Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

nelleh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2013, 6:51 pm

I am 53 with aspergers. My childhood and adolescents years were very difficult. I'm a mom and had 3 kids in my 20's that was hard but ok. My 30's went ok. So far my 50's are as hard as my teen years with no sign of getting better.

I am so stressed out and life feels out of control. My kids are all adults but they all have problems probably in part from being raised by an aspie mom who didn't know she was aspie till age 49.

I had a breakdown and wound up on a psyc ward for a week and have been getting lots of help since but I just can't seem to pull it together.

Anyone else my age having the same issues?

Money is a big problem I can't get enough work done to pay all of my bills.

I have a husband who is nice but has his own issues and I don't get to be alone as much as I need.

I could go on and on.....

Just looking for support.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:11 pm

hiya Nelleh :) the $$$ worries usually were the top of my list of things to stew over, as well. at least you had a relatively ok 30s.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 8:18 pm

At the moment I'm doing OK, but I've known others that kinda decomped around 50...I think menopause plays a part. I have noticed my ability to focus on tasks has decreased. And I do get less done during the day, but I'm retired so it's OK.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 8:26 pm

Nelleh, you might think this is off the wall, but I firmly believe [I practice it myself] that if you devote an hour each day to vigorous physical exercise outdoors [when it is not too hot] that this one act will clear the cobwebs mentally, and lift your mood.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 9:59 pm

Do a search on WrongPlanet for “Autistic Burnout”
It’s a common topic around here.
I’m not sure what I think of it, but it kinda rings true.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt191301.html

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:19 pm

This one is better.

“Hi Functioning Aspies with a Breakdown in Mid Adulthood?”
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt122215.html

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:21 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
Do a search on WrongPlanet for “Autistic Burnout”
It’s a common topic around here.
I’m not sure what I think of it, but it kinda rings true.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt191301.html

Hmm, looking briefly at some of those threads, I realize that maybe my 'flame out' around 40 was partly due to ASD, not just my partner of 7 years walking out while I was at the grocery store. Totally decomped & haven't worked since. Fortunately, my parents died & left me money, so I retired & have largely restored myself after doing plenty of therapy, during which it was discovered I am on the spectrum. And also tons of meditation.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:39 pm

Wow, that's scary to think about. I came close to one a few months back, and have been trying to make adjustments here and there to avoid that place. What is the hardest is when I've struggled the most is when people pull away--like I suddenly was alien to them. I never realized what a common occurrence it was.

nelleh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2013, 10:44 pm

Wow everyone, thank you all so much! I already do the exercise. I walk 5 miles in an hour and do that every day. It's part of my "routine".

I started the ssdi application. My psyc Dr is in agreement. I know it takes a while to get approved even in the best circumstances. I hope that I can hang on.

Tomorrow is another day. Thank God for that. Extra hard today.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 7:10 am

Good morning, nellah...

Does seem like a re-orientation in mid-life is a good idea for Aspies. I know I'm much happier for having withdrawn from the rat race & worked to develop my own interests. I got into food gardening, moved to the country for the peace & quiet, started working more w/my dogs, learning more about dog training. That gets me outside in the sun & fresh air & I think that's a BIG help. For myself, laying in bed when I feel low just starts the whole toxic cascade.

Stay in touch, OK? :)