Do you NOT CARE about the whole Swine Flu issue?

Page 8 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2009, 11:19 am

All that anyone can do, really, is to practice the same common sense that we do in any flu or cold season. The rest is up to fate. As for people stockpiling on flu medicine, that will not prevent them catching anything. It depends upon how healthy a person is, what shape their immune system is in, and how much they come in contact with sick people or people who have been exposed.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 May 2009, 3:50 pm

why doesnt the media talk about fire agates? and deer creek? :?

iMark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2009, 6:54 pm

the current form of swine flu seems to be deadly only in those countries where good nutrition is hard to come by and effective medical care even more rare. otherwise it is no more deadly - even less so - that the flu during the regular flu season.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 12:05 pm

Of course, not. It's already weird enough seeing kids at my school wearing surgical masks to prevent them from catching it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 11:39 pm

I felt scared when I first heard about it, because one of the possible symptoms is vomiting. But my dad calls it "the weakest flu in history", and he told me that the government likes blowing it out of proportion and making people feel scared because then they can say "Look! We're heroes because we're handling everything perfectly!". I believe my dad, so I stopped worrying. Besides, there's only 2 cases in my state. :/

Also, I played an online game at addictinggames.com called "Pandemic 2", and it really made me feel better, because it put things in perspective of how horrible a pandemic can really get versus how this pandemic is going. Here is the link in case anyone wants to play: http://www.addictinggames.com/pandemic2.html

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 12:09 am

I'm more worried because I have a bad tendency to catch colds easily. I always touch my face all the time. Guess I dont wash my hands often enough.

And of course I was planning to go to Texas real soon so I'm a bit ticked about the epidemic being there but it's not like it's any better in Indiana since they reported like up to 20 possible cases in this state now.

I wanna try and not let this thing get to me but I sure plan to be a helluva lot more cautious when I go to Texas.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2009, 12:14 am

When SARS came out a few years back, my boss said to me "When you get to be my age (mid 40s), you realise that every few years the media like to have a big health scare. A few years ago it was AIDS, then Herpes, now it's SARS."

Now I'm a little older myself, I see what she means. There was Bird Flu, now Swine Flu, and half the time these "pandemics" are not really as serious as they say. A few hundred deaths is nothing out of 6 billion people. Meanwhile Malaria kills more people than swine flu ever will, and we don't hear about that. AIDS still kills millions. The regular flu always kills the weak and elderly, always has. Swine flu is not special.

It's big news to scare the crap out of the population.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 2:02 am

hartzofspace wrote:
All that anyone can do, really, is to practice the same common sense that we do in any flu or cold season. The rest is up to fate. As for people stockpiling on flu medicine, that will not prevent them catching anything. It depends upon how healthy a person is, what shape their immune system is in, and how much they come in contact with sick people or people who have been exposed.

I don't exactly know what medicine there is for the flu. I am guessing Tylenol to control fevers and maybe some Emetrol to help control vomiting (which case, I much prefer Zofram, however you spell it). Either way, you are right that health and immune system play a major role, so if you want to avoid getting a flu (this is more toward everyone on here rather than you hartzofspace as I'm sure you already know this), it helps to start increasing your in-take of Vitamin C and Zinc, which you don't have to buy pills to get.

I personally have been meaning to get back into taking PreNatal Vitamins daily only because my kids are 1 and 2, and I stopped taking them after having my second. They say it takes 4 years for your body to replace nutrients after childbirth. I can kind of see where my body could use some help. My hair is thinner, my teeth more sensitive, finger nails weaker, dry skin like never before, and overall, I'm constantly tired. So I figure I probably need to be doing some more healthy things like drink more water and take some vitamins, and no vitamin is better than PreNatal in my mind. But, amidst all this, strange enough, my immune system is either awsome all the sudden, or I just haven't noticed when I'm sick (which I read in Woman's Day, so not sure the credibility, that the nurturing type moms often don't realize when they are sick or in need of something for themselves).

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 5:08 am

very glad to see they have addressed the issue of insult to pigs by changing the name of the virus.