The Dino-Aspie Cafe (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 104 of 247 [ 3937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 247  Next

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 12:46 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
That's 12 with ringing in the ears. PostPaleo, ZanneMarie, CosmicCat, Lau, Hartzofspace, SeriousGirl,Tomart, Sinsboldly, YowlingCat, Krex, Rjaye, Prof_Pretorius.

Anyone else?

Make it thirteen. I have a bumblebee just inside my right ear, but she's a loud one and she sings, sometimes.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2007, 1:08 pm

snif, it's so nice to belong somewhere... I'm part of a group of older, creaky Aspies with ringing in the ears, ah, Life is Good! :D

Seriously, Lau and Merle, you're onto something; people are good at dismissing what they don't understand, especially if it's some ability they don't have...

I've always seen patterns, shapes in random visual fields, like some semi-abstract wallpaper or textured carpet; I think that's part of what got me interested in drawing. And yes, with a richly modulated pinkish noise (pink noise I think is what they call white noise in a lower register, better suited to the human hearing range) like a nearby babbling brook, I've heard what seems like radio - bits of music, voices. The human brain is a wonderful creation; I'm so pleased to have one. And I would love to get into researching how it works, but at my age, starting over seems too daunting.

EDIT --- I came back and added this: The aural experience I mentioned above is quite a lot like the segue segment in Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here - there's some static, bits of radio tuning in & out, then the music starts up again. I found myself waiting for the music to start again... :)

Last edited by tomart on 20 Apr 2007, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 1:10 pm

Lau wrote:
OK cosmiccat, lets do this more sensibly. Out of the 65 dinos, hands up those who DON'T hear at least a background (fairly indescribable) hiss. ALso, have we all heard of the Mosquito ringtone? I can always hear this, but one of my eight players distorts it so badly that it's easy. It may even be the wrong sound, anyway, as the Wikipedia version of it is totally easy to hear (and seems to be nowhere near the top of my hearing range - which I know goes up rather farther than average).

Interesting, that my players should vary so much. Only my VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/) lets me hear the modulated tones on top of the 17KHz signal. I'm not certain that it's not an artifact. Anyone got the ears, etc, to tell me?

I'm not sure what you mean. I have WMP and Winamp installed. I have not tried VLC, but both of those players allow me to hear a warbled or modulated tone near the top of my hearing in my bad ear, but well within range in the other. I also sent the mp3 file you posted into Irfanview, which is simply a file viewer. It's more "noisy" or maybe distorted, but still audible as a modulated tone. I have a nice sound card installed also, though.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 1:58 pm

tomart wrote:
snif, it's so nice to belong somewhere... I'm part of a group of older, creaky Aspies with ringing in the ears, ah, Life is Good! :D

Seriously, Lau and Merle, you're onto something; people are good at dismissing what they don't understand, especially if it's some ability they don't have...

I've always seen patterns, shapes in random visual fields, like some semi-abstract wallpaper or textured carpet; I think that's part of what got me interested in drawing. And yes, with a richly modulated pinkish noise (pink noise I think is what they call white noise in a lower register, better suited to the human hearing range) like a nearby babbling brook, I've heard what seems like radio - bits of music, voices. The human brain is a wonderful creation; I'm so pleased to have one. And I would love to get into researching how it works, but at my age, starting over seems too daunting.

I meant to post this before. I like material with patterns in it and I will get lost in the patters until I see all the fibers of the thread. Pretty hard to describe to people and most don't believe it. I like it though. It's pretty cool.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 2:39 pm

tomart wrote:
... I've always seen patterns, shapes in random visual fields, like some semi-abstract wallpaper or textured carpet...
I refer you to "Migraine" by Oliver Sacks. There are
some pictures here. What I get, when it does the "scintillating scotoma" effect, is quite intelligible, to me. If I were more artistic, I could paint it. In fact, maybe I will. It'll give me a good excuse to finally get around to working out how to produce animated GIFs.

Briefly(?), a patch of the visual field, typically a slightly blobby "C" shape, will seem to be made up of lines going diagonally across it, and cross-hatched as well. The whole thing will be very thinly multicoloured, with the colouration cycling rapidly through the whole spectrum. It will be somewhat away from the centre of vision, hence making it difficult to "focus" on, as you can't!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 2:52 pm

A question for the experts ,if you dont mind.....?

I have always had short term memory issues and some problems remembering long term personal events....others are very deeply ingrained(even a dream from around 4 or 5?)All the memories are like a photo album of "snap shots".Both,have gotten increasingly poor with age but I am also wondering if being on anti-depressants has effected it.

I have very good "muscle memory".....if I have done something at work,I tend to remember it for long periods of time.But I can(please excuse this example but it is a bit disturbing to me and never used to happen),after removing a tampon,I forget to use a new one.This can be a bit embarrassing in public,when I hav the "uh oh" moment.

I dont know exactly when this began but I didnt notice it until I began learning about AS and reviewing my memories of my childhood,teens,twenties......when I try and recall these periods,there appear to be doors that wont open and an internal voice
pushing at my back,saying....."move along,nothing to see here",there is an over powering averssion to trying to "recall".The only way I seem to break through this is when someone else mentions something in their past and then....bang,I see the photo I had totally forgotten about.

I am not sure I described this coheriently?What got me thinking about this "issue" and possible connection with history of anti-depressants.(most recently....200mg Zoloft,from 1995?-2000........75mgEffexor 2001-2007)is my sister had several "shock treatments"(before I could get her out of the hospital....I wasnt her guardian,so they didnt tell me about it when they began them),and now has a lot of memory problems.I am wondering if long term use of anti-depressants have the same memory
inhibiting effect?There does seem to be some logic in blocking memorys,some of them painful,and helping with the problem of "ruminting on the negative",that seems to come with depression........

Or is it just age and time?

Opinions,experiences?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 3:01 pm

200 mg of Zoloft seems excessive. I take 25 mg and it takes the edge off anxiety. I couldn't imagine taking 8 times as much.

Lau, I read Oliver Sack's Migraine years ago because hubby used to have migraines. I'm currently re-reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 3:10 pm

Lau wrote:
tomart wrote:
... I've always seen patterns, shapes in random visual fields, like some semi-abstract wallpaper or textured carpet...
I refer you to "Migraine" by Oliver Sacks. There are
some pictures here. What I get, when it does the "scintillating scotoma" effect, is quite intelligible, to me. If I were more artistic, I could paint it. In fact, maybe I will. It'll give me a good excuse to finally get around to working out how to produce animated GIFs.

Briefly(?), a patch of the visual field, typically a slightly blobby "C" shape, will seem to be made up of lines going diagonally across it, and cross-hatched as well. The whole thing will be very thinly multicoloured, with the colouration cycling rapidly through the whole spectrum. It will be somewhat away from the centre of vision, hence making it difficult to "focus" on, as you can't!

I get that effect the day before I have a migraine. That's how I know one is coming on.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 4:04 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:

Lau, I read Oliver Sack's Migraine years ago because hubby used to have migraines. I'm currently re-reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

"An Anthropologist on Mars", very interesting book. It's the one where he interviewed Temple Grandin.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 4:12 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
"An Anthropologist on Mars", very interesting book. It's the one where he interviewed Temple Grandin.

Yup, an excellent read as is Awakenings. I think all the curbie parents should read that one.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 4:33 pm

Krex, you could almost define autism as living in the present moment, oblivious or indifferent to the past and future.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 4:42 pm

That's strange as I have an almost photographic memory starting from about 5. I can run events in my life like videotape.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 5:03 pm

Hello. I have ringing or dogs howling or crowd roaring noises as constant companions, but the sounds do not override what else is going on around me. Usually I don't notice them until I think about them and when I take out my hearing aids at bedtime. To focus on something else than the noise, I read a book until I drop it, and then I instantly go to sleep.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2007, 5:45 pm

I was amazed and glad to hear that other people hear things under a white noise. Whenever I run my a/c on fan, or actual cooling, I can hear conversations, arguments, and dialogue from radio and tv shows. I, too, get out of bed and prowl around looking for the culprit source. And the theories set forth by Lau are intriguing.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2007, 5:56 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070419/ ... pheresings

Think us Aspies can hear this? :)

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 6:16 pm

+Only an aspie could be trusted to explore the area of the human brain that you are discussing. I for one would like to know more, but as you say don't let anyone 'cure' you.

We only want UbbyUbbyUbby to survive in RW so that he can get on with his life. The more I sit in this coffee shop the more I understand the gifts he's been given. The curriculum teaches him lots of things like how to begin a coversation, how to end a conversation etc. We've only had it a week so don't know too much.

Been thinking about a signature. Could be "hold on to your differences' but not quite right.