Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 6:28 pm

I have a moderate speech impediment that seems to be getting worse with age (is that possible?). I can't say "th", "wr" and several other sounds. For example, if I were to have an actual in-person conversation with you, I would say the name of this site is "Rong Planet" :oops: I am wondering if there are any other people on here with speech impediments and if there is any correlation between them and Autism?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm pretty new to learning about Autism still.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 6:34 pm

I have some slight speech distortions, too (they are not "impediments" per se).

I tend to transpose "r" and "w' within situations where both are close together (e.g., road work= woad rerk).

I tend to produce "w" where "r" is appropriate.

I have difficulty, at times, saying complex words, even though I know what the words mean. It makes my speech sound juvenile.

I didn't talk at all until age 5 1/2.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 7:28 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I have a moderate speech impediment that seems to be getting worse with age (is that possible?). I can't say "th", "wr" and several other sounds. For example, if I were to have an actual in-person conversation with you, I would say the name of this site is "Rong Planet" :oops: I am wondering if there are any other people on here with speech impediments and if there is any correlation between them and Autism?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm pretty new to learning about Autism still.

I know of several with autism who have speech impediments, including myself. But I know others with autism without. So I would have to say there is a correlation for some. Probably those with more pronounced autism as opposed to super high functioning.

It may not be autism itself, but an impediment that accompanies autism. Many with autism have motor coordination problems that effect mouth and tongue movements. That's my biggest problem with speaking and I have been in speech therapy for years.

Gacrsgrant
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2016, 7:52 pm

I really can't say anything with a R in it it sounds wrong it has been like that since I was born

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 8:10 pm

Thanks everybody for the replies. I did have speech therapy in school. It improved my speech as I used to talk really quietly and abnormally fast. I still talk quietly (hence my username) and fast, but it is better. People back then couldn't understand a word I said, but now I believe I am not too hard to understand. I'm trying to work on the speech impediment.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 8:15 pm

I speak quite quietly and softly, so it's often hard to hear me. I also have bizarre speech patterns, such as repeating myself slightly, leaving odd pauses in between words or sentences so I sound like a William Shatner impersonator, and so forth. Sometimes 'th' sounds a bit like 'd', but mostly I pronounce things reasonably well.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 11:41 pm

I still get from time to time "where are you from?"

I had troubles with the R sound when I was a kid. I also spoke with a stutter and I talked fast and would run out of breaths while talking because I didn't know how to take pauses between sentences.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 1:59 pm

I have a slight speech impediment. My motor coordination is delayed, speech is understood the majority of the time, thankfully.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 3:13 pm

I mispronounce words with alarming regularity and I cannot seem to say words that have 'th' as their suffix. When I say the word "month", for instance, it sounds like "munf", which is dreadfully embarrassing as I hate to makes errors in speech.

Furthermore, when I am angry, depressed or anxious, I can struggle to communicate at all. My brain becomes too cloudy for me to be able to formulate a coherent sentence in my mind. To varying degrees, this has been the case now for over 18 months. I absolutely despise myself because of my inability to effectively communicate.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 3:19 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I would say the name of this site is "Rong Planet" :oops:

No problem there as the w is silent :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

chirpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2016, 5:15 pm

I had some when I was a child, up to the age of 6. I had problems pronouncing letters like r, g or c. A psychologist even suggested I went to a logopedist when I was 5. I never did though, and it just disappeared on its own. I haven't had such issues since then.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 5:52 pm

I used to have a bunch of speech impediments before I went to therapy for it. I started speaking at around the normal time, and I have good vocabulary, but I tend to forget words. I also tend to not say "t" sounds when the t is in the middle or end of the word. For example, "doesn'" or "ki'en." I pronounce "probably" as "prolly." I basically sound like a toned-down Tom Sawyer and my Appalacian accent doesn't help.

wizardly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2016, 8:29 pm

I have a speech impediment too. The one specific thing I can think of is trouble with my r's. There are more problems, but I have a hard time identifying what they are...I'm just aware my speech is skewed a little bit.

"A good intention, but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 10:06 am

Wow! Thanks for all the replies :D The thing that upsets me about my impediments is when I try to say the names of numbers. Other times, I don't mind it too much.

I had to legally have my name changed. I was born with a name that ended with a "th" and because I couldn't say it, I always went by my middle name until I legally changed it this year. That was the most difficult part for me, as it upset my mom, who loved my birth name.

I also stutter some, but not as much as I used to. I got teased for it a lot in school.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2016, 12:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have some slight speech distortions, too (they are not "impediments" per se).

I tend to transpose "r" and "w' within situations where both are close together (e.g., road work= woad rerk).

I tend to produce "w" where "r" is appropriate.

I do that too. I hate "World War” just.don't. most of what I say is very slurred. Pretty much only the people who care for me understand my speech.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 12:49 am

I had difficulty with TH and something else in elementary school… With practice it went away. Very recently I started having problems with 30’s. I sometimes say “dirty”6, I have no I idea how this started.