If you are hated, what is the point in having empathy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 1:19 pm

for most people on the planet? Is there any whatsoever? I believe in eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth and my relationships are entirely reciprocal.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 1:23 pm

Most people are shallow and status obsessed sheep that fail to think analytically. Why should I have any empathy for them? They would willingly murder innocent people just to be a part of a something they perceive as larger than themselves. Look at how so many defend the use of nuclear arms.

ThisisjusthowItalk
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2009, 1:54 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Most people are shallow and status obsessed sheep
Oh? A person needn't be a deep thinker to be kind, and the pursuit of social esteem can lead to greatness.

Quote:
that fail to think analytically.
Just as people who suffer from AS fail to pick up on many social queues. Fortunately, many so-called "neurotypicals" can be taught a sufficient appreciation for "neurodiversity" to see the human behind the flaws.

Quote:
Why should I have any empathy for them?
It makes them easier to deal with.

Quote:
They would willingly murder innocent people just to be a part of a something they perceive as larger than themselves.
Oh? And autists are incapable of evil? What of Cho Seung Hui, who seemed to call on people like himself to use murder as a means of lashing out against society, perhaps for reasons similar to your own?

Quote:
Look at how so many defend the use of nuclear arms.
So do I.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 1:57 pm

timeisdead wrote:
for most people on the planet? Is there any whatsoever? I believe in eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth and my relationships are entirely reciprocal.

If everyone believed as you do, then the world would by populated solely by blind, toothless people ... and you would be one of them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 2:16 pm

Yeah, in my case I find that indifference works much better.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 2:17 pm

i have a deep empathy for other aspies, we just work on a different frequency to the NT world.x

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2009, 2:24 pm

I don't think empathy is a thing you can choose to have. You are born with it, to a greater or lesser degree. If everyone on the planet hates you, you still got the empathy in you.
Maybe you can supress it somehow, but it's there. That's the point. :D

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2009, 2:25 pm

You're hated BECAUSE you have no empathy.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2009, 2:29 pm

LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:

This.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 2:51 pm

It actually helps to understand the people who hate you. That way you know why they hate you--and, usually, why they don't have a legitimate reason.

Incidentally, no one is universally hated. If even Hitler can't accomplish that, then I don't think you can.

Hmm... I think I just Godwinned the thread. Oh well.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Oh? A person needn't be a deep thinker to be kind, and the pursuit of social esteem can lead to greatness.

I don't hate those who are kind to me.

Quote:
Just as people who suffer from AS fail to pick up on many social queues. Fortunately, many so-called "neurotypicals" can be taught a sufficient appreciation for "neurodiversity" to see the human behind the flaws.

If they want to judge me, why should I hesitate to judge them?

Quote:
It makes them easier to deal with.

It's not easy for me to surrender to their will.

Quote:
Oh? And autists are incapable of evil? What of Cho Seung Hui, who seemed to call on people like himself to use murder as a means of lashing out against society, perhaps for reasons similar to your own?

I never said they were incapable of evil.

Quote:
So do I.

I believe in the right for nations to possess nuclear arms so there is no large imbalance of power. However, I don't believe in using them to kill innocent civilians as was done to Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WW2.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 4:39 pm

I suppose everybody here knows about the old love/hate thing don't they?

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 4:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

If everyone believed as you do, then the world would by populated solely by blind, toothless people ... and you would be one of them.

Actually if more justice was inflicted, sociopaths and their ilk would think twice before making unprovoked attacks on others.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

Callista wrote:
It actually helps to understand the people who hate you. That way you know why they hate you--and, usually, why they don't have a legitimate reason.

Incidentally, no one is universally hated. If even Hitler can't accomplish that, then I don't think you can.

What if you intellectually know why but you think their point of view is entirely invalid?

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 4:43 pm

LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:

Or because I dare to stand up for myself and my own self interests.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 6:06 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Callista wrote:

What if you intellectually know why but you think their point of view is entirely invalid?
Then you know they're probably thinking irrationally, or else they're following someone else who is.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com