I know I will be seen as unpopular here for saying this...

Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 12:43 am

Todesking wrote:
Delirium wrote:
Provided that there aren't any dire side effects, I would totally sign up for this treatment. I'm sorry, but being able to have a girlfriend and build relationships with others trumps any sort of ~*~*AsPiE PrYdE*~*~ stuff.

I do not understand how someone could disagree with a person wanting to be normal. I have heard of people with dwarfism, deafness, and of course people with Apsergers hating on those looking to correct their problems. I have lived for forty years on this planet, I have spent most of the time ages 5-40 feeling uncomfortable around people I do not know. I spend so much time indoors I have a vitamin D deficiency just to avoid people I do not know. People feel uncomfortable around me because of how nervous I feel around them. My molar teeth are full of cavities and I will not go to the dentist because I might have to look into his eyes and not to mention him being so close to me with his fingers in my mouth, so I deal with the pain. I have walked away from women who were coming on to me because it made me uncomfortable. I want freedom that normalcy will give me even if it causes some other problem. I see myself a prisoner to my Aspergers with my fears and mistrust keeping me imprisoned.

Because some people are content with their differences. I'm sure there are
people in this world who would be content in your shoes or mine. I'm not
going to pretend to understand why, I don't even particularily care. Everyone
has different priorities in life and we all have our own threshold of acceptibility.

I won't even suggest that someone else with any physical and/or mental
conditions should wish to be cured irrespective how horrible I would personally
find their condition. All I ask is that others at least understand why I can't accept
my own deficits and don't tell me that I should simply because others with similar,
or even worse, deficits do. I am not them...I don't care what others can and cannot
accept about themselves. I accept them to the point that i'm physically surviving
with them and haven't decided to kill myself yet. But if someone wants to judge
me for not being able to be happy with them or should I say, in spite of them,
that is their affair. Maybe if the right set of circumstances were present in their
own lives, they might not be able to be happy either.

My unique brain has caused the perfect storm in my life for forty years. It is my idiosyncratic hell and the agony of it can never be entirely expressed to another living soul.

Thus....it is pointless and presumptous for anyone else to tell they've
shared this hell with me. It is even worse when they tell me I should be able
to deal with it equinamously. I understand such people are often, if not
always, well-meaning. But it gets to the point where it seems they don't
accept the individuality of each and every person on this earth. Some
people can bear any cross with relative contentment. Others cannot
handle even life's most minor tribulations. As a person who leans
strongly towards deterministic causes for everything within the
human experience, I would be remiss if I judged those who wither
at the slightest one of life's pin-pricks. And I think very few, if any,
other humans on this earth would find my own circumstances
anything close to a pin-prick. Whether they could endure it
with more happiness than I have is uninteresting to me. It
would remain so until they can objectively prove how this
makes them the better person in any "moral" sense.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 3:27 am

Does anyone know John Elder Robison's email address?

I'd like to contact him for further info about his experiences with TMS.

Apparently he gained an extra Synesthesia ability (seeing music) 8O

I can't find it on his blog sites.

I dunno who the other participants are so I can't contact them. If Crion happened to be taking part in this same experiment, then it'll be great if he could post in this topic, coz he got invited last year.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 4:04 am

I would love to have been born NT. I think it is too late to cure me now though, lol... and i wouldnt want someone doing weird electrical things to my brain.

Taking a break.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 7:34 am

katzefrau wrote:
i have heard about people who are blind their wholes lives then cured going crazy. i can't find an article to back me up on this, but it's something about not being able to make sense of the new input.

Yup their brain doesn't know how to process visual input so all that happens is they get a huge sensory overload or can't make sense of what they see.

I don't think I want the equivalent of that done to me :eek:

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 11:38 am

oops, double post

Last edited by Kiley on 14 May 2010, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 11:47 am

It's your brain, you should be free to do what you want with it.

If social issues are keeping you from doing the things you want to do then I think it makes a lot of sense that you'd want a cure. I'm not pro or anti cure. I think each situation is unique and different. I love the quirkiness of myself and my children, but if it was keeping any of us from something we truly wanted to do I'd go for it.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2010, 12:30 pm

Personally I'd be torn because I don't know what is autism and what is me. Is there a me? Anyway, I could certainly imagine taking a cure for anxiety and then leave the rest. It's the anxiety that gets me, the rest is manageable with help and understanding from those close to me.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 12:32 pm

Todesking wrote:
Delirium wrote:
Provided that there aren't any dire side effects, I would totally sign up for this treatment. I'm sorry, but being able to have a girlfriend and build relationships with others trumps any sort of ~*~*AsPiE PrYdE*~*~ stuff.

