Have You Been In Seclusion Or Restraint?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Have You Been In Seclusion Or Restraint?
Poll ended at 16 Feb 2012, 5:20 pm
I have been in seclusion (lock in room or closet for misbehaving in school) 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
I was restraint (act of bound to chair or object for misbehaving in school) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I was in seclusion and restraint in school. 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Neither. I am interested in the poll result also. 65%  65%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 69

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 12:08 am

I was once in seclusion and in four point restraints in a hospital, but not at school, during a meltdown episode. I was 26 at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 10:55 am

Put in there for days? Well that's not very productive. They need to find better discipline than that.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2009, 7:55 pm

I've been to the P.E.S.S. unit for making a comment saying I wanted to kill myself.

www.stewartmango.com

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 8:08 pm

I was put in the "quiet room" several times when I was put in the mental hospital at nine. I threw the timer in an attempt to brake it and I think I did.:twisted: I can't remember what it was for. And when I was 16, I was put in the "quiet room" at the mental hospital because I refused to go to the "group therapy". It seriously weirded them out when they found out I perfered to be alone all the time. Stupid NT's. They said the doctor I had was an AS specleisty but I think they lied.

I can't remember being restrained at school but an orderly practicaly broke my neck while forcing me to go to the quiet room. I tried to kick him in the croch :twisted: but they grabbed my legs. My neighbor teaches an Issralli self defense course and I'm going to take it as soon as I can talk my parents into letting me.

I got in school suspension as soon as they found out I was acting up TO get suspended and stay at home but I enjoyed the in school suspension too. I brought my colored pencils and was allowed to color ALL day. My teacher also had a wildlife magazine brought in with a note to find an animal in the magazine and write three facts about it as my assignment. I loved giving facts about ANY animal. I think I chose a polar bear. It was just me and a teacher's assistant babysitting me who would only ask me things such as if I needed to use the restroom or wanted some lunch but basicaly left me alone to color. She said I was quite well behaved and no trouble at all. Some punishment. They sent me back to my regualr classroom at the end of the day and I started to act up again.

A detention would have been too tramatic for me and I probably would have had a panick attack that took years to recover from. I had a severe phobia of being seperated from my parents and and it took YEARS to learn to be away from my mom and even after that I could only tolerate being away for only seven hours if I spent only fifteen minutes late I would have a panick attack. I had a phobia of being left somewhere against my will (probably why I still have PTSD from being in the mental hospital)

mistunderstood
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2009, 10:18 pm

When I was in school it was a closet. I had to pray for my sins in order for me to get out. I refused and spent all day there. Scared they would not let me out to go home.
Then I have been in 4 point restraint in a psyc hospital for trying to leave with my friend when she went home. I spent 4 days in there because I flipped out even more than what I started out as. I thought I was back in school and few other bad places. :cry:

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:49 pm

For "misbehaving" I was sent into a room alone at one school. They defined misbehaving as "odd behavior" and "being rude" when I didn't respond so they told my mother my behavior was so bad they had to make me stay in another room. Never thought of it as seclusion though the door was shut it was never locked. My mother went to the school and pulled me out of school all together though so it didn't last long.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 11:02 pm

Xelebes wrote:
The reason why it was so bad was that for many days I was put into seclusion for days on end - an in-school suspension they termed it. I didn't mind it when I was put there for an hour or two, it was the two-five day long excursions inside them that really bothers me.

Oh, well yeah, that's just abuse of the system. Any form of discipline can be taken too far. But used responsibly, I don't see anything wrong with it either.

I mean, what are the poor teachers supposed to do when there are like 5 kids freaking the hell out and not enough teachers to calm them down? That was sometimes the case when I was in private school. We were put in the room (not together, FYI, although I don't think we would have hurt each other) to calm down, but once they knew we weren't going to run away or keep acting up, we got let out. It was never more than a couple hours, even for the worst kids.
And there was a secondary room that was not locked and had an attendant sitting at a desk, which is where you got put if you weren't really out of control.

