Is it normal for aspies to be paranoid?

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Manguy89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

Hey guys the reason I'm asking is in my family my and my younger brother have aspergers. Our dad can diffinatly get diagnosed because he's stranger then us. But anyway I'mvery paranoid. I some days feel like everyone is staring wig evil intent hat everyone is plotting againsts me. I also have a hard time understanding spoken language which causes me to assume they are talking I'll behind my back or worse. But my brother is complete opposite he seems to think e everyone is a friend. I had to sit him Dow. One day after I found out his so called friends were spitting on him... Kids suck and I was tourmented as a child as is my brother. Only difference is I've taken a semi psychotic stance on himanities intents while my brother is way to trusting

So is my paranoia normal? When it's bad I don't even trust my parents.

Last edited by Manguy89 on 28 Aug 2011, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoodedShadow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

I have some sort of paranoia but its not that bad.
I can't really explain what kind of paranoia I have..

I would say I have semi-mild or mild paranoia.

Email address: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhid ... 0lSIA-uw==

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

I've been told I'm paranoid but I don't really believe it. I even wonder if I am being paranoid or not when I read stuff online or make assumptions. I don't know if things are directed at me or if I am being made fun of or not or bullied but I am afraid if I think that is happening, then I am being paranoid and it's all in my head. So I don't let myself be paranoid but then I don't know if I am being made fun of or not because I brush it off as them being silly.

Manguy89

28 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

I've tried to get in the habit of running my thoughts by people that understand me before I react. Such as I can't tell if work is being unfair and targeting me when they do things so before I stand up for myself I'll ask the fiancé or mom for advice. If it wasn't for my social translators I would make a big ass of myself sometimes... I've lost jobs and friends because of it.

Manguy89

28 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

I've tried to get in the habit of running my thoughts by people that understand me before I react. Such as I can't tell if work is being unfair and targeting me when they do things so before I stand up for myself I'll ask the fiancé or mom for advice. If it wasn't for my social translators I would make a big ass of myself sometimes... I've lost jobs and friends because of it.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

It makes sense for aspies to be slightly more paranoid than usual. Anyone who is different is right to be paranoid. Being different means being not understood, being not understood means even people who want to help you may hurt you.

To make it worse, a lot of NTs are very negative: their sense of humor is based on making fun of each other, and they expect to get the same level of attack in return. They enjoy the verbal sparring. They also enjoy socializing. When the people at work get joking and planning nights out I feel under attack: anything I say will single me out as being a problem, not a team player, etc. Personally I think they are cruel and shallow, but that doesn't matter - they form the majority and I don't.

Human nature is to attack. Being a minority or not understood means it is right to be paranoid. Look at the recent riots in Britain, or racism across the world, or the history of conquest, or the Milgram experiments, or how business works: the strong live off the weak. Most people will be cruel (while believing they are moral) if they think they can get away with it.

And of course it works the other way - NT feel uncomfortable around aspies. They would feel just as paranoid if they were the minority, but they're not.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

I was born paranoid, it took about 20 years to get over it.

although, i'm more paranoid today than 10 years ago, but not of individuals, so i don't come off as paranoid.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

I do get paranoid but it's BECAUSE I'm too trusting of people.

I've never been taken advantage of TERRIBLY, but people often have had intentions that I wasn't aware of, not always bad, but, just very DIFFERENT than what I thought.

This tells me that I don't always read people well.

Because of this, I'm very suspicious of everyone's intentions, but it's not something that really gets out of control.

I just choose to give people the benefit of the doubt while still trying to have some awareness of the situation, paying close attention to how they act, trying to pick up on subtle cues, etc.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:28 pm

I tend to be very paranoid, especially about my friends. I've had more than enough moments where I've been naive about other people or when other people treated me badly. When I start caring about people, I'm always afraid that they will pull away. So I get paranoid about their intentions, their actions, their every move.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

Well I have been far too trusting in the past but still paranoid about some things, now I honestly cannot say who I actually trust. I seem to have parnoid thoughts about everyone...sometimes just minor things like 'what if they think badly of me and aren't being honest because they don't want to be mean.' Or worse things sometimes. Like 'what if my sister and my mom are plotting to have me institutionalized out of concern for my mental state with out telling me and are just faking that things are fine so I don't suspect it.' that can be particularly anxiety invoking and usually causes me to have an argument with one or both of them because they wonder why I am being pessemistic and irrtable and I end up saying the wrong thing or whatever.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

I tend to be a little paranoid, especially about social interactions because I still have trouble accurately reading situations. I'll take jokes literally or not understand that I'm being made fun of.

Example: I recently told a coworker about my general nervousness about dented cans and botulism. A couple of days afterward she held up a badly dented can of coke and asked me if I thought it was okay to drink. I thought she was making fun of me so I told her that I thought it was fine but that she should probably heat it to 150degrees just to be safe.
She just sat there blinking at me.
Turns out, she wasn't making fun of me but it did make her laugh.

Also, sometimes I think more people than normal are looking at me on the street and it makes me worry that I've forgotten a critical article of clothing or there's something on my face. In reality it's probably just because I have boobs.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

I am very, very, very paranoid. In fact, it's took over my life before I could stop it, and it's made me leave my volunteer job because I had the impression that people there were laughing at me for just saying a few strange things sometimes. I've even experienced people in the street laughing at me - and actually making it obvious to me that they're laughing, and all the while I am doing my best to go out looking nice and acting normal like anybody else. I don't even hold an odd gait anymore - I've worked on that. To everybody, I am just a stranger, just like they are to me (unless I know someone). As long as I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary to attract other people's attention, I can't see anything to laugh about. People who target just me to laugh at must be very poor, sad people, because who would choose to laugh at a 21-year-old female who is just standing there minding my own business and not even looking at them?

All of these little things build up paranoia, and puts me off meeting new people in case there is something about me that I can't see. If other people would just grow up and stop giggling at me and just giggle at somebody who is worth giggling at, then I might feel more better about myself.

aliensyndrome
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

I've grown paranoid from people trying to take advantage of me in various ways ever since I can remember. It's not much fun.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

I am very paranoid, i'm getting better the older I get, but I still always think that there is some conspriacy against me!

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

My first instinct is to be trusting, then I realize I've been foolish and become paranoid.

Oh, and...

It's not paranoia when they're really out to get you. :D

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

Lucywlf wrote:
My first instinct is to be trusting, then I realize I've been foolish and become paranoid.

Oh, and...

It's not paranoia when they're really out to get you. :D

Phew, so that means that I'm not crazy :D