Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 5:42 pm

If people want to treat me like I'm stupid there's times where I'm going to feel obliged to play along. Kinda like Stewie:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 3:48 pm

I really never recognized being condescended to , or it never happened, until I started being open about my autism. Now i get metaphorical "pats on the head" all the time. Aggravating, but done out of ignorance and still attepmting from their end to be kind. I prefer the condescending attitude to the out and out bullying and hostility I was more accustomed to before diagnosis.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 2:28 am

I remember, shortly after being diagnosed with autism, I was attending a mood management group and I disclosed that I'm autistic. Lots of ooohs and aaahs which I thought was weird. After the meeting I was walking to the bus stop, when I was grabbed by the arm by one of the people in the group and asked if I was ok crossing the road by myself. I was like 'whaaaaa-t' at first and then replied 'yes, I do it all the time.' She then proceeded to walk me all the way to the bus stop even though she was meant to go in the other direction.

This event stuck in my mind though it's not the only time something like this has happened.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:06 am

funeralxempire wrote:
If people want to treat me like I'm stupid there's times where I'm going to feel obliged to play along. Kinda like Stewie:

I have the same thoughts from time to time. Being treated like a simpleton has its advantages. For a start, pleading poverty and overall incapacity is the first that springs to mind.

They might give an autistic all manner of money and free car lifts despite an autistic being a zillionaire with a super car collection.

If they want to be bigots, let them be bigots.

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2023, 1:05 pm

DanielW wrote:
Urselius wrote:
DanielW wrote:
That's exactly why I don't use the lanyard - it causes more problems than it helps with.

It is useful in some airports, I had mine and was fast-tracked through airport security. Judging the length of the queue I saved a good half-hour of standing in a crowded hall - crowds are a big sensory problem for me.

Not really, you can get priority boarding from the ticket agent or at the gate, no lanyard needed.

I'm not American. At the airport I used, if you didn't have a lanyard and reported to the 'assistance desk', they loaned you one for use within the airport. The lanyard was used as a recognition feature, so that staff were aware of non-visible disabilities.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:01 pm

On my cell-phone voice mail message it goes: ^&GBH YYHJK ^%$G B&*((((B and so on. I get asked why the weird message? I tell them; no matter how articulate or successful I am, because I have mild autism I am viewed in a negative way. I guess you could say I oblige them by leaving a message such as this.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 10:12 pm

I'm diagnosed with Schizophrenia (which I don't agree with), ADHD and I think I'm somewhere on the spectrum (maybe mild Aspergers).

I find the schizophrenic diagnosis pretty useful in getting state benefits so I'm not complaining too much.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2023, 6:19 pm

I don't use a lanyard, but I do have a wallet card, and it's the first thing you see if you open my wallet. That way if I feel the need to let someone know, I can pull out the card. In a health crisis or accident, emergency personnel would check my wallet and/or cell phone. My cell phone has an emergency app that also mentions my autism.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................