"Autism Awareness" Ribbons on Cars in NJ...

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2006, 4:40 pm

Happy New Year WP!

So after school ended for the fall, I spent much of my holidays in New Jersey. Walking through town, I noticed many of the cars (a suprising number, I seem to see at least one every time I leave the house) with an "Autism Awareness" ribbon-shaped sticker/magnet on them. The ribbon is shaped similar to the yellow "support our troops," red-white-and-blue "G-d Bless America," and blue "support peace" ribbon-shaped magnets on cars throughout the United States, except these magnets have little blotches of all different colors on them and say "Autism Awareness" on bold Impact font. They come in, from what I've seen, at least two different sizes.

Anyone know who's making them? Are these are a local thing, or a national thing? Because I've never seen these at school. And assuming that people are buying these to raise money for something, if the money raised is going to actually helping people with ASDs or to support more, well, "Curebie" goals?

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 4:52 pm

AS_Interlocking wrote:
red-white-and-blue "G-d Bless America,"

Is the word "God" considered offensive now?

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 4:52 pm

i talked to a woman sporting one of these on her car (in massachusetts at the time) and she was adamantly curebie. she could not listen even to a mildly different point of view.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 4:55 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
AS_Interlocking wrote:

It's a way of referring to God in Judaism.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 4:56 pm

Those colored blotches are puzzle pieces, BTW. I have one on my car. I gather they are national. I got mine from a PA autism society, and those in other states most likely have them as well.

And in the spirit of Interlocking's message, supp-rt our tr--ps.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:02 pm

AS_Interlocking wrote:
And assuming that people are buying these to raise money for something, if the money raised is going to actually helping people with ASDs or to support more, well, "Curebie" goals?

I think it's more of the latter. The little patches of colour are actually puzzle pieces. I actually have one of the blue silicone wrist bands with the same puzzle pieces on it that I wear every day. I don't support the curebie goals, but it's the most well-known symbol for autism awareness. If someone asks what it's for (and therefore hasn't been brainwashed by the curebies) then I can explain autism my own way. I'm always hoping some curebie parent will see it and ask me about what I'm doing to cure my kids (which I don't have), at which point I would try to talk some sense into them...

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:13 pm

Lets come up with our own symbol. if everyone on wp wore it, it would gain popularity.

i like as_interlocking's avatar - lets use that :)

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

misfit24_7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2006, 5:14 pm

Hi,

The web-site to buy this item is buttonsandmore.com. I have purchased items from these site. I have bought several of these autisim awareness magnets for my car as well as family members cars.

Carol

can often behave in an unpredictable manner.

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2006, 5:25 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
AS_Interlocking wrote:

I picked up spelling it that way from many of my close friends who are Jewish. Not meant to offend anyone--or not offend anyone--for that matter.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:28 pm

Yes, I think they're national. And they're easy enough to find and purchase on eBay. I have one myself. I prefer to think of it now as "awareness" like it says and not "cure".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Autism-Car-Magnet-4 ... dZViewItem

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2006, 5:29 pm

Neuroman wrote:
i talked to a woman sporting one of these on her car (in massachusetts at the time) and she was adamantly curebie. she could not listen even to a mildly different point of view.

By the way, this article pretty much sums up my gripes with the "Curebie" movement, and in a mainstream media expose, shows the dark side of the so-called "cure" for autism under development now.

MSNBC: Would You Have Allowed Bill Gates To Be Born? (From May 31, 2005)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7899821/

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2006, 5:31 pm

[quote="Sophist"]I prefer to think of it now as "awareness" like it says and not "cure".

Me too. That was actually my question--was it real "awareness," or were they trying to raise money to create a genetic test to abort any unborn baby carrying the ASD gene(s), once they're identified--if, indeed, the genetic component is strong enough to do so.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:40 pm

AS_Interlocking wrote:
Neuroman wrote:

By the way, this article pretty much sums up my gripes with the "Curebie" movement, and in a mainstream media expose, shows the dark side of the so-called "cure" for autism under development now.

MSNBC: Would You Have Allowed Bill Gates To Be Born? (From May 31, 2005)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7899821/

I would be happy if they stopped referring to autism as an "epidemic".

I was surprised and thrilled to see autism awareness get such high-profile coverage on Donald Trump's "Apprentice" finale, but cringed every time the woman from "Autism Speaks" said anything. Maybe they should call it "Autism Curebies Speak". But of course they deliberately abuse the word "epidemic" to impart a sense of urgency. People wouldn't get as excited if they simply said they are discovering autism is more prevalent than they thought....

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 8:13 pm

My dad has one... that he stole form another car. :blush: I did NOT want him to do that! Anyway, he has it not as a sinister thing (for example, wishing I'd never been born or thinking I'm a curse on him- sometimes it feels like ti should feel that way to him but I thin it rarely if ever does, any more than parents of NTs would feel like that- I'm assuming there are some times even parents of NTs can feel like their kid is driving them over the edge) but just because he's kind of "into" my having AS... I don't know how else to explain it. He's very comfortable with it and I think he thinks it explains quite a bit about me, though of course not to the point that there are things I can't correct now or eventually (and I'm not making sweeping statments; I seem to be personally quite capable of some pretty major changes).