Autism/Aspergers: A Gift or God's Cruel Joke?

Page 6 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Are Autism Spectrum Disorders gifts or curses?
Gift 56%  56%  [ 59 ]
Curse 44%  44%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 106

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2009, 7:48 pm

Autism is what makes me who I am. And I am proud of who I am. Therefore I am proud of my Autism.
So for me it has to be a gift.

I feel I have strengths that many dont have, but also many weaknesses (which is the same as everybody else, but they're just a little different), and with the weaknesses I do have, I do my best to try and improve on, as at the end of the day I can only try my hardest, and if I think I've done that, then I'm happy, even if the improvement is minimal (like it often is!).

Thats the way i see it anyway :)

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 7:55 pm

I don't believe in a god but I'd say "curse."

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 8:09 pm

For 1, I dont believe in god, so taking the question as a gift or a curse.
I'd say curse, without AS, life would be much easier. All the good qualities about me, there are many NTs out their with that ability, so that doesnt put me to any advantage. But most of my weaknesses root from AS which sucks majorly. I have to work super hard with what Im able to do to compensate for some it. But theres a lot of stuff I still cant make up for. :(

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 8:12 pm

For 1, I dont believe in god, so taking the question as a gift or a curse.
I'd say curse, without AS, life would be much easier. All the good qualities about me, there are many NTs out their with that ability, so that doesnt put me to any advantage. But most of my weaknesses root from AS which sucks majorly. I have to work super hard with what Im able to do to compensate for some it. But theres a lot of stuff I still cant make up for. :(
I figure theres no real purpose for me here that someone else couldnt already do. I dont really contribute anything but pessimism. But I dont have a choice, the stupid people here are a bunch of sh***y hypocrites, they dont value me but they make me stay here.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 3:24 am

princesseli wrote:
I figure theres no real purpose for me here that someone else couldnt already do. I dont really contribute anything but pessimism. But I dont have a choice, the stupid people here are a bunch of sh***y hypocrites, they dont value me but they make me stay here.

Perhaps, & ASD's are hard. But must ask, princesseli, about your quote, you're not referring to "the stupid people here" as those of us on Wrong Planet? I shall ask you not speak of us in this way, but unsure of your meaning.

Clarify, or I shall edit for content for you.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:16 pm

Giftorcurse, in my own personal view, I see my Asperger's as having both elements good and bad, but realistically speaking, it's more about how you go about life as a whole and how you try to focus on the good aspects and not overly fall into a negative view of the bad variables of AS or how it can cause difficulties althroughout one's life.. I shant lie and say, I'd never had troubles for, I have and still do at this very point in life yet I do my best to get away from turning into some Darth Vader as, someone once called me.. Respectfully speaking, life is not like a straight line nor is AS therefore, we as people try to learn how to deal with the changing landscape as best as possible..

ProfessorX

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 10:02 pm

Sora wrote:
LabPet wrote:
A bittersweet gift?

I got to remember this! I feel that's a brilliant way of saying it.

yes, it truly is. bittersweet and sweet&sour.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 11:03 pm

^ And with a fortune cookie

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 5:47 am

Hey, can I get rice with that too?? :D

IMO I like it better if it's China food instead of that...
...burger thing. 8)

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 5:58 am

Lets see: AS is a bit of a pain, but look on the bright side - I could have been normal.

This believing in god stuff, though, has to be a curse. For more than five decades I carried that load around with me, and - apart from comforting me through some of the reverses - it really didn't help.

Asuigeneris1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2009, 6:20 am

I have a very high IQ and I am NT, so whereas AS perhaps does give that gift to some...I doubt it's all. My boyfriend is very intelligent in some ways and yet he tends to try to shove the square peg into the round hole frequently as well. His writing is astounding, words drawn from the deepest of wells...but I honestly think on a day to day basis life mostly just confuses him and makes him withdrawn. I would say yes in a heartbeat to him being NT, if I thought it would make life easier for him. I love him so much, I hate him not feeling comfortable in his own skin or in the world at large.

...but then again, would I love him the way I do if he were NT?

burck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2009, 10:34 am

i was wondering if any of you struggle with this...i am so discouraged, in terms of my AS. it runs in my family: my brother has AS and my son has autism.

i am a christian and i cannot understand how asperger's glorifies God. i cannot keep a conversation going w/ anybody, and i, too, do not know when i should say something or when i should not. silence in discourse is utterly awkward, and i cannot make eye contact, if my life depended on it.

i love the Lord, and i know He commands peace to rule in our hearts. He also tells us to love others, and to speak only that which is edifying to the listener. i have no friends, so how am i to love others when all i seem to do is make others feel awkward and uncomfortable when talking w/ me. how can asperger's glorify Him? anybody?

how can a christian w/ AS lead others into the kingdom when people don't feel comfortable talking w/ us? how can i be an instrument for God's glory? i feel so alone, too.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 May 2009, 12:49 pm

I would like to help you with your need about Christianity and autism. If you accept my fellowship on this I am willing to try to help you. I am no counselor, but I do have AS, and I too am a Christian. I am also an autistic savant that conducts a music ministry. My message is in hope and inspiration during troubling times. From the standpoint of autism---I view it as a gift from God. It needs to first be accepted, then nurtured, and then---the gift is born.

There is so much to say on this topic that it will take several posts of conversing with you for me to discuss it. I can say, there is hope for you.

I may also suggest a book entitled Autism's Hidden Blessings by Kelly Langston (very Christian based). Even though her stand on autism differs from mine a bit, I still think it is good reading.

burck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2009, 1:00 pm

thank you for your post. i do think i need to get to a point of acceptance, as you shared. i believe God gives us the desires of our heart and that if we ask Him anything, it will be done for those who abide in Him and vs; His word promises.

so, i have strong desires to fit in, socially, to converse comfortably in order to make friends (as iron sharpens iron). even my pastor is uncomfortable around me, and that hurts. i just don't understand how this AS glorifies Him when others (whom we are commanded to love as ourselves) don't even want to be around us! and, if He gives us the desires of our hearts, then wouldn't it be fitting for Him to fulfill those godly desires?

ed
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:21 pm

burck wrote:
i was wondering if any of you struggle with this...i am so discouraged, in terms of my AS. it runs in my family: my brother has AS and my son has autism.

i am a christian and i cannot understand how asperger's glorifies God. i cannot keep a conversation going w/ anybody, and i, too, do not know when i should say something or when i should not. silence in discourse is utterly awkward, and i cannot make eye contact, if my life depended on it.

i love the Lord, and i know He commands peace to rule in our hearts. He also tells us to love others, and to speak only that which is edifying to the listener. i have no friends, so how am i to love others when all i seem to do is make others feel awkward and uncomfortable when talking w/ me. how can asperger's glorify Him? anybody?

how can a christian w/ AS lead others into the kingdom when people don't feel comfortable talking w/ us? how can i be an instrument for God's glory? i feel so alone, too.

Hi burck... Welcome to WP :salut:

We have a large Christian community here on WP... hopefully you'll find lots of friends.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 6:14 pm

Almost a PM for glider18, burck (Welcome to Wrong Planet!), ed, et al. But still applicable to many. Note: Lab Pet is not a Christian but I do have a great respect! But regardless, this is a truly beautiful video - I shared this with one and he said (quote) "Very touching - wonderous." Maybe this will help put ASDs into perspective. Lab Pet is a scientist so this does hold meaning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZzcOlh6FoE

^ I have this bookmarked - for a reason. Hope you all like - well done clip (audio/visual) too. Please watch/share.