I never thought much of it. It seemed like a reasonable system.

Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 11:15 pm

If the teachers did anything like that to me they would've never heard the end of it - from my parents at least, because I sure as hell know I wouldn't be going to that school.

That kind of s**t is for mental hospitals.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 10:19 pm

yes many times :roll: i get restrained mostly when i have meltdown and bang my head at wall >.> usually they just take me to my room tell me to go laying in bed and aply restraints

Last edited by Followthereaper90 on 04 Oct 2009, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 10:29 pm

My parents used both strategies. As I was home-schooled a lot of the time, I guess I'm justified in saying they happened in "school"... I remember coming away with lots of bruises when my stepfather would pin me down because I was having a tantrum. It only made it worse, and I don't think I calmed down until I was so exhausted I could no longer struggle. Worst feeling in the world to have touch forced on you when you're already so overloaded you just want to crawl into a corner and curl up and not even look at another human being.

I never got restraints at the mental hospital; other people got them but not me. Very nearly did, but they opted for Haldol instead, which is more like restraints for your brain than anything else.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2009, 10:40 pm

I voted I was in seclusion and restraint in school. Being secluded into rooms or physically restrained happened a lot to me in primary school. I didn't like physical contact or being trapped and usually had melt downs and got aggressive (throwing chairs and desk, etc). As for the isolation rooms, I enjoyed going there of my own free will but didn't like being forced to go their (often for no particular reason).

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 3:02 am

886 wrote:
If the teachers did anything like that to me they would've never heard the end of it - from my parents at least, because I sure as hell know I wouldn't be going to that school.

If anyone did anything like that to me. I think he wouldn't be able to see the sun again the next day.

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2009, 6:51 am

im VERY suprised when you mentioned seclusion in SCHOOLS!! !! ! wow what a punishment for disabled people! thats cruel, depend on the condition of the disability though

well NO, i havent been in a school that has had seclusion, BUT YES i have been in a mental health facilities seclusion! it is creepy, first their is isolation for the newcomers who be assessed to see if they can go in general population, or if they were a serious case they stayed in isolation, with little contact to people besides other patients who have done bad or SOME staff, like 1 guy or girl

but just to make it clear, i was NOT a serious case, i done some seriously bad things that got me put into isolation back and forth like a yo yo, and on one occcasion i stuffed up in isolation so they put me in seclusion, with doors locked, i didnt go nutters cos i was too busy hallucinating (no not from drugs prolly psychosis, at the time i thought the staff gave me LSD/ACID) in there, i ended up passing out

aqueduct58
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2009, 5:49 pm

I have been in seclusion and restraint at both a private and state hospital. It wasn't distressing at all. The staff were constantly monitoring my safety and comfort, and there goal was to get me to the point where I was no longer in immediate need of seclusion or restraint. They also always tried to de- escalate me first, and there was always a mandatory post restraint meeting to discuss how it could be avoided in the future. If staff are properly trained and professional, emergency restraint and seclusion can be executed in a way that causes almost no stress to the patient.
I guess I have been fortunate to be in institutions that comply with the very strict government standards. Sorry that so many of you have had bad experiences.

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2009, 6:07 pm

I was locked in room, closet or a chair for misbehaving in school. for throwing chairs, kids, desk, and teachers etc)

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 11:14 pm

aqueduct58 wrote:
I have been in seclusion and restraint at both a private and state hospital. It wasn't distressing at all. The staff were constantly monitoring my safety and comfort, and there goal was to get me to the point where I was no longer in immediate need of seclusion or restraint. They also always tried to de- escalate me first, and there was always a mandatory post restraint meeting to discuss how it could be avoided in the future. If staff are properly trained and professional, emergency restraint and seclusion can be executed in a way that causes almost no stress to the patient.
I guess I have been fortunate to be in institutions that comply with the very strict government standards. Sorry that so many of you have had bad experiences.
at least some aply rules then most seem to think u cant report em as long u are there ,but once they let u go :twisted: