Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 1:28 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Um...if you're Autistic, you can read all the books you want, but it can't transform you into a normal person; our brains are hard-wired to be different. It'd be like giving a penguin a book on flying; not gonna happen, unless he happens to be a criminal in Gotham City with a very cool umbrella! :lol:

Maybe half the problem is that people are thinking like this. ;B

millie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 2:17 pm

Quote:
wigglyspider wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
Um...if you're Autistic, you can read all the books you want, but it can't transform you into a normal person; our brains are hard-wired to be different. It'd be like giving a penguin a book on flying; not gonna happen, unless he happens to be a criminal in Gotham City with a very cool umbrella! :lol:

Maybe half the problem is that people are thinking like this. ;B

At my age, I know we learn and can employ compensatory measures that help to make it easier to be in the world and to function in it.
Of course, i feel most "normal"when I am on my own in my studio without anyone else around and with dim light and an ipod on.

But i can educate myself on ASD's and read and learn how to make things more beneficial, less stressful and more amenable.

I am having HUGE reductions in anxiety and stress levels because i am implementing strategies from my autism psych. Doesn't stop me being autistic, but it makes me feel more peaceful and happy.

for me, peaceful and happy = normal.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 5:55 pm

millie wrote:

for me, peaceful and happy = normal.

Just a thought for you Millie.

You do realise that, everyday, in every way, you ARE the only "normal" version of you that ever has, or ever will, exist?

jdn74
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2009, 12:46 am

To add to the discussion... it seems like I periodically climb to new plateaus. The trick, for me, is once on the plateau I must accept where I am at for the time being. Am I the greatest socializer in the world? Heck no! But, I'm ok with that. With each successive level I achieve, there is less stress and anxiety.

Some of my anxieties were due to my own misconceptions on how people perceived me. So it was a self created stress. Upon realizing this, I was then able to be a bit more relaxed.

I also know my limitations. I've told people for years that I can't hear voices very well when there is a lot of background noise. At the time I didn't realize it was more than likely due to AS, but no one vocalized a complaint about it. Instead, they spoke a little louder. From previous direct sales experience, I know I can knock on doors to sell a product I believe in. Believe me, I was scared to death to do this once upon a time. But after having read a few books and having a mentor, I understand A) not to take it personally and B) psychology would indicate that if they let me in I'll more than likely make a sale. I still do not like making cold calls to the point of refusing to do it for whatever reason. I suppose its because I'd rather see the person I'm talking to face to face so I can better control the situation. I can't do this on the phone. I don't catch the subtle voice variations, but I do see body language and facial expressions (after lots of training). Perhaps I could learn to catch inflection better (the next plateau).

I could go on and on about my learning experiences (I'm sure some of you have figured that out by now). Believe it or not, it all had to do with being a technician for a company I was contracted with. Although its over now, I'm glad I worked with that company as long as I did. I made a lot of money and learned a lot of people skills.

Redbus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2009, 2:21 am

I'm still trying to figure out if its worn off yet. The confidence is mostly gone, but the social skills have remained at their new level(Although I am starting to think theres been little change, just the revelation that I was going about it all wrong has improved my abilities)

As for Lyme Disease, sounds doubtful, but I'll look into it regardless.

And I've noticed something, that despite being 'mildly AS', I'm actually more sociable than about 1/4 - 1/3 the class.

Last edited by Redbus on 05 May 2009, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 5:14 am

Endorphins have the same effect on me. After playing three or four games of soccer in a row, or spending the day with the girl I like I get an unreal rush, like a drug rush. I feel an overwhelming sense of self worth and happiness, and for some reason I'm able to function very well for the next few hours. I'm still quite socially but I'm just able to pass myself :) And I suddenly get a strong desire to want to talk to people, and they actually come over me to talk (which is weird, because these are people I've never talked to :lol:)

Also, I learned something cool yesterday. If your carrying a football people are a lot more friendly to you, I went into three shops and the shopkeepers were a lot friendlier than usual, they must have assumed I was "normal" :wink: