I get embarrassed by looking younger than I am.....

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KeepThePeace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

I have always had to accept this. But, don't really always like it. Anyone else go through this a lot? I don't even really want to attend events like high school reunions because I look almost the same as I did in high school. At my last job, the first shift lead had little respect for me. Then, she found out how old I really was and started treating me differently. Kinda feels like a handicap! :?

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm

So, you're 35, but you still look like you're 18.
Take advantage of this. Lots of people wish they had what you have. :)

KeepThePeace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

I do have some more life experience than a person who is 19. (i am by no means better than you). but.....my last girlfriend was 40. she didn't look quite that old. but, i think it sometimes made her feel self-concious a little bit.

believe it or not, i am actually looking forward to the small amount of gray hair hiding in my head, to sprout more. the "distinguished" look may come in handy some day.

thanks for the encouragement. i wish i had known i had aspergers at your age. i feel i could have handled college better than i did.

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2011, 12:05 am

KeepThePeace wrote:
(i am by no means better than you).

Damn Straight! :D

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:38 am

KeepThePeace wrote:
I have always had to accept this. But, don't really always like it. Anyone else go through this a lot?

Yep, I get it fairly frequently. "You can't be 46 ... I thought you were 25!" I know people think that's a compliment, but it's really not. I've had people get irrationally annoyed with me because of it ... I guess because it caused them some "cognitive dissonance".

My daughters are 22, and I've several times been mistaken for their sister. They think it's funny.

fragaria
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

Someone recently thought I was about 33 and I'm 49.
I love it.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 11:43 pm

I never tell people my age for this reason people don't believe me if I say my age so I say old enough :evil: or old enough to remember the moon landing. :)

WintersTale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2011, 9:27 am

I hate it as well.

Seems like girls don't give you a chance, when you look like a teenager, either!

KeepThePeace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2011, 10:16 pm

yes....and getting hit on and looked at BY teenagers when you are 35 is totally uncomfortable and awkward....

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 6:57 am

I hate it in my workplace - when I have to meet with external people, they assume I'm really young, have no experience and don't know what I'm doing.

I was interviewing a guy for a position to look after IT while I was on holidays, he condescendingly offered to help me with one of my upcoming projects...... I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself, never said otherwise, never asked for help. Looking and sounding young, combined with being a girl in IT, really sucks.

LususNaturae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2011, 8:18 am

Facial hair helps immensely. I'm 27, and can look mid-30s with facial hair, but I look 19-20 when clean shaven.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

i kind of enjoy people saying it to a degree, but i never know how to respond. i've learned to carry my passport or i can't buy alcohol (i don't drive so i don't have a license). my kid is tired of hearing we look like sisters (one person thought she was the older sister as she's 17 but looks over 18).

i have tried to give people a reason/excuse why i look young (it must be because i am overweight/allergic to sun/childish/dress young) but the fact is... it's just chance and heredity.

KeepThePeace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

I suppose that being called the "older" sister may trip your daughter's trigger...

I remember my dad just beaming with delight when people thought I was his brother when we were out and about. That was like 10 yrs. ago though.

I look less like him now and more like my grandfather on my mother's side. Strangely.....this has only taken place in about the past 3 years of my life.

KeepThePeace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2011, 9:46 pm

hmmmm.......does seem like weight has played a role in this.

little more weight......more like my father.
little less weight.....more like my grandfather.= hereditary :)

Alnitah
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

You might be glad of it when you get to my age :P

Generally people think I'm younger than I am, but the grey hair is starting to be a give away now :D

I (sort of) manage staff and they're all older than me - that's a toughy!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

KeepThePeace wrote:
hmmmm.......does seem like weight has played a role in this.

little more weight......more like my father.
little less weight.....more like my grandfather.= hereditary :)

it doesn't seem like there is an obvious answer. someone told me yesterday that they were creeping my pix on FB, and they found that i looked younger as i got thinner (i lost 85 lb over the last 3 years). he said it was like a reverse aging thing. but i am still overweight so maybe it continues to be somewhat of a factor.

anyway clothing hides the effects of gravity... so i guess i have some youthful camouflage. plus i dye my hair. :lol: