When is it too late to "make something" of yourself?

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 7:58 pm

Hmm. I always knew what I wwnted to do, work-wise. I studied it, got a fancy degree and loved doing it - until I started working in the industry. Technically I was doing much of the same I had done before, but now I was doing it for advertisements, and one component was lacking from any if the things I was doing as a student: I wasn't trying out new and challenging things, I was just repeating what I had done before.
So I kinda dropped out of the industry and worked odd jobs as a freelancer.
And through some circumstances a year back I'm now doing something that's only vaguely related to what I had done before, but it's new and difficult and I'm enjoying it, though I'm not nearly as good at it as I was previously.

But I think the important bit is that I'm finally, after ten years of holding on to a career path I was bored with, not feeling awful at the end of the day.
Let's see how long that lasts.

ClownyClownClown
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2021, 3:20 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Some people only 'make something of themselves' after their life has ended. Image

I aspire to someday be excellent compost.

Hahaha brilliant

WhatTheHey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2021, 11:29 pm

In terms of "career", I "made something" of myself and hit my peak a few decades back. So I "climbed", hit the peak (meaning I was making big money and doing good work), and have since "sunk" (meaning, I made crap money and work crap jobs - when I can get them).

So in this case, I did "make something" of myself. But now I have to ask, "Was that all I was supposed to do?" I think the big thing is what with age comes the answer, "That was good, but now there's something else on a whole different plane, as well".