I've read somewhere that being fake...

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 10:06 pm

Will make you more successful in life, is it true?

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 10:10 pm

I say no, it's not true. Eventually, it catches up with you in the end.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 11:03 pm

If it does then I'd rather live an unsuccessful life. :evil:

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 11:06 pm

Define fake.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 11:13 pm

Well to some degree that's true.

I mean when you get a job, you have to dress and look nice and act as if this is the greatest day in your life!

Ugh...but as far beng fake is concerned, I think you'll find your life will just be as miserable as the other way around.

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2009, 12:01 am

I think that is called superficial.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 1:34 am

For job interviews you have to tailor your answers to apply specifically to the job. You have to sound enthusiastic and may pretend to possess qualities you don't actually have, just so you get the job. By being fake, I think you mean that we have to at least appear become what others want us to be. So, in a sense, being fake may take you places. But there's no way to completely avoid it if you want to survive... shame, right?

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2009, 1:46 am

If I hired someone that lied to me I'd fire them once I knew they were faking it or lying. I suppose you are speaking about persona and being friendly rather then lying about ability. I'd be happy to survive and it's not a lie so I do not perceive the such as a lie. I've had to fire someone for lying and stealing but frankly the one that works best tells me himself he doesn't want to do this or that and when and how often, that's just the honesty of his autism. In non-supportive employment it's a brutal world, good luck with it.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 2:24 am

...I vote no. Impossible to maintain, generally unsatisfying to live to arbitrary goals than your own.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

04 Apr 2009, 2:43 am

You can write a story and get it published and say it's a memoir. That's what a lady down in Eugene did last year and her sister saw the book and called the publishing company and told them none of it was true. So all the books were taken off the shelves and places were offering refunds to people who bought the book. The author who was going to come to Powells Books here in Portland to talk about her book, cancelled it.

So who knows how many other memoirs are fake. That one lady just happened to be caught by her sister and ratted her out.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 2:58 am

NathanYoung wrote:
If I hired someone that lied to me I'd fire them once I knew they were faking it or lying. I suppose you are speaking about persona and being friendly rather then lying about ability. I'd be happy to survive and it's not a lie so I do not perceive the such as a lie. I've had to fire someone for lying and stealing but frankly the one that works best tells me himself he doesn't want to do this or that and when and how often, that's just the honesty of his autism. In non-supportive employment it's a brutal world, good luck with it.

The issue is that it isn't a fair playing field. I would love to live in a world where nobody ever has to try to sell themselves. But it's the people that sell themselves well that control the game. If all the masses BS'ing their way through the world would cease to exist then honest folks would have a better chance.

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2009, 3:26 am

I have very little experience in the normal employment. Supportive and self-employment is always more flexible. The notion of the nice guy finishes last fits this perhaps.

Your prospect of a superficial world (a false persona) to survive reminds me of some elite figures in saying and doing nice things but not really meaning it when having to do with supporting autism advocacy. The issue you present yourself is from a point of view of trying to compete with others to get a job position. To survive you must fib and if you fib you cannot survive. Tells me that the world cannot be trusted upon because of money which is the method of survival. The root of the problem is money.

theman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: Oklahoma...... where the men are men and the sheep run scared.

04 Apr 2009, 4:14 am

Fake is the new Real. :)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 4:17 am

marshall wrote:
it's the people that sell themselves well that control the game.

So very true. And I'm the worst at selling myself. :(

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 6:22 am

Speaking from personal experience.

I find it much easier to sell myself when I:

A) Already know the person I'm talking to.

B) Am incredibly happy, motivated and everything's going my way.

C) Have supportive people in my life who don't constantly yell at me, who accept me for who I am and who aren't under extreme stress.

D) Have practiced and go into the thing with an open mind and back-up plans.

In such a happy state of mind, I don't mind bending the truth slightly, because it is closer to the real truth itself.

However, if someone asks me a question about a course I've been on that I really didn't enjoy because I felt socially left and or was messed about by the admin people or became really depressed, I clam up.

When I'm stressed or depressed, and receive no sensible or practical advice from anyone, selling myself becomes almost impossible.

It feels like I'm living a lie.
Why should I say that I'm happy when that's not true?
If I was really happy, I would be more than happy to say it!

I read about a Buddist teaching that said something along the lines of:
"To thine self be true."
And talking to everyone the same way regardless of rank.
This was from a self help book that someone had lent me (he obviously didn't know exactly what they'd given me, but had meant well at the time :roll:)

It didn't mention anything about interviews though.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 10:02 am

Amber, selling yourself is about doing what's in your interest to do in order to ingratiate yourself with those who'll advance your interests. Feigning happiness is not necessarily in your interest in every situation and with every person.