AS - disability, disorder, condition, difference, other!

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How do you prefer others to refer to you in regards to being on the autism spectrum!
disability 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
disorder 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
condition 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
difference 39%  39%  [ 31 ]
other (state below) 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 79

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:04 pm

I continually find myself disagreeing with people on this, often labeling us because of there own situations.... ie... when children often have an associated condition with autism which courses a disability, they insist autism is the disability.

I feel a more general positive use of how we are all described is vital to help faze out the old stereo type of what autism often is seen as by many.... as most of us know here those of us on the autism spectrum are as diverse and different as those that are not..

The word disorder is often used and some are starting to use the word condition, my preference is still difference, as feel until our differences are fully understood, accepted and allowed, many will continue to feel they have a right to want us to conform to a stereo type imagine to suit them, not necessarily us!

Love your views and thoughts on this...

Last edited by asplanet on 20 Apr 2009, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:25 pm

All of them at once, I think.

When my lack of social ability causes confusion and (sometimes, sadly) hostility between myself and another human, it is certainly a disability. Having a disability does not make one a bad person, I'm sure we all agree, so why do some have an aversion to calling AS a disability when it does, in places, disable the person with it?

I'm not sure there is much practical difference between the words, "condition," "disability," and "disorder." All of them are seen as negative things. This is the problem: we would be better served if it was not seen as being bad to have a disability than we would by using a word that is currently more neutral (such as "difference."). Such words get corrupted, anyway, by association with disability (I think of the use of "special" in "special-needs" causing the word to become a synonym for ret*d and, then-following, its appearance as a playground insult ).

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:28 pm

condition is neutral and describes a difference and rabid curebies + uncle tom self-hating autistics can't b***h about 'political correctness' :mrgreen:

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:33 pm

McTell wrote:
All of them at once, I think.

When my lack of social ability causes confusion and (sometimes, sadly) hostility between myself and another human, it is certainly a disability. Having a disability does not make one a bad person, I'm sure we all agree, so why do some have an aversion to calling AS a disability when it does, in places, disable the person with it?

I have no problem with the word disability, but unfortunatelly it tends to stereo type us even more than others already do, and gives a false misconception to many that we are all disabled, when many of us are not, many function extremely well, its just often as I see it anyway our difference so misunderstood.

No easy answers I guess as the autism spectrum is vast and so maybe we should just say autism spectrum and leave it there!

Its just others seem to insist on changing the end "D" word is it needed at all, for me I have aspergers and other neurological differences to others I just say I am a autistic individual on the autism spectrum - AUTISM / AUTISTIC just words that seems to created so much misunderstood reaction, so guess feel disability just adds to the way we are judged already and many misconceptions.. I just feel to move forward a new positive image is needed and to me difference I like because its my differences that are not understood, not necessarily a disability to me, but often for others!

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:41 pm

Warsie wrote:
condition is neutral and describes a difference and rabid curebies + uncle tom self-hating autistics can't b***h about 'political correctness' :mrgreen:

In theory the word "disability" should also be neutral. What is wrong with having a disability? A disability is merely "the want of an ability." It is just unfortunate that their is a stigma attached to having a disability.

If the word was "condition," it would be but a matter of time before children in playgrounds would be insulting others by saying, "You've got a condition! You've got a condition!" After that we'd be looking for another word.

I hope you aren't going to assume I am some sort of self-loathing AS, merely for seeing it as a disability.

asplanet wrote:
Its just others seem to insist on changing the end "D" word is it needed at all, for me I have aspergers and other neurological differences to others I just say I am a autistic individual on the autism spectrum - AUTISM / AUTISTIC just words that seems to created so much misunderstood reaction, so guess feel disability just adds to the way we are judged already and many misconceptions.. I just feel to move forward a new positive image is needed and to me difference I like because its my differences that are not understood, not necessarily a disability to me, but often for others!

Yeah, I agree that as soon as someone is labelled as "disabled," society is inclined to judge them differently. However, that's a problem with society and not with the word, which is entirely accurate if the individual is impaired in some way (even if it is mild).

EDIT REASONS: Clarifications and sorting muck-ups with the quote function.

