Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Oct 2021, 10:52 pm

So, I had talked to my mom earlier about wanting to get my own apartment just to have that space and independence and she told me she was worried about me living on my own. Is it possible for me to live on my own safely so she won't be worried?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 1:24 pm

Maybe she has reason to be worried. Living on your own is a big responsibility. If you want to live on your own, and think you're fully capable of that, then that's your decision to make, and parents should respect that. And if she doesn't, then just tell her Christine is a big girl now, and Christine wants to do big girl things.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 4:39 pm

christinejarvis21 wrote:
So, I had talked to my mom earlier about wanting to get my own apartment just to have that space and independence and she told me she was worried about me living on my own. Is it possible for me to live on my own safely so she won't be worried?

We simply don't know enough about you to say. I want to tell you that if you think you can live on your own, then you can, but the truth is that some people can't and sometimes we need other people's input when we assess what we're capable of.

All I can say is, if you do need other people to help you assess your ability to live alone, don't rely on just one other person. Your mother may not be able to make an impartial assessment either. Is there a healthcare professional you could discuss this with?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm

christinejarvis21 wrote:

What about a trial period? You could live on your own for a few months with her checking in on you. If you can't live on your own safely, she'll be there to help.

Also, you can fill out the Casey Life Skills assessment to get an idea of what independent living skills you've mastered or are lacking. I've used that to guide my own skill development.