Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:11 pm

Does anyone here with an official AS diagnosis have a U.S. security clearance?

I currently work for a defense contractor and have an active clearance. One of the questions in the application was regarding mental health and any reports of any treatment or diagnosis required a statement from a doctor or something. I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, the main reason that I am not pursuing an official diagnosis is I am afraid it will effect my clearance and I could lose my job. So I am wondering if anyone has already been through the situation.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:27 pm

The less paperwork the better.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:46 pm

I should note, I am also married to a Canadian citizen (US permanent resident) and they didn't even bother interviewing either one of us so I don't think they consider us much of a threat to security.

I don't have a single dent on my record, I have no debt (other than some student/car loans that I have never had a late payment on), I have never done illegal drugs, and have maybe one alcoholic drink every couple months.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:50 pm

Good question, it is hard to know what the answer is.

It might be best for you to remain a stealth-aspie or cryptoaspie who does not have a paper trail which makes any mention of AS.

Have you considered asking anonymously how AS is viewed by the vetters by sending an email from an account which can not be traced back to you ? Use a cybercafe where you pay cash where you are not known, and use a false name.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:53 pm

Even though people with A.S. or in some cases "full blown" autism are usually very good at keeping secrets, we are seen as less reliable or damaged goods by most in the government-military establishment. This IS DISCRIMINATION, and it needs to stop. I was diagnosed with autistic "disorder" as a 3 year old. I never disclosed this when I joined the Navy (I wasn't asked). However, this will very likely keep a person from getting a security clearance in my opinion.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:37 pm

You could get one of us who does not have a security clearance (and who has no intention of getting one) to ask. This way, there is no lying or any of the real stealth stuff that can be traced if they really wanted to.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 5:30 pm

I found this answer on a blog but it doesn't make me feel any better about it:

Quote:
Only if a qualified mental health practitioner believes that the applicant has “a condition or treatment that could impair his/her judgment or reliability, particularly in the context of safeguarding classified national security information or special nuclear information or material.”

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2009, 6:27 pm

I was able to get a clearance after reporting that I had been hospitalized for alcoholism.
I was sober at the time and able to persuade the officials involved that I was able to function
without alcohol and that my treatments would not interfere with my duties and that my responsibilities
would not cause me to relapse.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 7:52 pm

richie wrote:
I was able to get a clearance after reporting that I had been hospitalized for alcoholism.
I was sober at the time and able to persuade the officials involved that I was able to function
without alcohol and that my treatments would not interfere with my duties and that my responsibilities

Well that is comforting, but you can't detox AS :?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 5:57 am

My 2 cents....

Getting a dx for AS is a question of what it can do for your quality of life. Sounds like you've dealt with AS well enough to do okay for yourself.

The problem with security clearances is that there is not black and white rule of who is "trusted" and who is not. Lots of unsavory characters do dirty deeds for the government, but they have massive security credentials because they can keep their mouths shut.

The question isn't about you...it's about how much government is inclined to trust you. This is totally subjective. AS might not be something to hold against any one person, but it could the the reason they use against you.

I agree that if you can find a way to research how AS is viewed regarding keeping a security clearance through some anonymous channel, that would be wise before ever considering disclosing your condition.

Gainer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2009, 5:25 pm

I would ask someone you trust, knows that you have AS and knows you on whether or not to disclose, better yet see if a psycologist is available on base that is actually able to answer that question, they cannot ethically say anything without your approval. There should be one on base. I'm not a soldier so I am just speculating

Secondly I will tell, even in casual company, but only after you know the people a while. When they ask you why did you not tell them before say that you did not think it an issue. When they ask you about the mental disorder tell them that it is not a disorder, as most of us can actually fully agree on that. Most importantly is that you do mention it. If you do not and they find out you will in even bigger trouble

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 5:28 pm

I really don't think that AS would pose a security risk. The tendency to follow rules would be a good balance against possibly being easily manipulated; and not all Aspies are easy to manipulate in the first place. Some are insistent nonconformists.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 5:40 pm

Gainer wrote:
I would ask someone you trust, knows that you have AS and knows you on whether or not to disclose, better yet see if a psycologist is available on base that is actually able to answer that question, they cannot ethically say anything without your approval. There should be one on base. I'm not a soldier so I am just speculating

Secondly I will tell, even in casual company, but only after you know the people a while. When they ask you why did you not tell them before say that you did not think it an issue. When they ask you about the mental disorder tell them that it is not a disorder, as most of us can actually fully agree on that. Most importantly is that you do mention it. If you do not and they find out you will in even bigger trouble

Well I am not diagnosed and I have never seen a psychologist or other mental health professional. So really there is nothing to tell other than my own suspicions, but legally that really doesn't mean a whole lot. The question on the clearance application doesn't ask if I think I have something, but rather if I have been diagnosed or treated for anything.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Apr 2009, 5:54 pm

Kirska wrote:
richie wrote:

Well that is comforting, but you can't detox AS :?

Alcoholism may or may not be a disease but drinking with full knowledge of consequences is willful
misconduct. AS is not an act of volition or a choice but a neurological condition that may or may not affect
ones decision making. Loyalty and betrayal of trust are always acts of the will.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2009, 1:04 am

cyberscan wrote:
Even though people with A.S. or in some cases "full blown" autism are usually very good at keeping secrets, we are seen as less reliable or damaged goods by most in the government-military establishment. This IS DISCRIMINATION, and it needs to stop. I was diagnosed with autistic "disorder" as a 3 year old. I never disclosed this when I joined the Navy (I wasn't asked). However, this will very likely keep a person from getting a security clearance in my opinion.

However, an official diagnosis could come in very handy if there's ever another draft.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 2:32 am

AS has some constants, they are all waiting for the Mother Ship.

The first rule of Security, never tell anyone anything they do not have to know.

Only tell what they would find out anyhow.

It is not as much you as a risk, the very questions are to see if you voluntarily give more information than they asked for, if your nature is being a talker.

Beware of the trick question, Do you favor the overthrow of the United States by force or violence, answer no once.

Most security clearance is just to get in the gate, there are other levels.

Next level is someone asks what you do, play down what you do, just a paper shuffler.

Security checks are constant, be boring. They come at work, and outside of work.

You have no idea what the company does, you just do your job.

you are a girl, they do not have AS, ask Asperger.