Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2014, 8:44 pm

ZaphodsCloset wrote:
kicker wrote:
Edited to add: besides if the OP looks hard enough they could probably identify his style of writing and figure out that they only need to actually every other paragraph or every third. Everyone has a pattern to their writing style and how they organize thoughts. Making that "wall of text" much easier to read.

I've tried hard, thought several times I'd mapped it ... and still missed what Marvin had felt were key points. Maybe I'm lacking some cognitive skill?

Plus, I'm pretty sure the burden of communication work lies more heavily with the party who more desires to understand or be understood. In this case, meaning it's not on me to work that hard at deciphering. But that might be something I picked up in a sales-for-engineers seminar.

Well, I believe that the one who knows better should either be understanding, compassionate and try to lead by example or be wise enough to know that they have been bested.

Tomas73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

Quote:
I agree. I would love to get constructive criticism about what I did rather than that find myself in that situation where the vibe becomes noticeably guarded or off put, and I'm left trying to piece together what happened.

Me too!

Tomas73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2014, 6:28 pm

Quote:

Well, I believe that the one who knows better should either be understanding, compassionate and try to lead by example or be wise enough to know that they have been bested.

Yup, ignoring wouldn't be kind, much better to humour and guide if need be.

I used to "chew my friends ear off", and he'd cut me short with a quip like: "How many coffees have you had Tom?" I wouldn't get it unless he smiled and said it in such a way that it was obvious he was teasing me, but I didn't mind, because it's so much less hurtful than someone, looking at their watch and saying they have to be somewhere. If I couldn't be derailed that easily, he'd just say: "look, you're ruminating too much about this" and then he'd change the subject.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 6:55 pm

Tomas73 wrote:
Yup, ignoring wouldn't be kind, much better to humour and guide if need be.

I used to "chew my friends ear off", and he'd cut me short with a quip like: "How many coffees have you had Tom?" I wouldn't get it unless he smiled and said it in such a way that it was obvious he was teasing me, but I didn't mind, because it's so much less hurtful than someone, looking at their watch and saying they have to be somewhere. If I couldn't be derailed that easily, he'd just say: "look, you're ruminating too much about this" and then he'd change the subject.

Good friend.

I wish more people would have done this with me. I think I'd have responded to it. Better than letting me keep doing it over and over again, getting more and more frustrated, then snapping at me when they just can't take it anymore, leaving me embarassed at how I've been bugging the crap out of someone I actually like (and if I'm talking that much to you it definitely means I enjoy your company, which only makes it sting all the more when I realize how inconsiderate I've been) and feeling like I have to avoid the person from then on.

I mean, I know its not people's job to prevent me from annoying them. That's my responsibility. But, try as I might, I'm gonna screw up sometimes and if there's anything a person likes about me at all, if there's a part of them that wants me as a friend, then handling it the way your friend did is by far the kinder option.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View