Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2022, 10:42 pm

I have a question. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how to put it into words. I am going to see a Speech Language Pathologist tomorrow. It’s my first appointment with an SLP and appointments with her figure to be a weekly thing. Whenever I head out these days, especially if I’m going to meet someone for the first time, I try to prepare myself. These days, having committed to trying not to mask, I think toward triggers I might run into, what my habitual response is – and finding an alternative. While I was doing that, I was going through my closet looking for a very specific shirt for tomorrow. I stopped suddenly.

I’m not looking for my favorite shirt or one that matches the pants I’ll be wearing tomorrow. Nope; I’m searching for the short witty saying on it that women absolutely adore. That, and they adore me for wearing it. You only have one shot at a first impression. When people like you - things will go better. I suppose my question is this: Is this a form of masking or is this just me being manipulative?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 10:54 pm

I don't see it as either one.

Wearing a shirt that gives you a bit of confidence is no different than washing your hair, brushing your teeth, or choosing any other shirt that you enjoy. None of that is masking or manipulation imo. I think it's just social preparedness.

I had Speech Pathology appointments online because of Covid. Even then I chose to wear what felt best. I don't worry about what the other person thinks, but it seems like most people do. Chances are your therapist dresses to present a certain image for all of her clients, as well.

I'm curious though - what do they adore about a shirt?

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2022, 10:32 am

Hi and thank you for weighing in. Here's the shirt: https://www.freetobekids.com/collection ... seball-tee

arianekh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2022, 5:58 am

I'd vote masking! When I do this, I'm practically acting. Putting on a costume and behaving in a way that a character in that costume would behave. I view each of my outfit changes as a different character.

https://psychology-tools.com/