Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

I'm so busy working full-time, a physical job that exerts me that way too.... also I don't make a lot of money so I have to "juggle" my bills around (nightmare itself)... I'm fully loaded, to the max, no more reserve energy for anything; so, with this in mind, I have begun to see things like, visiting my parents, as more "chores" or "things I have to do" Because it's ALL THINGS I HAVE TO DO! There is so little me time right now that I can count the hours in a week on one hand. Yeah, starting to really want to hide, and I keep having these times at work or with my husband or on an outing that I'm not enjoying myself at all, just keep thinking about how much I have to get done or figure out by a certain time-- ALL THE TIME.

So, asking people here, do you find yourselves ever putting important people on your "to-do list" because you can't switch gears to "having fun" from "doing @(%&$#%crazy amount of work"!? It's causing some hurt feelings and I wish terribly to stop, but I have two modes, work and play... I try to play while I work and work while I play but it doesn't work out very well at all. Also scheduling me time seems selfish... I take an extra 5 or 10 minutes in my car here or there or maybe try to hurry to finish my work early to have an hour before I see my husband after he gets out of work.

Can anyone relate to this? I end up with lots of frustration and negative emotions; further pushing people away when I don't want to.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 7:36 pm

Yes and Absolutely.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

If you switched your screen name with mine, and I saw this, I would wonder when I wrote it. Well, I guess I'd also wonder when I took on a husband, but otherwise, yes, I can certainly relate.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

CapriciousAgent wrote:
If you switched your screen name with mine, and I saw this, I would wonder when I wrote it. Well, I guess I'd also wonder when I took on a husband, but otherwise, yes, I can certainly relate.

LOL

Tomas73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

Wow, yeah - ' definately relate to that.

Stealing time for myself is often tainted with guilt. Always feel like I should be on the case, trying to take control of responsibilities.

I think we need quality time to ourselves, not just a bit here and there.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

Tomas73 wrote:
Wow, yeah - ' definately relate to that.

Stealing time for myself is often tainted with guilt. Always feel like I should be on the case, trying to take control of responsibilities.

I think we need quality time to ourselves, not just a bit here and there.

Indeed.

Glad to read you all can relate. :)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

kirayng wrote:
'm fully loaded, to the max, no more reserve energy for anything; so, with this in mind, I have begun to see things like, visiting my parents, as more "chores" or "things I have to do" Because it's ALL THINGS I HAVE TO DO!

Absolutely. I have been working on a large project for the last month and those "fun social things" on the weekend would take energy I just don't have. My wife has a hard time understanding this. I think she gets more energy from those things. These are the times when if I actually have some free time, I need quiet time without the demands of people.

torquemada
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

kirayng wrote:
I'm so busy working full-time, a physical job that exerts me that way too.... also I don't make a lot of money so I have to "juggle" my bills around (nightmare itself)... I'm fully loaded, to the max, no more reserve energy for anything; so, with this in mind, I have begun to see things like, visiting my parents, as more "chores" or "things I have to do" Because it's ALL THINGS I HAVE TO DO! There is so little me time right now that I can count the hours in a week on one hand. Yeah, starting to really want to hide, and I keep having these times at work or with my husband or on an outing that I'm not enjoying myself at all, just keep thinking about how much I have to get done or figure out by a certain time-- ALL THE TIME.

So, asking people here, do you find yourselves ever putting important people on your "to-do list" because you can't switch gears to "having fun" from "doing @(%&$#%crazy amount of work"!? It's causing some hurt feelings and I wish terribly to stop, but I have two modes, work and play... I try to play while I work and work while I play but it doesn't work out very well at all. Also scheduling me time seems selfish... I take an extra 5 or 10 minutes in my car here or there or maybe try to hurry to finish my work early to have an hour before I see my husband after he gets out of work.

Can anyone relate to this? I end up with lots of frustration and negative emotions; further pushing people away when I don't want to.

Yes. Absolutely relate. Currently making drastic changes due to burnout contributed to by exactly this kind of scenario. Take care of yourself.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

Yes. Even my own child is a chore. I clock-watch and count down the hours until his bedtime, which is terrible.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
Yes. Even my own child is a chore. I clock-watch and count down the hours until his bedtime, which is terrible.

Wow. I'm so glad to find I'm not the only one guilty of this. (sorry)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 3:55 am

How do I delete this?

Last edited by Jensen on 19 Jul 2013, 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 3:59 am

Yes, I can, - absolutely, - even at reduced work time, - and it makes me feel like a creep.

Last edited by Jensen on 19 Jul 2013, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 5:23 pm

Yes, I can relate to this, too. In my case, I think working in social services and dealing with people and their problems all day doesn't help. When I get off work, I just want quiet and to rest, but it's often really hard to let go of what I dealt with at work that day enough to allow myself to recharge and relax, if that makes sense.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm

I feel really bad because I have a quiet life and get alot of me time, but even then, visiting people is things I have to do. I went to a party out of obligation the other week and spent the whole time wishing I could be at home enjoying myself, but being with people is a thing I have to do. Visiting family is a thing I have to do. When I don't make time for them I feel guilty. More so now I see how busy other people are.