Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

[email protected]
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2021, 4:17 pm

I took a couple of tests and the results were very pointed. I'm currently waiting for a full neuropsychology workup.

In the meantime I'm looking for ways the frame how to interact with the world.

Any videos or articles that can explain me to me?

Joe

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 10:49 pm

I read Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome and my life just made more sense and I became at peace with it. Everything just started coming together over time after that.

It's a 300-something page book but if you want to check it out first there's a PDF of it online floating around.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 1:29 am

I quite like https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +Hendrickx
She is a psychiatrist with autism and she is/was a standup comedian.

/Mats

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2021, 12:14 am

mohsart wrote:
I quite like https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +Hendrickx
She is a psychiatrist with autism and she is/was a standup comedian.

/Mats

Thanks for sharing this link!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 6:41 am

now you have a new way of seeing the past, once you understand the struggles and how autism worked to make those painful things happen, you have the opportunity to choose new ways of doing things. I have been able to look at my life and find peace now I understand how autism worked all those years without anybody knowing or understanding. I have been able to forgive myself and others, nobody knew!
So where to go from there?
I have realized I was so busy trying to please others and keep out of trouble, avoid making others angry, etc, that I really did not understand much about myself. I have turned myself inside out now, learning what is hardest for me and changing the way I do things or the thinks I choose to do. I know how to protect myself from being physically and emotionally overloaded and how to make healthier choices when deciding if or when I will or won't do anything.

Life now at this old age (almost 70) is better than it ever has been in the past. It takes a lot of time to sort it out. Start with your worst struggles today. What is hardest for you, and why? How can you change the worst thing you experience now to something that is endurable or substitute another thing so that you don't have to endure, but can have peace or success without the struggle? Example for me was "going shopping". Something our daughter loves, but which was sensory overload hell for me. Now I shop online. If I go out with my daughter it is to flea markets, garage sales, and resale shops and not giant downtown shopping complexes. I found a way to make it easier for me to do things with her without the problems and anxiety I experienced from going to malls and huge downtown shopping areas in urban settings. Your struggle could be anything. If you absolutely hate cleaning the toilet, trade chores with somebody who doesn't hate it but hates something else that you don't mind so much. If you hate riding in the car, find ways to make it easier or better... use dark glasses, headphones, ear plugs, tranquilizers, sit in a different place in the car, etc etc. You can make adjustments to almost any experience or can change activities and substitute something else to make life easier and better. One thing at a time, think it through, try the ideas for changes one at a time to see if it works for you. Life is slowly getting much better. I wish I knew then ( in my youth) what I know now.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 8:29 pm

While learning to understand yourself and your life better, beware of falling in the disability trap - ASD for example highly correlates with depression, but that doesn't mean you have to be, or that seeking help won't work anyway or something like that.
Don't take it as an excuse to not socialize at all, just because you're not good at it or need time to techarge afterwards. You also need some social skills to navigate life, and so on...