Autistics Have High Rates of Chronic Health Issues

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:20 pm

You're your own unique person, Joe.

Just because you're diagnosed with autism----doesn't mean you will necessarily have ANY physical problem.

My advice is to take this on an individual basis, rather than put yourself in a group, and assume you might have some affliction that other autistic people have.

Not all autistic people have afflictions associated with autism. And, certainly, not all people with afflictions associated with autism are autistic.

Just like in dating, it's very bad for people to generalize based upon studies, based upon a composite created by those studies.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:36 pm

I know it can certainly be frustrating at times. And I’m sorry for that.

I am fortunate that I haven't experienced very many health problems in my adulthood----though I was a pretty sickly child, especially when I was young.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 6:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're your own unique person, Joe.

Just because you're diagnosed with autism----doesn't mean you will necessarily have ANY physical problem.

My advice is to take this on an individual basis, rather than put yourself in a group, and assume you might have some affliction that other autistic people have.

Not all autistic people have afflictions associated with autism. And, certainly, not all people with afflictions associated with autism are autistic.

Just like in dating, it's very bad for people to generalize based upon studies, based upon a composite created by those studies.

Thanks for the reassurance.
It's because I already feel cursed living with autism, then seeing articles like this constantly being shared on an autism site claiming that we're ill just makes me want to put a gun to my head.

The only health issues I had growing up was ear problems, which is common in children anyway. But I suffered quite bad and even went temporarily deaf with glue ear when I was 4. The problem has gone to my sinuses as an adult, although my ears can be sensitive to both noise and water.

Otherwise, apart from the frequent colds and stomach bugs all children pick up, I was a healthy child and there was never any concerns of my physical state. I was always average height and I hit puberty at the average age (wasn't too early or too late).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 6:09 am

I was sort of a sickly child. I vomited a lot.

Yet….as I age, I get less colds. And I’m healthier than ever. Even my last COVID was very mild.

It’s important to keep track of your health.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 6:26 am

I fit into this category, I’ve lived with chronic illness for 28 years.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 6:35 am

I have some sort of eosinophilic disease wrong w/ at least most my digestive tract (esophagus, stomach + small intestine, maybe colon) and now am wondering if I also have eosinophilic asthma. I've had both of these problems since I was an infant/toddler. Living with a chronic health issue, especially from a young age, sucks.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 5:30 pm

On diet: Natural foods (minus additives) have been helpful.

Avoiding fast-foods, and ready made (mass-produced) meals alone are proving to be wise choices.

Basically my health is very-good.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 10:06 pm

Trachea wrote:
Yeah I've tried for 20 years to get help with my issues. I have not gotten any help so I'm not going to ever go again, it's more dangerous for me to go then not to because of the frustration of being dismissed, misbelieved, insulted, abused and mistreated and the stress and then having to pay for appointments when I can't go... It's just very likely to less importantly give me credit problems and more importantly a dangerous meltdown that can lead to suicidal thoughts. Because I have no help and more danger from healthcare then I will also not get help with my mental health and it is very scary to be on your own or dependent on the few friends. I have experienced for myself bad situations in mental healthcare and heard from others so many awful situations where autistic people come for help and then are trapped in mental institutions and basically tortured; unable to leave because they can't mask enough and unable to mask because their surroundings are giving them meltdowns. The amount of abuse in the health industry to autistic people is appalling. It is an awful spiral in any way you look at it. Unless a limb falls off I won't go anymore. I believe doctors are the same to autistic people as police are to black people and in whatever situation its safer for me to stay as far away from doctors as I can.

Unfortunately it is true - doctors do treat Autistic individuals poorly & Autistic individuals are sometimes treat like animals in psychiatric facilities. Far from being safe in those places, we are safer in the community usually, I think, away from bright hospital lights and such.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 2:47 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I have some sort of eosinophilic disease wrong w/ at least most my digestive tract (esophagus, stomach + small intestine, maybe colon) and now am wondering if I also have eosinophilic asthma. I've had both of these problems since I was an infant/toddler. Living with a chronic health issue, especially from a young age, sucks.

Might sound strange but i have to wonder if you use any vitamin and. Mineral type supplements regularily . Or semi regularily .
It’s a long shoot but if you have any Calcium magnesium Zinc or multi mineral supplements it may help if taken with a
B complex supplement . Lately been learning long term side effects of extended nutrient deficiencies . And long term chronic illness . Just wished to offer that thoughts .[ No offence intended.] Learned this stuff from a older Emergency room Doctor . Who is in private practice now, and getting ready to retire.
This doctor has helped me tremendously using his odd techniques .And he has no concerns over people previous diagnosis’s

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 2:57 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Trachea wrote:
Yeah I've tried for 20 years to get help with my issues. I have not gotten any help so I'm not going to ever go again, it's more dangerous for me to go then not to because of the frustration of being dismissed, misbelieved, insulted, abused and mistreated and the stress and then having to pay for appointments when I can't go... It's just very likely to less importantly give me credit problems and more importantly a dangerous meltdown that can lead to suicidal thoughts. Because I have no help and more danger from healthcare then I will also not get help with my mental health and it is very scary to be on your own or dependent on the few friends. I have experienced for myself bad situations in mental healthcare and heard from others so many awful situations where autistic people come for help and then are trapped in mental institutions and basically tortured; unable to leave because they can't mask enough and unable to mask because their surroundings are giving them meltdowns. The amount of abuse in the health industry to autistic people is appalling. It is an awful spiral in any way you look at it. Unless a limb falls off I won't go anymore. I believe doctors are the same to autistic people as police are to black people and in whatever situation its safer for me to stay as far away from doctors as I can.

Unfortunately it is true - doctors do treat Autistic individuals poorly & Autistic individuals are sometimes treat like animals in psychiatric facilities. Far from being safe in those places, we are safer in the community usually, I think, away from bright hospital lights and such.

Can agree with both of the above posts….. ! Unfortunately . :x

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 6:56 pm

Most of my chronic issues are inherited.
The only difference is that most relatives (and the people who has the same conditions) can cope with it and would communicate reasonably about that.

I don't.
And instead is overshadowed by the diagnosis of autism. Blaming it's because of autism. :roll:
Clueless that said issues, many could've been avoided or is treatable, is making the autism worse -- not really the other way around in my case.

I was that kid who doesn't get sick easily.
Or at least I tried to think of myself that way.

Instead it was just another one of those things I had trained to ignore because "we couldn't afford it".

And why I hate my body. I'm not even medically fragile -- just stupid sensitive and no indications to show it except generalized irritability and apparent sudden unreliability.

I'm already old enough to seek answers.
Yet my worry lies with ineffective communication -- which I'm not getting better with despite the practice, and if I could even afford any consultations and if the answers I get helps at all.

I'm not dying, losing mobility or losing something important.
Just very inconvenienced, just like another type of noise to ignore -- and becoming more of an inconvenience as a person because there's no help.

But whatever this was, it doesn't get better. I just wouldn't be surprised if I drop dead or lost something all the sudden. I'm not even 30 yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 4:41 am

Lolololzzz….. And I am sick and tired of it … lolz. Truthfully ! 8O :(

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2023, 7:10 pm

Well, I have obstructive sleep apnea (breathing issue), central apnea, nacolepsy, peripheral neuropathy and IBS (neurological issues), as well as compromised immune system, so I certainly fit the assertion of the article above.

Fortunately, I haven't had issues with healthcare.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 7:16 pm

Campingbare wrote:
Well, I have obstructive sleep apnea (breathing issue), central apnea, nacolepsy, peripheral neuropathy and IBS (neurological issues), as well as compromised immune system, so I certainly fit the assertion of the article above.

Fortunately, I haven't had issues with healthcare.

If you have both obstructive & central apnoea at the same time, it is called complex sleep apnoea.