Last edited by McTell on 20 Apr 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:45 pm

Warsie wrote:
condition is neutral and describes a difference and rabid curebies

I could live with a condition, but am I a condition no more than I feel I have a disorder, to me still a misunderstood difference! and even tough I say difference I think that started to replace the D (disability , disorder) but really quite open minded, I guess its the labeling, stereo typing by society I find hard to deal with and how as a group can we move forward and help others see its not all negative to be different, we may have weaknesses, but we also have many strengths but often get forgotten, but the positives are what also often distinguishes us, here are just a few words that come to mind in my opinion, which of course vary as we do:

Honesty, genuine, dependable, integrity, reliable, loyal, trustworthy, non judgmental, free of many prejudices, very accepting of other differences. We pay attention to detail and often notice things others may miss, will stick to the facts if feel others are wrong, principles. Sensitive and an ability to be connect with animals and small children. We can be a little over enthusiasm and have a great need for knowledge which often may seem to outsiders obsessive research. Of course this can lead to all sorts of talented, and we are often intelligent, creative in our own differencing ways and for some of us at times feel we are ahead of our years in one some respects!

ASD never boring, as autism spectrum disorders are illusive because they are not identifiable by a common trait or behavior and no one strategy works for all of them. We have ability to love totally, unconditionally, live in a moment, less materialistic. We can be in our own company for hours and not feel lonely and have great conversations with ourselves. We were born to think "outside of the box" open new doors for none ASD individuals, and even though the characteristic traits of AS can make life difficult and uncomfortable, they have been responsible for some of the world's greatest achievements throughout history - for example the typical AS originality, intense focus and potential to become leaders rather than followers.

I feel we need to thinkand be positive, as we have enough others putting us down, so feel what ever we are called and know many of us have been called many things, I was bullied almost to extinction like many of you, I feel its about time we all stood proud spoke out and guess I do not want words use to reflect from the real me!

AlMightyAl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2009, 8:24 pm

To me its nothing.
I don't want anyone to know about my Aspergers and I don't want to be referred to by it at all.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2009, 8:47 pm

For some reason the people I talk to genuinely stumble over the "right" politically correct word. In that case, I'll accept just about any word they use because I know they're trying to courteous...

Just so long as they don't use "disease" :roll:

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 8:58 pm

Dark_Red_Beloved wrote:
Just so long as they don't use "disease" :roll:

Its always seems to be the D "disease", "disability", "disorder", "disadvantaged" my "D" has to be different, we are simply different and feel its about time people focus on how able we are, as everyone has strengths and weakness, and can all be able or disabled in many ways... ignorance disables other not on the spectrum seeing what able individuals we really are, after all some of the best minds on the planet are on the autism spectrum, but guess while there continues to be no fact we are mysteries as the universe to some :alien:

AlMightyAl wrote:
To me its nothing. I don't want anyone to know about my Aspergers and I don't want to be referred to by it at all.

In a way your right as each and every one of us on this planet is born a unique individual and if on the autism spectrum or not, we are still all different... and should not be defined by any name and to me its not about any label but understanding, allowing and accepting self :wink:

But while many in the world seem to find it hard to grasp our differences, I guess our for recognition we need a name for our misunderstood differences, or do we... is it just labels given to us for those that do not understand!

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2009, 9:34 pm

Sometimes i say i have einstein disease - or einstein syndrome - or einsteinitis...

This causes an immediate "intelligent" thought rather than an immediate "mental case" thought which sends a listener off on a "curiosity" tangent rather than an "i feel sorry for you" one...

Can we rename it einsteinitis? I'm sure it'd help heaps with public image...

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 10:42 pm

FePixie wrote:
Sometimes i say i have einstein disease - or einstein syndrome - or einsteinitis...

This causes an immediate "intelligent" thought rather than an immediate "mental case" thought which sends a listener off on a "curiosity" tangent rather than an "i feel sorry for you" one...

I like it, I like it a lot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 10:47 pm

I think that it's a difference, and what can be different can be beautiful. :flower:

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 11:25 pm

FePixie wrote:
no stigma, just brilliance, I like also :alien:

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that it's a difference, and what can be different can be beautiful. :flower:
I agree and as varied as any flower :wink:

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 6:57 am

Other: Selfish and whiny.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 7:07 am

Fickle_Pickle wrote:

Having a misunderstood difference often means we get called names and/or lose confidence in self :?

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 7:09 am

asplanet wrote:
Fickle_Pickle wrote:

Having a misunderstood difference often means we get called names and/or lose confidence in self :?

But it's weird, everyone expects me to act NT just because I look like it and say "You're capable of alot of things." But never give me a chance, also I am incapable.

And I also like to be reffered to as a mutant.