Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad were you bullied?
Poll ended at 30 May 2013, 11:18 pm
1 (Not at all) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
4 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
5 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
6 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
7 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
8 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
9 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
10 (every day) 36%  36%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 47

SirzechsLucifer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2013, 11:18 pm

Was anyone else subject to constant and ongoing bullying in middle school and High school? Starting in about 6th grade I started having trouble with the students. Inevitably, I would always get seated in front of the kid who kicked the back of the seat in front of him.

Then in 7th grade, the teachers started to dislike that fact that when they were wrong about something I would correct them in front of the class.

In 8th grade my keyboarding teacher, Mrs. Brown, admitted to me that she failed me because "people like you shouldn't be in classes with the regular students. You don't belong here" In exchange for not contacting the school board about her comment I ended up giving up one day of Christmas break to do extra credit, as per the principals order.

I was just wondering if anyone else went through similar problems?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 4:25 am

From 1st grade and onwards. At first it was about my weight and the fact, that I came from the city (we moved to the country when I was five), but after I had slimmed down, the bullying continued, now because I was too "weird". I have thought, that bullying made me "weird", but I have come to the conclusion, that I was always somewhat different, even as a toddler.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 7:26 am

Basically all of Junior High with the worst coming in Grade 8. Surprisingly I was only 'ribbed' in High School and never bullied but at the time I interpreted it as bullying. I guess that's one nice thing about going to a large High School from a small Junior High. I got lost in the crowd and that was a-ok to me!

I was lightly teased and bullied in elementary school (mostly by kids with mental problems) but it took off late in Grade 6 (last year) because I had an emotional breakdown due to teasing and the tests for childhood leukemia I was undergoing. I couldn't handle it and cried uncontrollably and that was the end of being treated as a human being for several years.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:45 am

All the time, every year, every grade. I remember feeling and being treated as "different" even in kindergarten. It didn't stop until I graduated. In college, at least my intelligence held merit and my professors liked me. My classmates valued my input in the higher level courses (students who were more serious about study at that level).

catwhisperer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2013, 1:41 pm

Yup. Second grade through eighth grade every day. At some times I was terrified to go to school.

The summer before ninth grade, I did everything I could possibly do to stop the torture. I lost weight, started wearing makeup, and agonized over choosing the 'right' clothes at the stores. The changes helped some, but I also developed an eating disorder out of fear and necessity.

WildTaltos
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 10:23 pm

I wsnt alowed to go to schol for varietyy of resons - if it had ben availble to me, my father wuold not have alowed me to go becuse he was embarased of me and thuoght I was dumb as brickks, school wuold have been a wastee of time on me in his opinonn. Had a lot of physical and verbal abues at home from him thuogh my whoel childhood until he kickd me uot of the house at 17.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 11:22 pm

My classmates would bully me, and then my dad would beat me for getting bullied when I got home.

Tomas73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2013, 5:29 am

OK - I put 10, not because of daily bullying, but because of the severity of said bullying when it occurred.

Obviously for many Aspies, every day at school was a struggle. For me though it wasn't constant bullying, but specific incidents (or rather spates of incidents) which occurred periodically throughout my school years, at various different schools.

I guess one can ask the question "what is bullying?". I mean, just being treated differently can be hurtful. For me when think of bullying, it's more like persecution. I recall being the target of an organised system of attacks, where each one of a group of boys in the year/s above me, plus some of there associates from outside of school took turns in physically attacking me as if it where a free-for-all for the day. Amongst other things, at one point I was kicked in the head several times. I had concussion and threw up, went home and fell asleep.

At least it wasn't my Dad, but I'll never forget that; I still have PTSD like symptoms 25 years later.

Last edited by Tomas73 on 20 May 2013, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 7:21 am

I wonder how the numbers in the middle are supposed to be calibrated. There are infinitely many possible ways.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 10:11 am

Didn't really permit it but everyone definitely had the urge.

ROSSVG
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2013, 4:14 pm

I was.

Until a point I was more frightening than they could dream of being.

