I know I will be seen as unpopular here for saying this...

Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 4:03 am

carltcwc wrote:
There's nothing wrong with that. Theres something wrong with people wanting to "cure" other people and seeing autism as a burden. I wouldnt mind having better social skills myself. It could make me more successful. I believe autism is a genetic personality trait that can come with some neurological symptoms. It is only a disability because of other peoples negative perceptions. There are some positive aspects to autism as well and I dont think that there will ever be a true cure because you can't change someones personality. Improving your social skills will not change who you really are. I think the difficulties autism can cause is a side effect of an evolution in human conciousness. Someday there will be more people who think like us, but to not have the social challenges associated with an autistic thought process. The increase of people having autism is the worlds defence mechanism to people making dumb choices. There are some great benifits such as thinking more logically and being creative. Many people base their actions off of instant emotional gratification and end up with negative consequences. If you look at familys where there is an autism gene many people in the family think with logic and creativity but do not have social problems. There is no such thing as an NT.

Thank you for your post, I agree with nearly all of what you said.

Indeed ASDs are only considered a disability simply because we're in the minority, and that we get misinterpreted and abused constantly by the majority of people (NTs) who are intolerant of those who are different from them.

And it irritates me that NTs very often make judgements based on feelings or what looks good outside and not by logic. It pisses me off so much that the people in my country (and perhaps the US too) always seem to vote in all these idiotic, dishonest politicians into government. They often judge by appearances and not by inner substance. :evil:

I sincerely hope that the TMS Trial won't turn me into an NT. I dread to be the typical NT, a superficial person who's innately fearful and intolerant of others' differences, and isn't curious or questioning about things and life in general.

However as you said, it'd certainly be beneficial if I could read NT body language and social cues more quickly, if that was the result that the TMS could give me. It'd enable me to blend in more when I "have to", so I can avoid their abuse, and be more likely for me to maintain future employment. Mainly for me to avoid their wrath.

More importantly, I think there needs to be more awareness of ASDs in general. Among NTs, there seems to be the perception/stereotype that Autistic people are mentally ret*d and can't talk. This couldn't be further from the truth. I think the ability for many ASD people to have a special interest and to hyperfocus would give them great potential for making amazing contributions to society (especially the Sciences), if only they weren't so stigmatized and treated like crap.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:47 am

My brain is nothing to be tampered with.

Do as you wish, though.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 8:15 am

Trials and Tribulations topic (Triple T!!)

It has been one year since we have known about this. What happened to the OP?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 8:36 am

Quote:
I dread to be the typical NT, a superficial person who's innately fearful and intolerant of others' differences, and isn't curious or questioning about things and life in general.

That's a bit unfair. Most NTs are not like that.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 10:36 am

Lene wrote:
Quote:
I dread to be the typical NT, a superficial person who's innately fearful and intolerant of others' differences, and isn't curious or questioning about things and life in general.

That's a bit unfair. Most NTs are not like that.

Ok, I do know of several NTs who are nice to me. However the vast majority I've met in my life have treated me like crap, directly and indirectly.

Why do you think so many ASD people get bullied and abused so much throughout school and into the workforce by NTs, even though they (ASD people) wanted to focus on their work and never intended to do any harm to others?

I hear of so many cases where ASD people get fired and treated like crap at work because they didn't "fit in" socially, even if they could get the job done.

It's a mean joke.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 11:15 am

If this works I hope they make it illegal.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 11:21 am

Oh, I wish they had something like that here in Idaho... I would love to function on the same level as NTs.

ProfessorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2010, 11:25 am

Do what you want. Be happy. Wouldn't do it myself, I like who I am. But I hope it works for you. Caution, though, as most of this TCMS research is still in its infancy.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 11:34 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
My brain is nothing to be tampered with.

Do as you wish, though.

Ditto...would not want anyone messing with my brain. In my experience when ever I try a long term medication or anything (like having my back repaired) I turn out worse than when I started. Ive pretty much accepted the way I am but then again, I have a very understanding husband and wonderful kids and Im happy. So you should do what you think might make you happy but in my opinion you can not become un-autistic...its not a logical assumption. You can however learn social skills and even find ways to help your anxiety. No one is perfect, even if they are neurotypical or whatever you want to call them. Everyone has problems....everybody hurts..sometimes (sorry, Ive broken into an REM song) :P

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 11:48 am

You better make sure your the last in line, it will give you a chance to look at the people who went before you. This allows you to look for anything unusual that suddenly appeared in their behavior. You do not want to end up with some strange disability like peeing your pants everytime someone turns on the microwave. :wink:

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 11:54 am

sweeping generalizations are a dangerous way to go, especially when based upon assumptions that could be completely false.

you cannot always tell someone is asd by looking at them, many complain about their disability being dismissed because it isnt visible. well the same can be said for everyone else. neurological disorders arent printed on our foreheads. maybe it would be easier if they were =)

looking at me, i look pretty typical. i function ok at work and socially if i have to. i look NT, you couldnt tell by looking that i nearly had a breakdown last week because we had to buy a car, or that i take 5 minutes at the grocery store often debating between name brand and store brand items to save 15 cents, or buying my current desk involved 5 hours and 4 different stores and my family nearly writing me off in their frustration. those are some things i struggle with because of ocpd tendencies, also invisible to the world at large.

bullies are unfortunately a fact of life. it has nothing to do with their NT status. it has a lot more to do with where they are on the social ladder. its also unfortunate that asd often puts kids on the outskirts of their society, and that location is why the bullies target them. same goes for the overweight kids, nerdy kids, etc. less to do with brain function and more to do with social standing.

i do wonder sometimes whether a persons inability to read social cues contributes to their feelings of bullying. i know my oldest, not diagnosed asd but definitely not NT either, is socially awkward and can misinterpret others behaviors and language to be more antagonistic than it is meant. this has lead to negative reactions from him, increased social awkwardness, and a rejection of some friendly overtures that he misinterpreted.

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2010, 12:28 pm

Lots of responses here!

Please do remember to keep us all updated about your experience with this trial.

I hope that you are able to participate and that it all goes well for you!

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:06 pm

Good luck, I hope it goes okay and you stay safe. That would be quite interesting for someone to be able to experience the feelings of being an Aspie and then an NT as well...it might not work that way exactly though, I dunno.

I certainly wouldn't want to do it 8O That's just me though :lol:

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:34 pm

I would only be interested in something like this if it could improve the non-social aspects of cognition and memory.

My learning and memory problems are infinitely more debilitating than my social deficits.

If an improvement in my social deficits came along with it....so much the better.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:43 pm

i have heard about people who are blind their wholes lives then cured going crazy. i can't find an article to back me up on this, but it's something about not being able to make sense of the new input.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:59 pm

Provided that there aren't any dire side effects, I would totally sign up for this treatment. I'm sorry, but being able to have a girlfriend and build relationships with others trumps any sort of ~*~*AsPiE PrYdE*~*~ stuff.