Asperger's? Only in my vocabulary for 3 days. Now what?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2004, 8:20 pm

FootInMouthATT wrote:
Wow! I just read your IQs. You are a lot like me. People hear me talk and think, "Wow! She is SMART!" Then they see me struggle to knit one stitch and they think, "WHy doesn't she get it? She ret*d?" Maybe we can "talk" or e-mail one day. Glad to have met you all.

You're not the only one... that happens a lot to me. It's a seeming sort of twisted contradiction, like one of life's cruel jokes -- I've just grown to embrace the contradictions. Why is it I can do some of the most esoteric, bizarre things with ease, yet when it comes to common sense, I scratch my head, so bemused and frustrated? Ah... therein lies my fascination with white picket fences and genetic-looking houses. I do not wish to be "normal" but I do with do be able to do a wide variety of "normal" things in my self-discovery and expansion of persona. :D

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2004, 9:39 pm

Your performance IQ is your ability to do physical things (like the little puzzles with the blocks that were probably on your IQ test were on there) and then your verbal IQ is your ability to remember words and get meaning out of stories and stuff like that . . .

I can't remember my actual scores, but mine were highly discrepant like that, too - I nearly didn't get into college because my ACT and SATs were so low due to the logical part and having to sit still and concentrate on something I didn't care about of them and same with the GRE . . .

focused
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2004, 11:21 am

It seems like everybody likes to talk about IQ and test scores, whether you think it is appropriate to state your own scores or not. I am going to start a new thread that will also discuss test scores but a more friendly sort. I think everybody will enjoy sharing their scores from this test. Since most of you reading this are Aspies or a similar sort, this may not be new territory but I think everybody will enjoy. Look for the thread in the General Discussion Forum before the day is over, July 5 2004. I think I will call the new thread Jung Typology/Myers-Briggs Personality Test.

If you are not already familar with it but enjoy taking the test and exploring the links that I will provide, please consider this a gift from me to all of you. It is something I can give in this format and over long distances. I hope everybody gets to learn something positive about themselves and others.

travelplus

11 Jul 2004, 6:44 pm

I would pickup the Tony Attwood's Asperger's Syndrome Book or any book by Michael Powers. Also read a lot on the internet. There is so much otu there. Ask a psychologist or counsleor about your dx and try to compensaste the best you can.

snowflake
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2004, 11:27 pm

My Aspie husband has a well above average I.Q. He uses it to be precise and will often interrupt people to correct them, since he always knows better. This trait has not served him well operating in a world of NT's. And by the way, I know of many NT's, including his colleagues, that probably have I.Q.'s even higher than my husband's.

Social intelligence can take you much further that I.Q. I have seen people have a converation with my husband and nod their heads in disbelife as his walks off with the last arrogant word. He'd rather be right than married or employed. The big picture with I.Q., is how you use it.

focused

18 Jul 2004, 3:06 am

I had a teacher that sounds alot like your husband. He is divorced and very unpopular at his university. I used to hate the guy! Now I love him! It took me several years but I finally figured out that despite his arrogance and one-sidedness he was actually one the most loving and giving people that I had ever met. It is too bad that his personality prevented me from realizing sooner. He intends his arrogance to be helpful and not argumentative. He wants his students to not get hung up on misconceptions and distractions. He is a bit of a method zealot, just doesn't want anybody to waste their time if he has already done so with his. I would love to know what happens when he meets a similar type.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 7:21 pm

I guess you just have to believe :?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:45 am

Kalister1 wrote:
I guess you just have to believe :?

For God's sake, do you need to still dig out old threads? :?

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2008, 7:52 am

alex wrote:
thomaszak wrote:
Quote:
My IQ is 134, which is in the 98th percentile. That means that I have extremely high intelligence which makes me eligable for high iq societies (like mensa).

A little pretentious are we? I know you aren't trying to be a show off, but this is what gives Aspergia.net such a bad rap. And you should also know that IQ scores are all relative to the test etc. But good luck with the membership fees for Mensa (should you choose to join). Obviously Mensa takes advantage of its position.

Sorry, you're right, that was very snobby and I regret that I wrote that. I am not planning on joining mensa, as I don't think IQ means anything other than how someone did on a test on one day of their life. IQ DOES NOT and NEVER HAS been a good measure of intelligence, let alone self worth. I'm sorry about that, please forgive my mistake. I know people who have lower IQs who seem a lot smarter than me. I also know a lot of idiots who have high IQs who don't have anything near the self worth of some people i know who have average IQs. These people can lack creativity that lots of people with lower iqs have plenty of. Once again, I'm very sorry.

I am having diffficutly understanding why it was somehow wrong for Alex to write about his IQ. And then why he felt he must apologise.

If he's been tested at 98th%ile then this is a fact. I simply cannot see how this is 'pretentious'. He is not pretending anything. Why is this fact not one he should talk about?

I've noticed that lots of people (NTs particularly) get jealous of others' higher IQs. That is a mystery to me: how can anyone be jealous of an attribute - like having brown eyes or being double-jointed or left-handed - that you were born with?

Although most IQ tests can be criticised etc etc, they are the closest we have to objective accuracy in terms of assessing mental acuity and ability. They are common currency in the psychology world and thus legitimated. To have a high IQ score is thus no more a reason to put someone down than if they had measurable congenital brain damage. Would Thomasz want people not to talk about their brain damage? Would it be pretentious to talk about one's negative attributes factually?

I have to say that, as a member of the 98%ile++ club, I have very often said that this attribute is indeed a disability. But people who are not so able to think through the ramifications or who are prone to jealousy are, in my experience, not at all be able to understand why.

(Apologies - didn't want to hijack the thread. I just felt this needed some serious comment and questioning).

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 12:03 pm

Just wanted to address a couple of misconceptions that have come up already.

Focused, it is considered diagnostic that an Aspie must have at least normal intelligence; high intelligence is not uncommon. I do not boast when I say that my IQ tested at 163; I merely state a fact. (Another fact is that this IQ has not served me well in daily life, but that's another subject...)

Animallover, while some "experts" (every last one of them neurotypicals, "normals") claim that we can't have deep relationships because we don't empathize properly, this is simply untrue. We don't form relationships as easily as normals, true; however, when we do form strong attachments, they run quite deep, and are not easily broken. I'm 44, and have been involved in a deep, loving relationship with a beautiful woman for eleven years now. :)