Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:13 am

Seems a lot of people talk to themselves.

I don't and I don't think I can. Words are hard to come up with for me so I keep them for times when I have to talk (with other people). I'll talk to my cats though.

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:40 am

I love to talk to myself and do it a lot. Usually, I am imagining I am talking to another person who is present, often somebody I know in real life, but I am aware that they aren't really there. I am currently waiting for my family to leave so that I can get back to the long conversation I was having with myself about whether or not I'm autistic.

In college, I would pretend I was on the phone so that I could talk to myself around other people. I still try to pass it off as if I have a hard-to-see bluetooth earpiece when people catch me.

I would love to know how much this is an autistic trait or if NTs (or other NDs) do this too.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

Lady Strange
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2021, 7:48 am

Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. I've never known anyone else (in real life) who talks to themselves as much as i do. It really helps to talk out feelings or situations, kind of like pre planning what I'm going to say.

Figured out in summer of 2020 about 99 percent sure that I have autism (with lots of research and help of my husband and doctor). Cannot get official diagnosis yet (can't find anyone to diagnose adults).

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2021, 7:57 am

Well, it makes for intelligent conversation -- considering one is locked in a world of neurotypicals :D

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 5:20 pm

Yes, I tend to do this often only whenever I'm alone as, I'd not want to be seen as showing signs of schizophrenia or the like..

Nothing changes, days go by

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 8:13 am

When I am at the bus stop I pace and talk to myself. That is when I get my best thinking done. It helps me to vocalize my thoughts.