How do you find like-minded individuals besides going to...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:32 am

How do you find like-minded individuals besides going to/joining groups? Apart from the workplace and college? Any ideas?

Last edited by smudge on 03 Feb 2019, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 11:50 am

Am I the only person who wants to retch at the numerous amounts of dating and relationship threads where people give the same advice over and over and over again and yet threads like these get ignored?

Come people, you lot are smarter than that. There's more to you people than giving out the same advice. Why not think about a slightly different topic?

I await your good ideas.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:40 pm

smudge wrote:
Am I the only person who wants to retch at the numerous amounts of dating and relationship threads where people give the same advice over and over and over again and yet threads like these get ignored?

Come people, you lot are smarter than that. There's more to you people than giving out the same advice. Why not think about a slightly different topic?

I await your good ideas.

Agreed. I'm sick of hearing people complain about not being able to get "girlfriends" and ignoring the (trite) advice that would allow them to do so. I have a lot more respect for someone like you who genuinely wants an intelligent, human connection with no neediness or lust attached to it.

Unfortunately, I can't offer you much constructive advice; it really does depend on what your interests are. I suppose if you can't accept any of the pathways listed in your original post, then your only option is either to rely on chance or to meet such a person over the internet. To be honest, and you may not want to hear it, I think you - and perhaps most people here - would be better off just learning to accept the asocial life. I've found that human connections - on or off line - with people I actually like tend to sour very, very quickly. There's always something I can't stand about the other person and so I'd rather be alone.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:17 pm

Thanks for your reply. I get you. I would rather like a connection with somebody, involving "neediness" and lust, though. It just feels like in WP that apart from what's going on in the mainstream news, relationships is all anyone ever wants to talk about.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 8:53 pm

Local area network party

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 1:21 pm

The best places to meet people like yourself are the places you go normally. It could be anywhere...but go looking for friendship first. Anyone looking exclusively for a "date" or a romantic partner will usually not find much. Meanwhile, they will often overlook others that could turn into the ideal partner later on.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 1:26 pm

Widen your search as much as possible. Get rid of silly search criteria that has little bearing on how someone thinks.
Just this week two Aspies in love showed up on this forum. They are 250 miles apart but are making it work.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 10:59 pm

I find them coming up to me and asking me about the stuff I built or am doing. Be interesting, not interested. If you want to mate, pick an interesting woman you can enjoy spending time with out of bed as well,and talk about that first. Women want a whole relationship, not just a good time.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Feb 2019, 3:59 pm

One way is just walking down the street. The other day, I saw someone walking their dog and they walked past another person going the other way, and BAM they were instantly friends... I heard them exchange names, and then they just started walking together all giggly and happy after that. I don't get it, that's never happened to me.

One time my best friend (when we were 14) were walking around outside in a neighborhood in the dead of summer sweating our faces off. We started yelling out "does anyone have a pool!?" in hopes that someone heard us and had a pool. Some guy our age came out of his house and let us go swimming in our clothes. We were friends for a while but then we all grew up. Not sure if that helps.

Depending on your geographical location, there is something called Meetups and they are just gatherings facilitated by someone who wanted to start it. Some of them are social groups, some are book clubs, some are ones with kayaking, adventures, art, music, etc. Then there are some that are more philosophical and theological. I've joined a few groups (ASL, and a Beer&Bible one, though I haven't attended yet). It's free and the ones I've been interested in at least are very small crowds.