AS - disability, disorder, condition, difference, other!

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How do you prefer others to refer to you in regards to being on the autism spectrum!
disability 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
disorder 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
condition 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
difference 39%  39%  [ 31 ]
other (state below) 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 79

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 9:12 pm

Jamin wrote:
We choose for ourselves how we respond to it.
Therein lies our responsibility --- and our power.

A nice way of putting it and I agree, thats why it is important the saying "nothing about us without us" I guess have ask this question as many like to label without really understanding the core of who we are. I of course as you say can only generalize for myself. To be honest to me its not about the label that I feel is important but understanding self. But I have found often our misunderstood difference gets seen as a disability and at times this is because of lack of real awareness, ignorance of true meaning or understanding...

I guess if I had to choose I would say difference, as we are all in fact different on or off the autism spectrum, everyone person has strengths and challenges in life's journey... but I so agree we should be the ones deciding how we preceive ourselves, not our others see us!

Mixtli
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm

FePixie wrote:
Sometimes i say i have einstein disease - or einstein syndrome - or einsteinitis...

This causes an immediate "intelligent" thought rather than an immediate "mental case" thought which sends a listener off on a "curiosity" tangent rather than an "i feel sorry for you" one...

Can we rename it einsteinitis? I'm sure it'd help heaps with public image...

I'm down with this...

Also, calling einsteinitis a disability is like telling someone who cannot precisely map things out in their head or manipulate 3d objects with ease in their mind (as I can) that they need a social worker. Silliness!

So, I don't always get exchanges in a group situation... if someone would call me disabled, I have a few challenges for them. Don't try this at home type stuff (risk of severe headaches and overthinking fatigue).

julie_b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2009, 3:00 am

Danielismyname wrote:
julie_b wrote:
In fact if anyone were to call me disabled I would probably punch them.

You're disabled if you're diagnosed.

Does this mean I have to punch you ?????

Only joking :wink:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 4:22 am

You could.

RE: disabled,

Quote:
The disturbance must cause clinically significant impairment in social adaptation, which in turn may have a significant impact on self-suffiency or on occupational or other important areas of functioning (Criterion C). The social deficits and restricted patterns of interests, activities, and behavior are the source of considerable disability.

In theory, if you aren't disabled to some extent, you can't receive a diagnosis of AS by those who use the DSM-IV-TR.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2009, 4:36 am

I picked 'other'.

My preferred term is 'box'. As in, 'some part of me is in the Asperger's Box'.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 4:57 am

Nordic wrote:
Given the amount of grief, setbacks, disappointment, and abuse I've lived through because of my "condition" of Asperger's, I think I've earned the right to label it as a disability. AS has resulted in profound differences in my life that put me at a disadvantage vis-a-vis others, so I feel calling it a disability is fully warranted.

Yeah, I'd go with that. The way that the wider society treats people with ASD could certainly be improved, but not all the problems that ASDs cause involve other people. If everyone in the world was a perfect model of tolerance and understanding, it still wouldn't make "everything all right." If there was some way to gain the benefits - such as they are - of being on the AS, without the drawbacks, then it would not be a disability, in my view.

The year is still young.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 5:56 am

I still feel I am able in my way and have many challenges with society as it is, and that the D "disability" should be D for "disadvantaged" 8O

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 6:20 am

How I see that:

I'm not disadvantaged compared to my peers; sure, some things are harder or impossible for me that they can do, but that's just how the cookie crumbled. There's some things I can do what are hard or even impossible for them, it's just that they aren't in areas that human society really focuses on.

Disadvantaged would equate to not having the same chance as my peers; I have a chance to do the same things as them, it's just the whole "disabled" thing gets in the way.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Apr 2009, 6:39 am

RE: disabled,

Quote:
The disturbance must cause clinically significant impairment in social adaptation, which in turn may have a significant impact on self-suffiency or on occupational or other important areas of functioning (Criterion C). The social deficits and restricted patterns of interests, activities, and behavior are the source of considerable disability.

Danielismyname's quote:
In theory, if you aren't disabled to some extent, you can't receive a diagnosis of AS by those who use the DSM-IV-TR.[/quote]

I read through the line of discussion leading up to this. Though I still perceive my AS as a difference (or even a condition), I do admit to agreeing with Danielismyname's line of reasoning here in that one is "disabled to some extent" according the DSM-IV-TR guidelines. I was diagnosed with AS based on the DSM-IV and another (the Gillberg?). It was determined that I had social deficits in my life (from early childhood to the present). If someone were to ask me how many true friends I have I would have to respond with "0." Sure, there have been plenty of opportunities for me---but it just doesn't work. I do not fit in. I am eccentric. I am different. For some, this social deficit is a frustration. For me, I have accepted it and actually prefer the more lonely existence. I do have family though. I consider my family my friends.

What I am saying is---yes, there is a deficit here for me. You could perceive that as "disabled" because it would be a disability for many (autistics and NTs alike), but for me I don't consider myself "disabled" because I do not seek this socialization. But...there are times I find myself irritated because of people trying to interact with me (like at assemblies, in the hallway at work, at church, etc.) and I just cannot easily interact. I also don't like people slapping me on the back or arm, etc. So...perhaps it is a disability for me too. As the great British comedian Benny Hill used to say, I'm "learning all the time."

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 1:50 pm

I'm on the fence with this one.... I'd like to call it a difference, but at the same time I think that a difference is something that can be changed if, or even chosen. There are some areas of my life that AS does indeed disable me, and there are many others that struggle far more than I do. There are some that cannot live completely independently, and they need accommodations. Minimizing the help that they need by calling it a difference is less than helpful when they go to apply for those accommodations. I think society needs to get away from the idea that 'disability' equals 'less than'. There should be no shame in claiming that one has a disability, but as of now, the word itself seems to come with an attached dinginess (for lack of a better word) that makes people want to hide it. It's almost a stigma, or taboo, something we don't talk about. Nobody would say that those with MR are just different, no they're disabled. They have a cognitive disability. It's a label that we use to describe others, but no one really wants to own. It's kind of like saying that it's wrong to call OUR group a certain label, but that group over there.... yeah, they're the ones that need that label. And, of course, if we're talking the whole entire spectrum here I have a son that will possibly never be potty trained, will probably never live on his own, and at this point has been mentally stuck at about the 9-12 month old level despite his age being 5 1/2. In my view, he has a disability.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:10 pm

Ask me after I've just had a horrible social mishap, almost had a panic attack because I'm trying to deal with too many things at once, or in a new environment and feel like puking, and I would say a disorder.

Ask me when I've just scored really high on a science assignment or finished writing a scifi novel within a few weeks due to hyperfocusing all the time, and I would say a difference.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 6:27 am

serenity wrote:
In my view, he has a disability.
Hi Serenity. I do so understand where your coming form but I know the disability is not to you as know how you embrace your child, so if its to society who is it a disability to or is he just challenged in some areas and able in others... I guess I am trying to see the able form the disable the positive in so often the negative :?
who to say any difference is right or wrong :?:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:00 am

A difference...that is accompanied by certain dysfunctions....

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:08 am

disorder.

Literally, there are things out-of-order upstairs. That's how I experience it.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 7:49 am

Disability to who I ask myself, not me
Disorder seems to follow where ever I go
Condition I have many associated ones
Difference like each and every one of us
Other a "fruit salad mix" Donna Williams

But I am just me, spent a life time of pretending and guess use to all the labels and names,
but I am simply a autistic individual call me what you will :alien:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 9:02 am

I don't know.

In employment, at a good job I don't want to lose, I might prefer the label "disabled" because it would protect my job.

In social situations, I might prefer "disorder" or "condition."

"Difference" is just politically correct garbage. A black person is "different." AS is something more than just a variety of homo sapien based on what gene pair you were given for skin color or eye color.