I do not understand how someone could disagree with a person wanting to be normal. I have heard of people with dwarfism, deafness, and of course people with Apsergers hating on those looking to correct their problems. I have lived for forty years on this planet, I have spent most of the time ages 5-40 feeling uncomfortable around people I do not know. I spend so much time indoors I have a vitamin D deficiency just to avoid people I do not know. People feel uncomfortable around me because of how nervous I feel around them. My molar teeth are full of cavities and I will not go to the dentist because I might have to look into his eyes and not to mention him being so close to me with his fingers in my mouth, so I deal with the pain. I have walked away from women who were coming on to me because it made me uncomfortable. I want freedom that normalcy will give me even if it causes some other problem. I see myself a prisoner to my Aspergers with my fears and mistrust keeping me imprisoned.

Those people tend to base their entire identities around being disabled, so to them, a cure might as well be taking away their life force.

Personally, I think it's a sad way to live. If you get cured/treated, you're still going to be the same person.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 12:45 pm

OMG! I'm putting you in my enemies list!! !

I'm joking. That's interesting. I don't know if I feel intrigued or excited or sick to my stomach or frightened, but I do know that I feel curious about this. I dearly hope that there are no side effects because it would be terrible if any of the volunteers got hurt. However, the fact that they are testing this on humans suggests that it's probably safe.

Is it a cure? Well, more research will tell and despite my own personal views about autism, I completely support research.

I'm mostly intrigued, though highly doubtful about it. Good luck anyway.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 12:48 pm

That would be interesting if it did work. I do sometimes wonder how nts see things.

Removing the left side of my hypocalmus, or whatever, would have stopped my seizures, or at least really reduced them. I didn't do it because it was...I was kind of scared. However, now I wonder what it would have done to my AS. This was before I found out.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 12:52 pm

Delirium wrote:
Todesking wrote:
Delirium wrote:

Those people tend to base their entire identities around being disabled, so to them, a cure might as well be taking away their life force.

Personally, I think it's a sad way to live. If you get cured/treated, you're still going to be the same person.

It depends how you feel about having the condition. Not everyone sees it as a disability. Even the severe ones, some people have really low social skills but are naturally withdrawn types and don't feel the need to do much socializing, so for them it's kind of like being an eagle who can't swim. It's not a disability because they don't feel the need for that ability.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 12:52 pm

YOU PEOPLE!! WHY DO YOU REJECT YOURSELVES!!

Sure, Asperger's/Autism may have some parts to it that we suffer from but honestly, what you're actually doing is rejecting yourself. I have faults. Some are due to my Asperger's. Some are common to all humans but to reject myself and basically want a (metaphorical) part of my brain cut out that holds my Aspie bits, I wouldn't be me anymore and I like me.

To me, it'd be like having an arm or a leg taken off.

Even NT's have troubles in life. Our troubles may be different but they're no more painful to us than other peoples' pain is to them.

Get rid of your ASD and you'll find life is still full of problems. You may get different problems but if there's one thing that's guaranteed while you're alive, that's you'll have problems.

Better the beast you know!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

Crion87 wrote:
I know I will be seen as unpopular here for raising this issue, but I have recently heard of Australian trials for transcranial magnetic stimulation - from what I have heard, it can get the social functioning parts of the brain to NT-approximate levels. I myself am going to volunteer for the trials if I can be accepted, in the interests of science. If it works, I will in theory become an NT. If it doesn't work, well, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Yes, that makes me a heretic curebie in some of your eyes. I prefer to take a more open-minded view of the subject. If it can make me function better in this NT world, then so be it. Call me what you will, but if I am accepted for adult trials of the tech, I will be most grateful.

I do not care if it isn't politically correct. It's what I want. If this cure helps ease the journey of an already difficult life, so be it.

This has been done before, and it doesn't turn you NT, it just improves some things and might damage some others, don't think the later has been studied enough.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm

...How did this resolve ? Did it ?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 12:50 am

...If I was " cured " , what ? What would it add to my life ? Would a mother-type/game show host appear and say ,d " Now that you're a GOOD BOY , you GET..."' and I'd...What ? Have some additional , Loving , family appear I ut of nowhere ? Have at least some of the "" stuff " I've lost over the years turn up again ? Have more of a social life ? Not be homeless ?
I did seize on the " Aspie " identity , it seemed to explain some things about me...It didn't really get me immediate friends :(
I'm not , I suppose , the most immediately " Aspie "-acting person , partly because I wasn't raised with that as something I was tagged as , but sometimes people meeting me w/out that description see me as some kind of - " odd " , whatever...So ???????????

rude1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2016, 1:00 am

It's 100% the fault of NTs that people feel the need to change who they are. They use their supremacy to make us believe there is something wrong with having autism and being NT is better. I refuse to give in to that.