Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 12:42 pm

Hi:
I have social security and I currently have an aunt who has been the rep for 13 years, but as I am getting older, we aren't seeing eye-to-eye anything anymore and this includes the social security situation. She is talking about me getting a different rep as I am not communicating with her as I used to and she is getting fed up with me. So I have been asking lots of questions and getting answers and learning to better self-advocate.

What do I need to do?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 5:42 am

About what, specifically? What do you need to advocate for? The question is a bit too broad to answer.
Also, it may depend on whether or not you can understand what is going on enough to represent yourself. You might be able to if you have a handle on what you need to do and how to do it, but if not, you might need someone else to take over from your aunt to represent your interests. Any other relatives you communicate better with? Or autism services in your area? Often social security will have social workers there to help with these issues, I worked with one of them when dealing with transgender and homeless issues as regards social security a few times and overall, that was positive.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 9:25 pm

My aunt had my social security being deposited into my checking account for 5 years before the social security administration found out and made her put it back into a fiduciary account. At that time, she said that I could get re-evaluated so that I could become my own guardian. However, she has changed her tune and has become very controlling over that account. She wants to re-do my condo and I want to use that money for paying off all of my bills, dental needs, and college tuition.

1. I have been able to pay my own bills
2. I have been able to manage two bank accounts without going over-drawn
3. I am able to handle my own money
4. I have proven to live off my earnings while my aunt has had the lump sums going into the rep account

Now regarding a rep, I have people who I know who are pretty well-rounded in this area who I know outside of my family. I am hoping that they can introduce me to a rep who I am going to connect with outside of family and social services. I would like someone who is responsible but also going to be compatible to my needs and not controlling and looking at me as if I am lesser than they are.