Have you been cyber bullied?
Yes 56%  56%  [ 48 ]
no 44%  44%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 86

DaxterVoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2009, 2:56 pm

I am still quite new here, I am not sure if this thread has already been made, I haven't checked, so I hope it is okay for me to post this here.
Up to now I want to discuss my experience with cyber bullying.

I've been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome for over 7 years now. I don't have many friends in real life because I find it relatively difficult to make friends that way. So I joined a fan forum back in summer 2007. I joined, I was extremely new to the internet, and I made threads that were pretty pointless, so I got suspended. But I didn't do this later on. I joined an art site where I could post my artwork that I had made. My artwork wasn't very good, but that was why I joined the site, to request critique and help myself to improve my skills. Only a few weeks later I found the people from that fan forum had found me. I know I made pointless threads on the fan forum a long time ago back when I was new to the internet, and I didn't think they'd make a big deal out of it. They spammed my profiles, then it calmed down until I posted more artwork. They didn't deliver any helpful critique, but destructive critisim.

I began making my own characters and fan art from a show I really liked. The first comments were usually from a group of people who had been obsessively stalking my tracks, they said that I had stole the art because I drew in the same style to the show. So they said that I had stolen the show, and I had to destroy the artwork, otherwise they'd report my account. Everytime I'd make a new original character, they'd point out I stole the character, because the color or species was the same as another person's, whom I haven't even seen before! So they spammed my profile again saying I ripped off a show because I drew fanart of it, my original characters were ripoffs because the color was the same as another person's character, or, if the pose was slightly similar to another person's artwork piece, I'm told I ripped off the artist. Again, not awknowledging the artist was there.

So everytime I posted art, I was spammed. Even when I made a video of sufficient evidence all the artwork was mine, and I never stole it, they STILL continued to spam me. This began to get worse and worse, especially in 2008.

I was happy because it was Christmas holiday, and I'd gotten stuff I've wanted for a long time. Only to log onto that site, and found out my account was hacked by a bunch of channers who spammed everyone using that account, uploading stolen art, and making a journal saying ''I have a confession: I'm ret*d'' the friends of those who hacked my account were laughing when my account had gotten banned. I made a new account, and I was spammed by at least 10 channers, who said I should get cancer and die, be ran over by a car. And anything related, I don't want to link the examples because it will be inappropriate to post here. I made journals on that site saying how people could do this to me, I was upset, instead they screencapped it and posted it on a bad site for people to laugh at.

I had few friends at this point, I told them I was autistic and they should stop it because I really enjoyed art, and it broke my heart when I was no longer welcome on that site due to being hacked, I was IP suspended for a while. To this day whenever I make new accounts, they spammed my profile, depicting realistic violence, reporting my artwork for no reason, reporting me, saying I spammed, because on my hacked account, they hacker spammed with that account, and uploaded stolen artworks. They told me my artwork was ****, I was an abomination for being born, they said I was an accident, they even threatened my own mother! (This was on a private site I had made, at least 15 haters joined, started posting extremely inapropriate images and videos, and possibly links to malicious sites.)

They constantly repeated over and over threats to me, and my family. I was 14 when this happened, and considering my poor social skills, I got very upset and worked up about it. Some of these people posed as friends, little did I know they were obsessively stalking, banning and hacking my accounts that I had made since the first one that got hacked was banned from the site. I remember one of these people said in a post they were lonely, so I came onto MSN with them. This girl said she was lonely and sick, I comforted her, and the next moment, it suddenly came clear she was NOT my friend. She called me names, insulted me, called me stupid, all because I had few of the same intrests as her. The color green, Pikmin, and Nintendo. Because I know this is rude, it semt like only her and her spamming friends could like Nintendo! So she said she'd snap at me more if I posted anything she liked. On a video site and anything else. So it's like I'm not allowed to be myself.

I remember a troll who spammed my profile, my art, and my sites so much, he called me a Jew. I said ''what?'' because back then I didn't know what Judasm was. I'm not Jewish myself, I'm Christian. I've said that over and over many times. Because I didn't know what a Jew was, the girl who insulted me a few months later said I was very stupid. When I signed in to talk to one of my friends, her and another guy (who turned out to also like the chans) said I was ret*d. I said, I wasn't stupid, because my IQ was 142, which didn't class me as intellectually deficient. So they began asking me questions that seemingly geniuses couldn't awnser. And many of the questions were very offensive to me. They began calling me stupid even more and that ruined my day. I got even more death threats later on. And I'm constantly being stalked. Any site I am on, gets spammed by them, no matter if they get banned they keep returning over and over, I have left all sites I was on.

My few friends miss me very much...But I got so upset, I started crying and my depression was getting worse because of it. I was told that everyone hated me. And I got even more death threats. They made mock videos of me and that's when I decided to just leave.
Many of those people were racist. Because I was not racist or like them, I was targeted. They even poked fun at my disorder, saying I did not have it, but making an excuse for being a ret*d.

*sigh* so anyone have anything similar to what I have? Do you have any suggestions to others how you could cope?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 3:32 pm

If that happened to me, I'd leave the site. Those people don't sound like the kind of people I'd want to talk to.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

DaxterVoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2009, 4:28 pm

Callista wrote:
If that happened to me, I'd leave the site. Those people don't sound like the kind of people I'd want to talk to.

No =/
Specially if they give you death threats...

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 4:48 pm

I hope you find this forum more comfortable; there are areas for gaming, art and creativity, and adolescent discussion here... and while there is still a fair amount of personality present, with the intent of the site to be informative and supportive there is less tolerance for the sort of behavior you describe. You are at an age where I remember the experience of others being amused by my confusion or literal nature - however, remember that you're being yourself and being honest, while they have to look for someone else to make them feel better with a lie. Welcome, and hope to see you around here more in the future.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 4:51 pm

DaxterVoose wrote:
They spammed my profiles, then it calmed down until I posted more artwork. They didn't deliver any helpful critique, but destructive critisim.

post the url please. I hate as*holes who pull that BS, and I want to see if I can do something about that...

Quote:
So everytime I posted art, I was spammed. Even when I made a video of sufficient evidence all the artwork was mine, and I never stole it, they STILL continued to spam me. This began to get worse and worse, especially in 2008.

I am interested, but do you have an article on EncyclopediaDramatica? I don't think I can help you with that. Hopefully some other channers take that site down (ED has been angering the smaller chans for a while and even the larger chans aren't to toasty with it, earlier on /b/ hated dramatica, say 2006 or earlier)

Quote:
Only to log onto that site, and found out my account was hacked by a bunch of channers who spammed everyone using that account, uploading stolen art, and making a journal saying ''I have a confession: I'm ret*d'' the friends of those who hacked my account were laughing when my account had gotten banned. I made a new account, and I was spammed by at least 10 channers, who said I should get cancer and die, be ran over by a car.

Wow. That's sh***y. I got raided by freechan by "breaking rules 1 and 2: with a paper on the history of *chan and didn't get that. What chan (s)did they raid from?

Quote:
And anything related, I don't want to link the examples because it will be inappropriate to post here. I made journals on that site saying how people could do this to me, I was upset, instead they screencapped it and posted it on a bad site for people to laugh at.

Post them please. Also apparently ED got you....

Quote:
My few friends miss me very much...But I got so upset, I started crying and my depression was getting worse because of it. I was told that everyone hated me.

Those who say that 'everyone hates you' are trolls. Do not mind them and ignore the trolls. The whole "do not feed the trolls" statement applies here. Contact your friends with different accounts. then make a new account to contact them all on to be sure that they don't find it (any possible channer trolls/fakers)

Quote:
Many of those people were racist. Because I was not racist or like them, I was targeted. They even poked fun at my disorder, saying I did not have it, but making an excuse for being a ret*d.

yep. ED got you. Given you have been exhausted I would suggest making a new account so they can't continue trolling you.

Quote:
*sigh* so anyone have anything similar to what I have? Do you have any suggestions to others how you could cope?

reading some of the Dramatica articles on raid victims makes me feel like s**t. Hence I avoide those sections of dramatica and try to use other chan wikis like lurkmore and wikichan. They're probably going to end up being taken down when they piss off some group or person and he actually pulls a defamation suit. That or some other internet group/army takes down ED (see what I said about the smaller chans being mad, and a lot of the larger chans boards; like 4chan's /r9k/ and /a/ hates dramatica.

as for suggestions. STAY AWAY FROM DRAMATICA if possible (At least avoid the articles on you and other 'victims')

Please do not confuse all channers for the people who attacked you. There are plenty of friendly channers who do avoid that type of douchebaggery

DaxterVoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2009, 4:58 pm

Warsie wrote:
DaxterVoose wrote:
They spammed my profiles, then it calmed down until I posted more artwork. They didn't deliver any helpful critique, but destructive critisim.

post the url please. If you want, I can *Avenge* you in my own way. I hate as*holes who pull that BS, and depending on the forum's size I may be able to deal with it myself or call in reinforcements, especially if they do other things

Quote:

I am interested, but do you have an article on EncyclopediasDramatica? I don't think I can help you with that. Hopefully some other channers take that site down

Quote:
Only to log onto that site, and found out my account was hacked by a bunch of channers who spammed everyone using that account, uploading stolen art, and making a journal saying ''I have a confession: I'm ret*d'' the friends of those who hacked my account were laughing when my account had gotten banned. I made a new account, and I was spammed by at least 10 channers, who said I should get cancer and die, be ran over by a car.

Wow. That's sh***y. I got raided by freechn by breaking rules 1 and 2 with a paper and didn't get that. What chan did they raid from?

Quote:
And anything related, I don't want to link the examples because it will be inappropriate to post here. I made journals on that site saying how people could do this to me, I was upset, instead they screencapped it and posted it on a bad site for people to laugh at.

post them. Also apparently ED got you....

Quote:
My few friends miss me very much...But I got so upset, I started crying and my depression was getting worse because of it. I was told that everyone hated me.

contact your friends with different accounts. then make a new account to contact them all on to be sure that they don't find it (any possible channer trolls/fakers)

Quote:

yep. ED got you. Given you have been exhausted I would suggest making a new account so they can't continue trolling you.

Quote:

reading some of the Dramatica articles on raid victims makes me feel like sh**. Hence I avoide those sections of dramatica and try to use other chan wikis like lurkmore and wikichan. They're probably going to end up being taken down when they piss off some group or person and he actually pulls a defamation suit. That or some other internet group/army takes down ED.

as for suggestions. STAY AWAY FROM DRAMATICA if possible (At least avoid the articles on you and other 'victims')

Please do not confuse all channers for the people who attacked you.

I do not yet have an ED page last time I checked, but I do remember months ago they actually threatened to make one of me. I have no idea what site they really came from, but I knew them as a group of people, from a chan site, I don't know. What I do know is they posted some screencaps on the chans. I did make new accounts, but they still managed to track me down, as if they were planning it... :/ I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links the screenshots of the spam here, so I'm not sure about that yet. What I do know is that I tried everything, I made a new account and only notified my friends, I tried to act different so they couldn't identify me, but they still found me ._.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 5:08 pm

DaxterVoose wrote:
I do not yet have an ED page last time I checked, but I do remember months ago they actually threatened to make one of me.

well that's good 8)

once someone gets an article there it's nearly impossible to remove.

Quote:
I have no idea what site they really came from, but I knew them as a group of people, from a chan site, I don't know. What I do know is they posted some screencaps on the chans.

ahh. Based off that I think they either A. came from a smaller chan's invasion board (711chan and 888chan's /i/) or 24chan's /war/ or /pa/

Quote:
I did make new accounts, but they still managed to track me down, as if they were planning it... :/

They probably searched for someone with similar interests. Maybe some of them detected you based off your posting style (I have been able to notice certain peoples' posting styles on small anon textboards as I knew the dude from another site, but unless it's really noticeble I doubt that)

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links the screenshots of the spam here, so I'm not sure about that yet.

send me a PM with the link then.

Quote:
What I do know is that I tried everything, I made a new account and only notified my friends, I tried to act different so they couldn't identify me, but they still found me ._.

something tells me one (or more) of your friends is a channer mole.

you need a hug, don't you 8)

*hugs DaxterVoose* :P

EDIT: well. how long ago did this happen?

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2009, 5:25 pm

ive been cyberbullied all the time on myspace.
not on here tho all the people have been really friendly on here. :D
and its usually by guys and they look at my pics and say that im the ugliest girl on earth or i should get my teeth fixed there disguting.
even some girls but they are usually around my age or younger than me.

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2009, 5:29 pm

Trolls love to torment furries for the 'lulz'. They get their 'lulz' from any sort of drama-filled response they can get their victims to make. This is a fact. Part of being involved in the furry fandom is the high likelyhood of being trolled for this purrpose. The best strategy is to ignore all trolls. And I know, in many cases it's furries trolling furries.

