The lack of flame wars on WP: an Aspie trait?

Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,332
Location: Louisville, KY

12 Jan 2006, 10:51 am

The mods are discussing atm how/when to ask banned members whether they want their ban made known or not. We'll probably be coming to a conclusion within the next day or two. But that's all I can say right now because it's still policy to keep the privacy of all members and the actions taken against them.

So since we can't really give any answers regarding eamonn, we're likely not going to split the thread.


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/


SB2
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,573
Location: Southern California

12 Jan 2006, 12:44 pm

ascan wrote:
SB2 wrote:
If you weren't grovelling in your own self pity...

You'll have to explain that, I really haven't a clue what you're on about.

SB2 wrote:
The difference between us, i think, is that, in general terms i try my best to be supportive.

Well good for you, Mother Teresa! To be honest, judging by the 1200+ posts you've made since you've been here, you must have the time. (Just humour, not insults)

SB2 wrote:
See, i have to personally wonder if you knew what you were doing when you were speaking for me. I have a consistent record of setting the record straight. Buyer Beware. This is a broken record.

And in the end, i do not hold grudges. But that does not mean that if i had my way with you twice, that i harbor resentment. Nope, they are simply two seperate disagreements.

I haven't a dam* clue what you're on about. If you get as pissed by illogical statements as you claim, please extend the courtesy of using some logic when criticising others.

Just to set the record straight — as you are obviously having a hard time digesting the few short posts I do make — I have on several occasions said that the moderators/admin generally do a good job overall. I just don't take to the garrulous sycophancy some of you seem to enjoy.


Let me begin by asking a favor; and i realize you do not owe me anything.

This is a non flamming post so lets keep straight. And i am upset as you are about eamonn. Firstly because i have found that he has a sense of humor that alot of people don't seem to understand, but i appreciate it. More often than once i have shot orange juice from my nose while reading one of his witicisms.

Secondly i find it shocking since i thought that he, like myself, had only one warning to his credit. And i thought the contract stated 3 warnings and you get a 2 week cooloing off period. Unless tossing up insults to a moderator who was obviously baiting him earned him a toofer (two for the price of one).

But i digress. we were discussing how i did not understand why you were speaking for me. Grovelling and such.
On your last point, you stated that you did not know what i was talking about. I was tryimg to communicate that i may seem angry when i write but i am not. I do not care if we were to get in the ring 100 times and duke it out, i wouldn't think any less of you ar anybody for that matter. its all just another day in the soap opera of Wrong Planet. Good clean fun (just words remember) and quite entertaining.

Quote:
I just don't take to the garrulous sycophancy some of you seem to enjoy.
This i like, i must look it up later and see what the meaning is. But it makes you sound intelligent.


Other point you made about your incomprehension. I simply stated that you left me scratching my noggin. It is safe to assume that if you were going to speak for me (probably just groveling, yadda, yadda, yam.) that i have acted with consistency when this has happened in the past (not you, any person). I am not reserved that i lei it pass. On the contrary, i always set the record straight.
I do believe that the moderators do a great job of resisting the urge to discipline. Read the TOS. If they wanted to they could call just about anything whatever they please. And they do not, therefore i DO NOT consider them to be a dictatorship resigned in their lust for power. Which, according to my observations of human nature is a natural urge.
Maybe i mistook your language and you were speaking a little tongue in cheek perhaps. I thought you were being a smart alex. And i do have a reputation to protect. I will continue to speak out when ever istrongly disagree (Not talking only of you). And i do not even care what any politically correct person wants others to believe, each and every one of yoy are addicted. As evidenced by the hate proud aspies thread. How many views in a 24 hour period? Over 2000.
I am not selling just my entertainment value, i am selling a number of peoples. Eamonn, for example did an admiral job of keeping it lively (even though i easily overwhelmed him mentally) *no fair he is not here to defend himself*
The bottom line is that a 'heated debate is good for ratings. No matter how many people want to act like they are taking the high road and speak against them, it is true. And it is probably a good thing, like Grayson mentioned in this thread, that it doesn't happen all that often. Then it would be commonplace . and then i would agree, that it also would get old.
Also i have noticed alot of passive individuals, and passive individuals like drama the same as everybody else. What make a story interresting? The conflict.

You asked, i'll explain!
Grovelling in your own self pity;
I've thought it over and that wasn't a good way to put it.
What i mean to say is, how dare you say that i am grovelling because i am afraid to get spanked, or sent to my room without desert. I am not afraid to get into trouble. I do not act with bad intentions. I am me and that is what you get. It seems like the community here forgets that this is a community of individual with aspergers. By someone getting banned for words seems strange to me. Yes, this is a support forum, and its a community where people with aspergers interact with one another.
Forgive me if i am wrong, but isn't there some sort of communication roadblock associated with AS. Haven't i read about 5000 stories of people growing up in trouble since they had difficulties communicating thoughts, and maybe their abrasiveness is just a symptom. And dont (not you ascan) any person give me crap about, "oh, i am so tired of people saying mean things and hiding behind aspergers." Because that makes you a hipocrite. The bottom line is that it is true, many here are abrasive with their words, and some are not. I wouldn't judge you for stimming, nor saying 'in the end' all the time, or for your ideas that the world is only what your perceive, your doubledecker buses, that you take medications, or any other challenge that we each face on a daily bases.

Eamonn and i and many others are abrasive in our communicating skills, and i can assure you, that we get judged all the time, by members (who are in the same boat as us) IN A SUPPORT COMMUNITY. Go figure. Judge my intentions, not what aspergers makes it that i should stuggle with.

I want to see eamonn back. Or i want Galileo Ace to take a 2 week rest as well. (GA i have no negative personal feelings for you, i just believe that you were as knee deep as he was, and i think you goaded him on. Being a moderator, you have to follow the rules AND set an example of the rules)

Once again, I think that eamonn should be welcomed back, and the whole community should apologize for not being as supportive as it should be. I would like people with aspergers to stop judging people and holding their aspergers traits against them. And i want my members list #'s back. I wan't the messages to stop now or be explained.
What the crap is all this. Is this a Phuck with the sensitive minds of those with aspergers site. I thought that people with aspergers liked to have consistent routines, why all the change. Why are we being messed with?

Sorry ascan, i decided that you were right, i was wrong, i am sorry for being so insensitive, it will not happen again.


Perplexed,
SB² (not ante, nor heppeh, nor eamonn)


_________________
i will not cease in my never ending pursuit of the truth...
@ http://duncsdrivel.biz/intensity/index.php


ascan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,194
Location: Taunton/Aberdeen

12 Jan 2006, 1:45 pm

OK, SB2, that makes sense. My initial remark about your grovelling was just a bit of fun, though I'd thought you'd perhaps gone a little overboard with praising the moderators. However, some people have gone way overboard, hence my remark about sycophancy.

SB2 wrote:
I want to see eamonn back. Or i want Galileo Ace to take a 2 week rest as well. (GA i have no negative personal feelings for you, i just believe that you were as knee deep as he was, and i think you goaded him on. Being a moderator, you have to follow the rules AND set an example of the rules)

I agree. And the point you make in the last sentence is the one I was trying to make in many of my posts, a few weeks back. I thought perhaps they'd taken some of it onboard, until I read what he said to eamonn; but I kept quiet, not wishing to inflame the situation. It wasn't until I'd figured eamonn had been banned, that I decided to post something to make it public knowledge. I don't hold any bad personal feelings towards GalileoAce, either. In fact I'd have probably said similar things as him, in certain circumstances; but I'm not a moderator, and he is — he's not the first of them to do that, either. Anyway, I don't want to sound like a broken record, so we'll leave it at that.



pad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 625
Location: New Jersey

12 Jan 2006, 2:41 pm

I'm having a flame war now with an unsensible member in the toureetes thread.



hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 495
Location: Upstate NY

12 Jan 2006, 3:00 pm

pad wrote:
I'm having a flame war now with an unsensible member in the toureetes thread.


Well don't bring it over here then!

To respond, though, since it's here. I went and took a look. IMHO, step outside, enjoy the fresh air. It's one of the nicest days you'll see in January in the Northeast. The sun is actually shining and has been most of the day.

Continuing to post after the other person stops is just feeding the flames in a flame war. It's words, it's the web. Enjoy the real wonders outside your door today... take a walk! :wink: :lol:



pad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 625
Location: New Jersey

12 Jan 2006, 3:03 pm

hermit wrote:
pad wrote:
I'm having a flame war now with an unsensible member in the toureetes thread.


Well don't bring it over here then!

To respond, though, since it's here. I went and took a look. IMHO, step outside, enjoy the fresh air. It's one of the nicest days you'll see in January in the Northeast. The sun is actually shining and has been most of the day.

Continuing to post after the other person stops is just feeding the flames in a flame war. It's words, it's the web. Enjoy the real wonders outside your door today... take a walk! :wink: :lol:


Yes. I will take your advice under consideration. :lol: :wink:



larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,062
Location: Seattle, Washington

12 Jan 2006, 5:02 pm

That is absolutely not true!


_________________
Jason Larsen
[email protected]


pad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 625
Location: New Jersey

12 Jan 2006, 5:19 pm

Oh yes it is. :wink:



SB2
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,573
Location: Southern California

12 Jan 2006, 5:45 pm

Maybe it is. :wink:

and

Maybe it isn't. :wink:

who knows? 8)


_________________
i will not cease in my never ending pursuit of the truth...
@ http://duncsdrivel.biz/intensity/index.php


larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,062
Location: Seattle, Washington

12 Jan 2006, 5:48 pm

How is it true?


_________________
Jason Larsen
[email protected]


MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 751
Location: New Zealand

12 Jan 2006, 6:15 pm

Looks like Ascans just had a attempt at trying to start a flame war. I hope his attempt does not continue because it is terribliely disrespectful to this thread and the rest of WP communitiy to try and start one in this particular thread.

I my self happen to agree with the title of the thread and trying to cause trouble just for the sake of it is not apperciated.



pad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 625
Location: New Jersey

12 Jan 2006, 6:22 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
How is it true?


The Answer: Because I said so. :lol:



jimmy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 28

12 Jan 2006, 6:39 pm

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
Looks like Ascans just had a attempt at trying to start a flame war. I hope his attempt does not continue because it is terribliely disrespectful to this thread and the rest of WP communitiy to try and start one in this particular thread.

I my self happen to agree with the title of the thread and trying to cause trouble just for the sake of it is not apperciated.


Do you think your little contribution there has backed up your conviction that you dont want a flame war, hope it to end and respect the thread? To me it looked like the "flame war" as you put it had died down until you came in and stoked the fire a little there.



Laz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,540
Location: Dave's Toilet

12 Jan 2006, 8:52 pm

Actually I find international asperger boards flame fest central compared to UK based boards.

But I guess at least this board doesn't have any people grooming under age girls or putting letter bombs through peoples doors or having people stabbed at meetups (which happened on a music board I was part off) 8O



thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 497
Location: Bristol, UK

12 Jan 2006, 9:05 pm

Making behavioural comparisions on autistics-type topics -- an autistic trait?

:p



Bland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,430
Location: USA

12 Jan 2006, 9:39 pm

Pad, Who do you think you are; someone with the corner on truth!! I just read your flaming rhetoric on the tourettes thread!! Quit acting like a "doodle"!