I know I will be seen as unpopular here for saying this...

Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 2:16 am

Learning2Survive wrote:
It won't work - it' like Electric Shock Therapy - you might as well hit yourself on the head with a hammer.

Yeah, Penn & Teller did a whole bit on this thing, on their show "Bull$#!+"; it doesn't really work, it's just the power of persuasion, really.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 4:09 am

glider18 wrote:
As for me, I am happy with my moderate AS. If I woke up NT, I would be trying to find a cure to make me autistic again.

Hear hear!

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 6:22 am

When the brain changes structure (wiring/pathways) through experience (practicing something) it is called neuroplasticity. They used to think that the brain was hardwired in childhood and wasn't able to change, but it turns out science was wrong: the brain changes throughout one's life. If you don't use it (a skill or whatever), you loose it and something else takes over the brain real estate. For instance, if you don't practice in a foreign language, you mostly loose that language because something else (such as remembering those song lyrics you obsess about) crowds it out.

A couple of "negative" effects of neuroplasticity are oversensitivity and rigidity. New pathways form but they can enhance sensitivity (physical, sensory, or emotional) and make one's thinking more rigid and difficult to change.

If transcranial magnetic stimulation kickstarts neuroplasticity in social development, perhaps side effects might be heightened sensitivity and rigidity in social or some other area.

Z

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 7:30 am

To add,

Something similar, but more invasive, is said to be coming, and that's deep brain stimulation via the implantation of a pacemaker. A neurologist that my mother sees said it'll work wonders on the more disabling symptoms of Autism (rather than just failing to smile at someone, but the tantrums, sensory problems, repetitive behaviours, etcetera).

Daniel can't say he'd like to have that done either, but if it did help the painful symptoms..., that might be worth it, but it might not (risks and rewards).

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 9:36 am

I am skeptical as well. It sounds like power of suggestion with the magnetic therapy on the side but I wonder if the magnetic therapy will make a difference?
Besides, how much of it is programming? We start out a certain way and become stubborn after a series of lifelong reinforcements which means we might be able to change ourselves somewhat with social therapies. If you have sensory issues, not sure if it would help with those.
Not sure if it would help with issues like stimming.
I just don't buy the one stop cure-all. It prolly takes a combination of therapies to "cure" oneself. It's hard for me to imagine suddenly understanding a whole new lexicon and I'm not sure I want to anyway. It might be enough to give me a nervous breakdown. Some things you are better off being oblivious to. One's "happy little world" is underrated.
Well, anyway, the most important thing is for you to find a way to be happy in life.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 11:16 am

Crion87, to hear of such could be be seen as hope for those persons in the autisitic spectrum searching for a means to either reduce or eliminate total their AS symptoms or the whole condition in itself.. Sincerely speaking, I have no grievances for people seeking such but, I,myself have chosen to simply be the way I am from here on out yet, being an honorable I'll not be hostile towards people whom have differing views on various subjects and such..

ProfessorX

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 1:40 pm

good luck OP, I hope you don't end up in the control group!

I'd totally go for it too if I lived in Oz. let us know how it works, I might just find some big magnets around here and try that too :wink:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 2:01 pm

From the EvoVari link, what we have are apes with a magnet, trying to release a locked Windows program.

The idea behind Bio Feedback is to enhance the wave, reinforce the natural. I find this a bit crude, they test, then guess what it might be good for.

Had they taken a Science, not Psychology, they would know something of the electromagnetic field.

In a related "Tin Foil Hat" study, babies were given helmets, then shown images, and the measure of response time for electrical activity was claimed to show level of intelligence.

No one ever said why we want to know about smart babies, but research is about grants and being published, not applications.

Weak Science, bad Science Fiction, so they took a soft Science, and are trying to get in the Scientology E-Meter action.

I can do better, web site coming.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 2:13 pm

Those scientists with there stupid inventions... They all think the're heroes for inventing something that would destroy more human lifes then it helps, and mess up the future, sorry but you gotta agree, i still want the world to be normal and not everyone becomes an inhuman monster. Those darn magnets have made alot of brain machines now, just even image how our future would be like? Its not even imaginable, it'll be freaky and sick... They should start making inventions that are usefull and not that load of crap! (oh btw just saying my opinion on brainmachine, i hope you'll do well)

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 2:44 am

Crion87 wrote:
I know I will be seen as unpopular here for raising this issue, but I have recently heard of Australian trials for transcranial magnetic stimulation - from what I have heard, it can get the social functioning parts of the brain to NT-approximate levels. I myself am going to volunteer for the trials if I can be accepted, in the interests of science. If it works, I will in theory become an NT. If it doesn't work, well, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Yes, that makes me a heretic curebie in some of your eyes. I prefer to take a more open-minded view of the subject. If it can make me function better in this NT world, then so be it. Call me what you will, but if I am accepted for adult trials of the tech, I will be most grateful.

