SSI & habbitat for humanity? has anyone here done it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

OnAnIslandInTheSun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2021, 9:47 pm

I'm a 25 year old Autistic guy living in Florida who's on SSI/disability ($800 a month). I really love the area in Florida that im living in now. my parents got me an apartment here, which im also help paying for, but i want to live here permanently. I was thinking of getting a house though habbitat for humanitity.

I know that i'd have to pay for the house and put "50 hours of sweat work" into the house also, but i'm wondering if anyone here has ever managed to get a house though habbitat for humanitity while only recieving SSI/disability.

I was worried that i might not qualify for it because i might not be making enough money.

But anyway, are there any people here on SSI/disability who managed to buy/own a house, and if so, how did you do it? what program did you use for it?

please help.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:44 am

OnAnIslandInTheSun wrote:
I'm a 25 year old Autistic guy living in Florida who's on SSI/disability ($800 a month). I really love the area in Florida that im living in now. my parents got me an apartment here, which im also help paying for, but i want to live here permanently. I was thinking of getting a house though habbitat for humanitity.

I know that i'd have to pay for the house and put "50 hours of sweat work" into the house also, but i'm wondering if anyone here has ever managed to get a house though habbitat for humanitity while only recieving SSI/disability.

I was worried that i might not qualify for it because i might not be making enough money.

But anyway, are there any people here on SSI/disability who managed to buy/own a house, and if so, how did you do it? what program did you use for it?

please help.

Well...SSI limits the amount of money you can make from wage income so that could be a problem.However I heard they dont limit the amount for income from business I dont think.I would look into having your parents make a trust for you so can you can inherit and occupy property at some point without legally owning it.Also you could have them own the house.Or section 8 maybe.You could maybe call into the Graham Stephan Show or the Ice Coffee Hour or Dave Ramsey or talk to MeetKevin to see if they know more.But they would only give you very general advice.You could maybe get with a non-profit and talk to a lawyer to help with more specialized advice.