Cheer up - you're not alone. ^^

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 5:34 pm

What if you were to respond with the most over-the-top emotional response you could think of, and see how long you could keep them going?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2009, 5:40 pm

Wow... I honestly would have left that site straight away.
I can relate though, but not to that extent. When I first started posting on forums, back in '06, the first forum I joined, A LOT of people hated me. I would have got banned, but the forum administrators weren't active, so everyone flamed me. Eventually I started to use grammar and rarely post threads, but people still hated me. There was one main flamer though.
In around 2007, probably early January, I said that I was leaving. To my surprise, no one cared. Only one or two people asked me to come back. Everyone else responded with, 'FINALLY!' and they even role-played a party -.-.
So, I came back, using even better grammar and I was welcomed back on strict conditions.
In the Summer of 2007, the main flamer actually apologized to me. I was actually talking to him over MSN yesterday! He was also there on an MSN conversation for my 13th birthday(yeah... my life's totally different compared to most NTs)(and so were a lot of the other initial flamers).
I'm now proud to say I'm a moderator there now :D.
There are still some sites I'm not welcome on, due to members who witnessed me when I first joined the forum, but despite this, I think I've gotten quite far.
However, I do know what you've went through. It really sucks. Though, mine wasn't that bad.
I recommend getting a positive reputation on affiliated sites and coming back in a few years time and showing them what you're like now and etc.
If they still reject you, ignore them. You're most likely better than them anyway.
You're not a newb, lol.
I hope you have a better experience here(add me on MSN if you want, just PM me, lol).
EMZ=]

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 5:48 pm

Callista wrote:
What if you were to respond with the most over-the-top emotional response you could think of, and see how long you could keep them going?

that is covered under the chanspeak term "trolls trolling trolls"

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 6:12 pm

DaxterVoose,
if are going to post links or anything else that could be quite easily found by those trolls,post it on the members board on here as it's closed off to anyone but members so wont get picked up on google searches.

it sounds disgusting what they have done,but also sounds typical-it's almost like some see it as their duty to toughen up newbies or those who don't see what's going on.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:35 pm

Yes. Someone on a Lion King messageboard called Lillymud kept accusing me of using my AS as an excuse. An excuse for what I have no idea. I have nothing aganst homosexuals but I wanted to call her something that would hit home. She always talked about how she is a lesbian the same as I talked about having AS. It seemed fair. I called her a word for English cigerretes. I was banned from the messageboard and figured everything was fine. The people there got on my nerves all the time. About a week later I found a comment posted on my Sheezy art account with a bunch of insults and a link to Lillymud Dramatica where some people had created a mean article about me, taking everything I had said on the message board and using it as diagnostic criteria for Ass Buggers Syndrome. No one would confess to it until I posted about the incident on another meassageboard I am on. They tried to turn everyone on the new messageboard against me and also told me I needed to find the website funny too. Stupid kids.

05 Apr 2009, 10:52 pm

I don't know.

I have gotten a couple mean comments on youtube about my videos I posted. I just left them and ignored it. Removing them would mean they gotten to me and I was going "boo hoo" because I deleted it. So I just left them there.

I was bullied on a forum by two teens when I was 18 and I fought back and then soon someone impersonated me on that forum. When I was 17, I got bullied a few times by jerks just because I was "naive and innocent" and my diaper stories weren't sexual. They also said I wrote like I am in elementary school. Of course there were people that stood up to me there and people saying the world would be better off if people were naive like me, honest, sweet, etc.

Would that be cyber bullying? I dunno.

I never experienced what the OP experienced. I was also stalked on AIM back in 2004 and late 2003. He followed me around on it using different screen names he had. I think he even created new ones just to go after me when I block him. He occasionally still IMs me. He did this year but the last time he did before was in 2007 so I went two years without getting an IM from him. Could me not being on AIM all the time could have been why?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 5:45 am

Daxter,
I'm so sorry that happened to you. There are some real nasty people on the internet. Some do it because they are just bored, others because they have low self confidence. I know a troll who in real life had a stutter.
When things like that happen just get offline and draw in a big sketch pad. Get away from the computer. Leave sites that have people like that. Never try to argue with them, they will just mock you more.
I remember being on a fan forum and someone hated me for no reason. I left that site and well I think that band is lame now.
You could always post your art on DeviantART.com. I think you can disable comments.
Just don't let internet bullying get you down because it's not real life. You can easily escape it.