Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 2:26 pm

So Samsung and Autism Speaks Canada have teamed up to give tablets to 200 autistic kids. These tablets are loaded with the Look at Me app which encourages children make eye contact through play.

Canadian Reviewer link

Quote:
The interactive camera based app is intended to help families and their children living with autism improve the communication and social connections.

The Look at Me Project link

Quote:
The Look at Me Project is designed to create a shared community to connect families with similar experiences. This project hopes to facilitate meaningful connections between parents, caregivers, and their children, as well as to foster connections between the 200 families selected.

Parents will be encouraged to share the progress of their children using the app over the course of eight weeks. By actively engaging in the project through an online community forum, the hope is that families will benefit from the collective experience of the other participants.

The Look at Me app aims to improve an individual’s ability to make eye contact. A multidisciplinary team of clinical psychologists, cognitive psychologists, and psychiatrists have dedicated their participation in developing the app curriculum. The app is currently under clinical testing to verify its effectiveness through research. The app keeps children motivated and highly concentrated by using the camera function of digital devices that often appeal to children’s interests.

It also features a point system, themed missions, various rewards, and visual or sound effects to keep children engaged. Levels can be customized based on the children’s achievements. Each mission in the app requires interaction between parents and their children to encourage positive relationships and connections.

Such fuss over eye contact. I don't understand it.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Dec 2014, 2:27 pm

eye contact serves a useful purpose. it allows people to connect.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 2:39 pm

alex wrote:

Only if it's natural. I have never connected with anyone through forced eye contact. So I agree that eye contact is important but disagree about the benefit of unnaturally doing so. When I make eye contact, which occasionally I do, it is meaningful because am actually moved to do so.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 2:41 pm

Agreed. Eye contact is overrated and unnecessary!

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 3:35 pm

I use eye contact sort of like punctuation when I'm speaking.

My eyes drift off to the side, but return to meet their eyes toward the end of sentences. If there are multiple people, I briefly glance at each of them. Sometimes I alternate between the two or three people closest to me. This is simply to assure them that I'm aware of their presence and that I appreciate that they're listening to me.

When a person is speaking to me, I do the same thing--my eyes drift but they always return to the speaker at the ends of sentences to assure them that I'm paying attention.

This also changes slightly depending on the person. When someone gives me a lot of eye contact while speaking, I give them the same in return. When someone maintains less eye contact, I give them less in return because that is what they're comfortable with.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:07 pm

androbot01 wrote:
alex wrote:

Only if it's natural. I have never connected with anyone through forced eye contact. So I agree that eye contact is important but disagree about the benefit of unnaturally doing so. When I make eye contact, which occasionally I do, it is meaningful because am actually moved to do so.

This. My mother is always telling me that I'll be able to read people better if I make eye contact because you can read emotions in the eyes. What she doesn't understand is that I can't: all eyes look the same to me, and looking right at them makes me feel extremely exposed and threatened, not unlike a dog, I would imagine.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:25 pm

How about a "Be yourself" app for NT kids to discourage them from becoming sheeple ?

After all, what's the use in connecting with something that's primarily a carbon copy of most other people?

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:36 pm

Eye contact doesn't really have any inherent benefits. It has benefits only in reaping of society's rewards for conforming to social norms. So, there are good reasons to teach it, seeing as society isn't gonna change anytime soon no matter how much I wish it would.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:39 pm

Syd wrote:
When someone gives me a lot of eye contact while speaking, I give them the same in return. When someone maintains less eye contact, I give them less in return because that is what they're comfortable with.

Why worry so much about what they're comfortable with?

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:16 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Syd wrote:
When someone gives me a lot of eye contact while speaking, I give them the same in return. When someone maintains less eye contact, I give them less in return because that is what they're comfortable with.

Because they will become angry with you for not conforming. It's built into the hive mind software.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:40 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Syd wrote:

Because in most cases, when other people are happy, I feel happy too.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:57 pm

Syd wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Syd wrote:

Because in most cases, when other people are happy, I feel happy too.

I went for years trying to make people comfortable. Trying to do all the social nuances. I completely broke down. It's hard to think that to be oneself is to make others unhappy. Damages the psyche. Now I'm just myself. And now I have a better idea who my friends are.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I went for years trying to make people comfortable. Trying to do all the social nuances. I completely broke down. It's hard to think that to be oneself is to make others unhappy. Damages the psyche. Now I'm just myself. And now I have a better idea who my friends are.

I think that is a great way to put it.

There is a system in place to force conformity and squash individuality.
The "look at me" app is more evidence of this, and not confirmation bias.

The more autistics who can learn to conform, the more pressure there will be on those who cannot.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 6:52 pm

olympiadis wrote:
The more autistics who can learn to conform, the more pressure there will be on those who cannot.

People who have other disabilities are not pressured to pretend that they do not. My mother's friend has Parkinson's and she has tremors. She did take medication to stop them, but she didn't like the side effects. So now she shakes. And this does sometimes make others feel awkward. Should she conceal the tremors by taking medication that effects her badly so that others don't have to be unhappy about her condition? That would be absurd. The same is true with behaviour modification. The side effects can be costly.

But what gets me is the assumption without consideration that the autistic way of interacting is invalid.

zoidbreezy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2014, 6:56 pm

As someone who is getting bad performance evaluations during my medical school clinical rotations for "not making enough eye contact," I would say it is pretty important skill as I would not only like to connect with people...but I would also like to connect with my graduate degree.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 6:58 pm

I wish I could look my husband in the eyes for longer than a glance or for longer than 5 seconds. We used to play a game where we'd count the seconds. That was the longest I lasted. He wants to have that "looking into each other's eyes" thing. It makes me sad that I can't give that to him. And it makes me sad that after 8 years of marriage that he's given up on that. I don't think he is sore over it, but it bothers me knowing that is another simple thing I can't give him and it is something he shouldn't have to live without. I can do it in my imagination; I wish I could do it in real life. It makes me feel extremely exposed and actually becomes painful.

I don't believe in forcing a child or anyone for that matter to look someone else in the eyes. Back before I knew much about autism, it used to really bother me when I'd hear about people trying to get autistic or even just shy kids to look them in the eye. Way to traumatize someone and make them even more reticent or avoidant or scared about interacting with you :roll: . I do think the powers that be (professionals and experts and parents) put too much emphasis on getting a kid to look them in the eyes, but at the same time, in Western culture, especially, if you can't make enough eye contact, people think you are uninterested, shifty, dishonest, passive-aggressive, or even mentally ill. They want the person to talk, but expecting them to make eye contact, makes the talking and thinking of something to say even harder, for me anyone. I don't know about anyone else.