Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:38 am

Does anyone have any pointers on getting my first credit card.I dont have credit because I used to be a Dave Ramsey devotee when I was in college but not anymore and I thought I would never need credit.I have applied for a 2 credit cards but I got turned down. I just need some suggestions for good starter credit cards for first-timers building their credit.I want to get a credit card because its more secure/safe and also because I want to build credit so I get a mortgage for real estate at some point.Do yall know of any good credit cards to build credit???

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 8:53 am

It’s really easy to get a credit card from Walmart and Amazon. Their standards are pretty low.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Feb 2023, 3:49 am

My 1st credit-card was a secured one from my bank. It was before I got my 1st job & my only income at the time was SSI. My parents did not want to cosign on any cards for me & they only had one credit-card that they barely used. My parents currently have me buy things online for them cuz they don't feel safe using credit-cards. So the secured one seemed like the only viable option at the time. I got my 1st job a couple months later & after working for a couple months I applied for a non-secured one, got accepted, & then I canceled the secured one. My girlfriend got her 1st credit when we moved in together & bought a bed, we opened a joint account with the bed place. If your parents have decent credit you could maybe ask them to cosign on a credit-card for you or some kinda charge account. If they are concerned about what if you screw up like mine were, you could suggest that they don't give you access to the card/account. Or they could list you as an authorized user on some of their credit accounts that you may or may not have access to. Piggybacking on parents credit seems to be a fairly common way for young adults to start developing credit when they graduate high-school & go off to college or start working these days

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:50 am

nick007 wrote:
My 1st credit-card was a secured one from my bank. It was before I got my 1st job & my only income at the time was SSI. My parents did not want to cosign on any cards for me & they only had one credit-card that they barely used. My parents currently have me buy things online for them cuz they don't feel safe using credit-cards. So the secured one seemed like the only viable option at the time. I got my 1st job a couple months later & after working for a couple months I applied for a non-secured one, got accepted, & then I canceled the secured one. My girlfriend got her 1st credit when we moved in together & bought a bed, we opened a joint account with the bed place. If your parents have decent credit you could maybe ask them to cosign on a credit-card for you or some kinda charge account. If they are concerned about what if you screw up like mine were, you could suggest that they don't give you access to the card/account. Or they could list you as an authorized user on some of their credit accounts that you may or may not have access to. Piggybacking on parents credit seems to be a fairly common way for young adults to start developing credit when they graduate high-school & go off to college or start working these days

They wont co-sign for me and they took my debit card so I dont have any way to make any purchases on my own.They dont let me use their credit card to buy stuff aside from food.I lost my social security disability income.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 5:07 am

I'd say try getting a card from capital one. My one daughter got her first card from them.

The card you could get is likely going to be high interest and low limit, with some fees. That's pretty typical of first cards though. I've never known someone to get a decent credit card from the start. One of the perks of capital one though is that they have multiple cards available with varying interest rates and such. As you build credit, they'll send you tons of offers and you can get a better card and either cancel your first one or just stop using it or whatever. They also raise your credit pretty fast if you make your payments. Yeah. I'd say try them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:42 pm

I just went to the bank and they gave me a VISA card.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:39 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I'd say try getting a card from capital one. My one daughter got her first card from them.

The card you could get is likely going to be high interest and low limit, with some fees. That's pretty typical of first cards though. I've never known someone to get a decent credit card from the start. One of the perks of capital one though is that they have multiple cards available with varying interest rates and such. As you build credit, they'll send you tons of offers and you can get a better card and either cancel your first one or just stop using it or whatever. They also raise your credit pretty fast if you make your payments. Yeah. I'd say try them.
That may be worth trying. I went into default on a couple cards a little over three years ago that I'm paying off extremely slowly & Capital One mails me offers every now & then. I've been hesitant about applying though because I expect I'll get rejected, don't want a hard credit inquiry making my score worse only to be rejected, & I don't like the idea of paying an annual fee if I'm actually accepted. I was checking Credit Karma about a week ago(I only have a free membership) & some of the cards in their special offers section had the Karma Guarantee which means Credit Karma is so sure I'll be accepted that they'll give me $50 if I get rejected. I decided to try applying for the one offer that was a regular credit card with no annual fee thinking the $50 would be worth the hard credit inquiry if I was rejected & I got accepted. It's with MERRICK BANK. I don't know anything about em but they're for people wanting to rebuild their credit. The default limit is one thousand & it doubles to two thousand after 7 months of payments. I plan to pay the balance in full every month & won't put a lot on. My credit score went down after I was accepted thou due to the hard credit inquiry, card counting towards amount of new credit, & the card lowering my average age of credit. I figure it likely won't be hurting my score after a few months of responsible use.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 9:22 pm

I got offered a chance to apply for Academy card.I think I may just apply for it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 12:04 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I got offered a chance to apply for Academy card.I think I may just apply for it.
I wish you luck. I got one shortly after I started working there. They gave me a balance transfer deal of 3.99% for the life of the balance which I needed after I quit working there cuz it took a few months before I started getting my SSI again & I had used another card to get by. I quit working there shortly after I got the card cuz I was out too long due to medical reasons. I haven't used the card after the balance got paid off cuz I moved accross the country & no Academy stores are in this region & my other two cards had reward points deals I used. The Academy card got canceled for inactivity.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 12:15 am

nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I wish you luck. I got one shortly after I started working there. They gave me a balance transfer deal of 3.99% for the life of the balance which I needed after I quit working there cuz it took a few months before I started getting my SSI again & I had used another card to get by. I quit working there shortly after I got the card cuz I was out too long due to medical reasons. I haven't used the card after the balance got paid off cuz I moved accross the country & no Academy stores are in this region & my other two cards had reward points deals I used. The Academy card got canceled for inactivity.

Oh okay.Thank you Nick.I appreciate your well wishes.The best part of the offer is the 3 to 6 percent discount on all merchandise in store.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 1:16 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Oh okay.Thank you Nick.I appreciate your well wishes.The best part of the offer is the 3 to 6 percent discount on all merchandise in store.
The discount is kewl. When I got the card I earned points I could use towards a gift-card but I got much better discounts since I was working there at the time. I mostly only bought things there cuz it was convenient & cuz I got discounts. That was about 15 years ago. I suddenly feel old :shrug:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 2:20 am

nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
The discount is kewl. When I got the card I earned points I could use towards a gift-card but I got much better discounts since I was working there at the time. I mostly only bought things there cuz it was convenient & cuz I got discounts. That was about 15 years ago. I suddenly feel old :shrug:

Oh kool.Ya its always good to save money when you can.