Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Have you ever said a word that was wrong?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 58 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 58

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 5:49 pm

Has anyone else ever said the wrong word.....no "mental" control at all; I just said the wrong WORD :!:

Scenario: I've cooked dinner; Mexican stuff; Spanish rice, ground beef w/taco seasoning; diced up some tomatoes & onions...set out the salsa, grated cheese & sour cream, taco shells/tortilla wraps. All buffet style.

I'm eating when teenage daughter walks in. I ask her "Rachel are you going to make your PIZZA?" (emphasis here is all mine, right here to illustrate my point.)

I know we're having Mexican. I THINK I wanted to say "taco" but I said PIZZA....wtf is wrong with me :?: :?: :?:

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

Yep - I've said the wrong word. I was advising a patient that I would set up her wheelchair by the elevator (so she could have a short walk with her walker). It came out "I set up your elevator by your walker" Oops. I just self corrected and my patient got a little chuckle.

In your example, you mixed up "pizza" with "taco" - no biggie. Pizza is a fun food, one can build their own personal pizza, it is often served as fast food. Likewise tacos are a fun food, one can build their own taco and it is often served as fast food. If I was eating tacos, I might also indeed have pizza on my mind and make this mistake.

No worries.

I hope that your daughter enjoyed the tacos. Ole!! !

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

Oh, Lord, I do that all the time.

Or the words just evaporate-- some common word I use all the time, like "broom" or "dustpan" or "pillow-case."

I think the most common word in my spoken vocabulary is "um." Or perhaps "callmewhatchit" (pronounced "com-me-wa-chit").

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

I only do this every time I open my mouth to speak. My family is used to it. We still find it funny sometimes though. At least I can laugh at myself about it. :D

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

I think this happens to everyone at one point or another, spectrumite or NT. My whole family does, and we're 2 on the spectrum, 2 not. This incident usually results in uncontrollable grins, chuckles, or in extreme cases, all out laughter; take it for what it is, a mistake that can turn out to be funny, and let it be!

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

CanadianRose wrote:
Ole!! !

Yep, it was good.....doesn't anyone ever pick an answer in polls anymore?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:18 am

MsMarginalized wrote:
CanadianRose wrote:
Ole!! !

Yep, it was good.....doesn't anyone ever pick an answer in polls anymore?

Pools are too mainstream for most members here :).

Now seriously some people dont notice theres a poll unless you mention it(I know it sounds odd but it happens) so you should probably edit the title to add (poll) or something.

OT: yes Ive said the wrong word plenty of times, I just cant think of a funny example at the moment.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

fantomeq
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2011, 3:56 pm

If I don't speak slowly, I do it ALL the time. I also read long numbers in the wrong order and call my children by the wrong names. They hate that. If I were to do it again, I'd name them "hey you" or give them (short) numbers.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

fantomeq wrote:
If I don't speak slowly, I do it ALL the time. I also read long numbers in the wrong order and call my children by the wrong names. They hate that. If I were to do it again, I'd name them "hey you" or give them (short) numbers.

Yeah, but think of how your kid would hate being called "Two" for all of his life. Or "hey you". You could always name a son "Che" (means "hey you" in 1950s Mexican Spanish) but then he'd grow up to be a tea partier. :oops:

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 7:32 am

I say the wrong word all the time (or the wrong phrase). Almost every morning, I tell my daughter to hurry up and finish her breakfast, when I'm really trying to urge her to get dressed.

Deber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2011, 12:51 pm

I say the wrong word at least once a day, sometimes much more. I forget words. I find it almost impossible to remember names. Add that to the pauses while talking and my voice fading off and I understand why my husband finds it hard to have a conversation with me. When I'm dehydrated, hungry, stressed, in pain or tired I have more problems.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 5:56 pm

all the time.
my language brain seems to randomly "jump the track" and I end up saying a word that has little or nothing to do with what I thought I was aiming to say. my kid thinks it's funny, and most of the time it sort of is, but at this point I'm tired of it and would rather it didn't happen regularly. It made people laugh at me at school and work; after a while I pretty much trained myself not to get hurt feelings about that.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 9:00 pm

yes
I find myself either getting too far ahead of myself so I forget or skip the current word. I also combine words into one

talking with my grandfather years ago in Adirondack Mts on vacation

"lookow faryacansee" < you could see for quite a distance

Detenebrator
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

I don't think I've ever seen poll results with that sort of skew before.

As for me, I never use the wrong word. Never. Just don't ask my wife about that. :wink:

LexF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2011, 7:05 pm

I once said "tantamount" when I meant to say "paramount." I don't think anybody caught it, though.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 11:32 pm

fantomeq wrote:

LOL... I do that too, call my children by the wrong names! They really hate it.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu