Hypersensitivity - to drugs e.g. caffeine also?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2009, 3:17 pm

Many people feel a core feature of Asperger/AS is hypersensitivity of the senses e.g. to sound (see for example http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2153077.html#2153077).

I also seem to be very sensitive to caffeine, chocolate, alcohol - i.e. a small dose can have a big effect - is this common?

Thanks

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 3:51 pm

I react differently to some substances. When I use caffeine I can get more sleepy or it has little effect.
Also some combinations can give strange reactions.

So it does not seem like hypersensitivity in my case, but some alternate chemistry.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2009, 3:58 pm

Yes, this is true for me. Small amounts of both caffeine and alcohol make me feel very dizzy and unwell. Also junk food and food with artificial additives in it tend to make me feel physically overwhelmed - in the same way I feel from too much sensory stimulation. I need to eat very simple, natural food to feel at my best.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 3:58 pm

I react differently on some drugs - some have a stronger effect, some a lesser effect, some a different effect.

I am famous for appearing still sober, even highly intoxicated with alcohol. I do realize that my brain does not work properly any more whilst others do think that I am still sober.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 4:22 pm

This is true for me, as well. I can get high off of literally one drop of alcohol, and a single cup of coffee can make me very nervous. Once I drank a cup of coffee before a test and made a bunch of stupid mistakes on it because of how nervous I got. Chocolate, on the other hand, helps me study somehow.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 5:22 pm

Nope no caffeine problem. Just hypersensitivity to light and certain high sound frequencies.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 5:41 pm

coffee makes me super gassy and wakes me want to fall asleep on the spot, liquor makes me dizzy and hot in my entire body, weed makes me go to Jupiter and back.

:::)

luchog
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2009, 5:47 pm

JCJC777 wrote:
Many people feel a core feature of Asperger/AS is hypersensitivity of the senses e.g. to sound (see for example http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2153077.html#2153077).

I also seem to be very sensitive to caffeine, chocolate, alcohol - i.e. a small dose can have a big effect - is this common?

My alcohol tolerance is pretty normal, as is my reaction to various other drugs (otc, prescription, and illicit), although i tend to need higher doses of some of them to have the desired effect. However, I am highly sensitive to stimulants of any sort. Caffiene, dextroamphetamine, methylphenidate, theophylline, whatever. I cannot drink coffee because of the caffiene content, and I have to limit my tea drinking. Energy drinks make me physically ill.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 6:24 pm

Asterisp wrote:
I react differently to some substances. When I use caffeine I can get more sleepy or it has little effect.

So it does not seem like hypersensitivity in my case, but some alternate chemistry.

SAME HERE! Milk can keep me awake, Caffiene makes me sleepier, if anything, and pain killers JUST DON'T WORK! BTW I am a chocoholic, and alcohol is fine.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 7:50 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Asterisp wrote:

SAME HERE! Milk can keep me awake, Caffiene makes me sleepier, if anything, and pain killers JUST DON'T WORK! BTW I am a chocoholic, and alcohol is fine.

Painkillers work with me - but it depends: Paracetamol and acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin) work quite normal, when it come to codeine or other opiates likes (Tramadol) I need quite high amounts to have any effect.

Caffeine: I don't think I here anyway typical, but this has more to do that I grow up in a family of strong coffee drinker, so I am used to ten cups of coffee a day since the age of 14 or so. I just need this stuff to function in any respect.

Last2Know
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2009, 8:24 pm

Definitely. Especially alcohol, caffeine and processed foods like sugar and flour. I feel drugged on that stuff. And as far as meds go if there is a side effect to be felt, I feel it!

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2009, 9:06 pm

yeah i couldnt drink caffeine drinks when i was little cuz i would faint especially in the summer time.
the only caffeine drink i like is mountain dew and i dont drink it as much.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 9:13 pm

capriwim wrote:
Yes, this is true for me. Small amounts of both caffeine and alcohol make me feel very dizzy and unwell. Also junk food and food with artificial additives in it tend to make me feel physically overwhelmed - in the same way I feel from too much sensory stimulation. I need to eat very simple, natural food to feel at my best.

Coffee just wakes me up and actually makes me get more organised. It overheats me though so I can never finish it. I'm drunk off 2-3 glasses of alcohol.
But I'm with you on food. I get ill from deep fried and processed food. I only can eat a little junk. I'm only at my best when I have healthy food too, apart from wheat and dairy. Dairy food/drinks is like having a sleeping potion and wheat gives me indigestion. Soft drinks give me stomach cramps and the bubbles hurt my tongue. I'm so very sensitive to food, even the mildest chili is hot to me. And I'm allergic to oranges.
The strange thing is I need a higher dosage of a painkiller for them to work. You'd think I'd be knocked out after one.

Scott_R92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Ohio, in the depths of despair and the pits of hell. Charming, isn't it?

13 Apr 2009, 10:45 pm

Like a few others here, caffeine seems to have little effect on the men in my family, including myself. while it doesn't make me sleepy, and prevents me from falling asleep, I don't get riled up by it in any way, and find myself drinking soda and coffee for flavor more so than caffeine rushes.

Where are you on the spectrum?

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm

Absolutely. I had half a small latte at 11am, and couldn't sleep that night. But when I get novocaine at the dentist, it doesn't take effect right away and I end up feeling the whole thing, then my mouth is numb hours afterward.

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2009, 2:12 am

Coffe works the way it should with me...at first. I get a pretty intense headache if I stop...about 48 hours later. Sugar has always been a problem...I've tested negative for diabetes many times. Chocolate is my weakness...the hell with the way I feel.

But eating a gingerbread man makes me feel like...

a cannibal.

dp