Oten
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2013, 2:18 am

Yup, all through primary school and high school until I left at 16 because I couldnt handle it any longer. Im 26 now and still have nightly nightmares around the stuff that went on. Im so over the world treating me as a leper when all im doing is trying to live my life without standing on anyones toes.

jag96
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2013, 12:12 pm

Other kids tolerated me during grade school. They didn't particularly like me or try to include me, but they didn't go out of their way to be mean, either. All that changed in sixth grade. From day one, I was labeled "The Weird Kid" and treated accordingly. I spent the next seven years without a single friend. On a daily basis, I was called names, laughed at, insulted, and on occasion shoved, hit or kicked. The teachers pretended not to notice anything. On the few occasions when I complained about the bullying, I was told it was my fault that no one liked me, that I should "try to fit in."
While I know that anxiety and depression are common co-existing features of Asperger's, I strongly suspect that, in my case, they developed as a direct result of the bullying. It has been 23 years since I graduated from high school, and to date I have not attended any of my class reunions (I haven't received invitations to any of them, either, which is telling). I have no contact with anyone I went to school with, nor do I wish to have. I sometimes wonder if people would think twice about mistreating someone for being "different" if they could see the lifetime impact their actions would have on that person. Then again, maybe it wouldn't change anything.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 7:47 am

jag96 wrote:
Other kids tolerated me during grade school. They didn't particularly like me or try to include me, but they didn't go out of their way to be mean, either. All that changed in sixth grade. From day one, I was labeled "The Weird Kid" and treated accordingly. I spent the next seven years without a single friend. On a daily basis, I was called names, laughed at, insulted, and on occasion shoved, hit or kicked. The teachers pretended not to notice anything. On the few occasions when I complained about the bullying, I was told it was my fault that no one liked me, that I should "try to fit in."
While I know that anxiety and depression are common co-existing features of Asperger's, I strongly suspect that, in my case, they developed as a direct result of the bullying. It has been 23 years since I graduated from high school, and to date I have not attended any of my class reunions (I haven't received invitations to any of them, either, which is telling). I have no contact with anyone I went to school with, nor do I wish to have. I sometimes wonder if people would think twice about mistreating someone for being "different" if they could see the lifetime impact their actions would have on that person. Then again, maybe it wouldn't change anything.

Sounds like my story in a nutshell. It also started in sixth grade for me and before that, I wasn't liked but not exactly loathed either. In fact, kids were jealous of how smart I was and wished they could keep up with me. I also agree my anxiety and depression developed because of the bullying but so called "experts" just couldn't make the connection and back then, NOBODY could believe a 6'4" kid could be bullied (good luck fighting back against an angry mob) I should add I had a big, tough, hot tempered kid as a friend until halfway through six so that might be why I was never treated THAT badly.

I was also told by "experts" to "fit in" and was given scripts of how to act and that made things ten times worse. Everyone could see I had no idea how to "act normal" and it made me look even weirder. Worst advice I was ever given! School was like a prison yard except the guards er teachers practically encouraged bullying and intimidation tactics against those with an independent streak. Conspiracy theories aside, I now know this is no accident or coincidence.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2013, 9:32 am

Yes, I had a dismal childhood. I was bullied at school to the point of playing truant because I was too upset to go to school. And when I got home I was physically and mentally abused by my father, so no escape or sympathy there. I spent much of my life blaming my problems on my abusive father, never realising I had Aspergers, which accounts for quite a chunk of my difficulties. that's not to say that he didn't have a huge impact on my development, his violence probably compounded the problems Aspergers brought to my life. And certainly it took longer for me to discover my underlying Aspergers because I'd always subscribed to the abusive parent theory.

I've long since forgiven my tormentors at school, they were just dumb kids who had no concept of the damage they caused (and in many cases probably had problems / abusive backgrounds themselves). But my father I will never forgive or forget, after all your parents are supposed to protect and nurture, not demean and torture.

SwedishFroshMafia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2013, 10:31 pm

Happened a few times thru my years at school, but it wasn't that terrible. Some things done included my height and first name being mocked. An d now in Grade 12, some people in one of my class give me a cold attitude just cuz I'm not good at that subject.... well they don't have the math talents that I have :twisted: :lol: