Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 3:01 pm

HighLlama wrote:
This is basically how I've heard advocates of social capital explain it. However, as you get into below, I think the advocates ignore the reality of prejudice and favoritism. Interesting that you used the word "yahoo," as Jonathan Swift illustrated the relationship between prejudice and self-image powerfully.

Yeah, yahoo is something like a person who seems to run roughshod over social rules and people see them as barbarians in the clothing of a civilized person.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 4:57 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
This is basically how I've heard advocates of social capital explain it. However, as you get into below, I think the advocates ignore the reality of prejudice and favoritism. Interesting that you used the word "yahoo," as Jonathan Swift illustrated the relationship between prejudice and self-image powerfully.

Yeah, yahoo is something like a person who seems to run roughshod over social rules and people see them as barbarians in the clothing of a civilized person.

Sorry for not being clearer: the word "yahoo" comes from Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. Gulliver finds the Yahoos primitive and disgusting. One of the female Yahoos acts affectionately toward him, and he's horrified to realize they think he's one of them, since Gulliver considers himself a refined man of science. I was only trying to say that social capital doesn't work in real life because there will always be people who ostracize you based on their vanity. It's a wholly rational system, but people aren't wholly rational.