I do not care if it isn't politically correct. It's what I want. If this cure helps ease the journey of an already difficult life, so be it.

Hi Crion87, I think I'm taking part in the same trial as you are. The Trial's performed at the Alfred Hospital by Dr. Enticott right?

If you've already undergone it, may I know how you felt afterwards?

alana
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 2:50 am

that's about like being transgender and transitioning, you will always know what it is like to be one gender even if you live life as another, so it puts you in a third category.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:04 am

alana wrote:
that's about like being transgender and transitioning, you will always know what it is like to be one gender even if you live life as another, so it puts you in a third category.

So would that make me Borderline AS then? Somewhere in between?

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2010, 3:07 am

There's nothing wrong with that. Theres something wrong with people wanting to "cure" other people and seeing autism as a burden. I wouldnt mind having better social skills myself. It could make me more successful. I believe autism is a genetic personality trait that can come with some neurological symptoms. It is only a disability because of other peoples negative perceptions. There are some positive aspects to autism as well and I dont think that there will ever be a true cure because you can't change someones personality. Improving your social skills will not change who you really are. I think the difficulties autism can cause is a side effect of an evolution in human conciousness. Someday there will be more people who think like us, but to not have the social challenges associated with an autistic thought process. The increase of people having autism is the worlds defence mechanism to people making dumb choices. There are some great benifits such as thinking more logically and being creative. Many people base their actions off of instant emotional gratification and end up with negative consequences. If you look at familys where there is an autism gene many people in the family think with logic and creativity but do not have social problems. There is no such thing as an NT.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 4:03 am

carltcwc wrote:
There's nothing wrong with that. Theres something wrong with people wanting to "cure" other people and seeing autism as a burden. I wouldnt mind having better social skills myself. It could make me more successful. I believe autism is a genetic personality trait that can come with some neurological symptoms. It is only a disability because of other peoples negative perceptions. There are some positive aspects to autism as well and I dont think that there will ever be a true cure because you can't change someones personality. Improving your social skills will not change who you really are. I think the difficulties autism can cause is a side effect of an evolution in human conciousness. Someday there will be more people who think like us, but to not have the social challenges associated with an autistic thought process. The increase of people having autism is the worlds defence mechanism to people making dumb choices. There are some great benifits such as thinking more logically and being creative. Many people base their actions off of instant emotional gratification and end up with negative consequences. If you look at familys where there is an autism gene many people in the family think with logic and creativity but do not have social problems. There is no such thing as an NT.

Thank you for your post, I agree with nearly all of what you said.

Indeed ASDs are only considered a disability simply because we're in the minority, and that we get misinterpreted and abused constantly by the majority of people (NTs) who are intolerant of those who are different from them.

And it irritates me that NTs very often make judgements based on feelings or what looks good outside and not by logic. It pisses me off so much that the people in my country (and perhaps the US too) always seem to vote in all these idiotic, dishonest politicians into government. They often judge by appearances and not by inner substance. :evil:

I sincerely hope that the TMS Trial won't turn me into an NT. I dread to be the typical NT, a superficial person who's innately fearful and intolerant of others' differences, and isn't curious or questioning about things and life in general.

However as you said, it'd certainly be beneficial if I could read NT body language and social cues more quickly, if that was the result that the TMS could give me. It'd enable me to blend in more when I "have to", so I can avoid their abuse, and be more likely for me to maintain future employment. Mainly for me to avoid their wrath.

More importantly, I think there needs to be more awareness of ASDs in general. Among NTs, there seems to be the perception/stereotype that Autistic people are mentally ret*d and can't talk. This couldn't be further from the truth. I think the ability for many ASD people to have a special interest and to hyperfocus would give them great potential for making amazing contributions to society (especially the Sciences), if only they weren't so stigmatized and treated like crap.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:47 am

My brain is nothing to be tampered with.

Do as you wish, though.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 8:15 am

Trials and Tribulations topic (Triple T!!)

It has been one year since we have known about this. What happened to the OP?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo