How much of a misfit are you in WrongPlanet?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How much do you fit in here?
Zero. I'm as much of a misfit here as everywhere else 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
I feel I totally belong and completely in synch with the others here 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
On average, 50-50 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
More of a misfit than not 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
More belonging than not 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 93

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:05 pm

Do you feel that you totally fit in here with all the others or do you feel like a minority of one on WP too? Or something within the range?

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:12 pm

More belonging. I tend to feel more belonging most places online than I do in the real world, but even more so here.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:13 pm

Me too, Matt. Same thing.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:16 pm

I've read places we fit in better online because the internet filters out nearly all non-verbal communication.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:19 pm

I cannot give any consistent answer to this question or the poll.
It varies incredibly for me.
I always feel very buoyed when I relate to some idea or approach to life that someone else maybe expressing.

At other times, i have felt so far out on my own - that you all seem like run of the mill people that are of no value or importance to me.
I relate to a few people here - for all sorts of reasons - most of which have more to do with the fact their expressions somehow match various views I already hold. (true. :wink: )

Sometimes I learn something.

A while back there were some threads about WP gatherings. I viewed them with a degree of interest and "oh that would be great" attitude. Then someone started developing or mentioning the idea of a gathering in Australia -where i live - and I WAS REPULSED!. I realised getting together with people of any kind - WP'ers or a cross-section of the general population IS THE LAST THING I EVER WANT TO DO IN MY LIFE.

I like my own ways and my own company best. I relate to you people through text and the screen. I"ll leave that as the defining, consistent element in my relating with others here.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:20 pm

Matt, that'd mean I'd do as well in chat, and I don't, though...

I've been called many things, but run of the mill it's the first time. I feel wonderful about it - I'd much rather feel common than special, given the misfit status special means to me.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:24 pm

I feel I belong here because everyone else is quirky and different as well. But we are all quirky and different to different extremes from one another.

Overalll, I fell good here but I went ahead and voted 50/50.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:36 pm

I think I voted 50-50...I kill lots of threads..I have a sorta weird alternative lifestyle that might be difficult for others on the board to understand...I didn't go very far in school, I am semi-self-employed and help run a venue....

I am assessed as an aspie, which means that I presented myself to someone who specializes in the field and it seemed apparent to her that I was one...but I still have doubts..

I feel less intelligent than a lot of the aspies I have met...here and IRL...etc...

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:56 pm

While I feel like an outsider nearly everywhere I go,
I certainly do feel at least a little more included on WP.

There are two aspects to this.

One is that some people here occasionally seem to value what I have to say.

The other has to do with the motivation I feel to interact here on WP versus out in the real world. I feel safe and free to express myself here. In the real world I retreat inside myself and feel anxious and uncomfortable most of the time. On WP, I actually WANT to be social... sort of. :roll:

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:01 pm

i definitely feel free to express myself here.. & it's a good site but i voted more misfit than not.. i feel i fit in quite a bit & more than many situations but i still feel a bit out of place here.. but then NT's, aspie's, everyone's different so it's not bad.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:04 pm

This is the first place I've felt any sort of belonging. I even share my drawings and stuff here and have made acquaintances--something that's never happened before.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:08 pm

I guess I fit in here better than I did on the ADD message boards I used to post on.

Modality
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2009, 3:36 pm

I feel here as much an alien as anywhere else.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:39 pm

I feel ignored sometimes even here. Don't know if it's real or just a perception.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:40 pm

I think I fit in.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 4:08 pm

I feel pretty good here, mostly because it´s the first place where I can really write about certain things and have people actually understand me...not only that, but many of them say they feel the same way, or have similar experiences to mine. This is amazing for me! And it has changed my perspective, totally.

of course, I also tend to stick with the topics that interest me, and I tend to hang around certain forums more than others. When I go to a different section than my "usual", sometimes I feel I belong a little bit less. It depends...I guess that´s normal.