiagnosed people altogether. They can be wrong, and I believe that anyone who actually researches and uses a decent bit of reflection can be more correct than any professional. So, if one professional says, "No, you don't have AS", and another one says, "You have AS", who the hell is right then?

I've seen two professionals on the matter and both think I have AS, even though I had only interacted with them for about 30 minutes each. They knew nothing about me, really. Only a little bit of what my mother and I told each of them. Hell, one of them asked about my "obsessions" and I gave a clear gray answer of "gaming" (as if that is abnormal these days).

How does anyone here know that they weren't misdiagnosed? Simple answer: they compare the symptoms to themselves. If anything a professional diagnosis is only more misleading, especially when they aren't required for anything special (except for sitting on your ass all day taking money from the people of your country, oh, and to be a drama queen).

The summary of this post would be that professional diagnosis aren't needed. A note of this post would be that labels are also not needed. What is needed is your own understanding. Why the hell should anyone get paid to tell YOU how messed up you are? Go figure it out for yourself. If I ever decided to get a professional diagnosis, and actually got it, my life wouldn't change, because I'd still be me, so why bother?

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2009, 6:55 am

I completely agree with Fo-Rum.

Although I am officially diagnosed (only because my lecturers said I should, so I could get official university special conditions etc.), I voted self-diagnosed because that's when I view my true diagnosis (and consequent struggle etc).

Knowing how a few psychiatrists operate around here, I would recommend disbelieving an official diagnosis until/unless it squares with the truth of what they observe with their own eyes, of their own behaviour.